Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copenhell 2012 - Day 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copenhell 2012 - Day 2
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 2:26am
And so it came to be, the second day of Copenhagen's biggest metal festival Copenhell had arrived. Like day one, it was full of strong performances from both iconic metal artists and upcoming metal artists. The weather remained tolerable and the sun was shining most of the afternoon, while the clouds did turn grey in the late afternoon. Of course, I didn't catch all of the acts, but I got to see the bands I wanted to see.

Redwood Hill:

Danish post-black metal performed buy guys clad in hooded black ropes. I didn't catch this show, but I can imagine that it was entertaining.

Saxon:

This legendary NWoBHM-band played alrady at 14:30 in the afternoon which is ridiculously early for such a band (they did have some ironic comments about that as part of their stage banter, and the audience was of course more than sympathetic). And, bey, did Saxon rock hard. It might have been at 14:30 in the afternoon in 2012, but they rocked like it was 21:00 in 1985, and their no-nonsense straight up classic metal went straight into the hearts of the audience, who loved every second of the Saxon gig. Saxon proved that you can never get to old to rock and that they can still take on younger and more aggressive and brutal bands and come put victorious. For my money, the Saxon show was one of the highlights of the day.

Dying Fetus:
The legendary brutal death metal trio - although not the most interesting act to watch on stage - showed that they are definitely very good live band when it comes to musical performance. The sheer brutality of the riffage was enough to send the crowd into a state of moshing rage, and the precision with which they performed their set was also quite incredible. They did have a couple of extended breaks in which they tuned their instruments, and - while this is a reflection of professional perfectionism - they also lost the connection with the audience, and I spotted several people walking out on the act in every one of these gaps of silence. Then again, the hardcore Dying Fetus fans stuck around and loved every second of the entire gig.

Cerekloth:
Old school death metal from Denmark. I missed this act because they played at the same time as Dying Fetus - not a smart move from the organizers to have two death metal bands play at the same time.

Meshuggah:
The kings of djent graced Copenhell with their presence and drew a big crowd who were not disappointed with the Swedish tech metallers' performance. They played so incredibly loud and so incredibly well that even people who are not really fans of the band - such as myself - could do nothing but admire the band for their professionalism.

The Kandidate:
The Kandidate went on stage at the same time as Korpiklaani, but still drew a quite big crowd. With the d-beat filled crossover death-thrash, their music and performance had just the right amount of energy to make the crowd throw devil horns and bang their heads. The Kandidate simply delivered a raw and rocking performance, and did a very good job of it.

Korpiklaani:
I managed to catch a couple of songs from the Korpuklaani set. With their polka-based folk metal and songs about beer and tequila, their aim was to create a positive and lighthearted atmosphere. They seemed to be successful in their quest, as the audience generally seemed happy, doing pseudo-folk dance steps and singing along.

Immortal:
The sons of Northern darkness delivered a hell of a show complete with misty smoke screens and darkly epic stage visuals, and a massive wall of Marshall cabinets. They stayed in character throughout the show, with Apollyon glaring threateningly at the audience, and Abbath doing his warrior-like facial expressions and delivering chaotic guitar solos and harsh black metal vocals, while Horgh blasted away behind his drum kit. Immortal delivered the goods!

Saturated, I decided to leave before time, and did not see Trivium, Lamb of God, Soulfly and Marilyn Manson. I had already seen Lamb of God live before and I was never a big fan of the three other bands. With Saxon, The Kandidate, and Immortal, I'd really gotten what I came for, so I decided to go home and have some quality time with a deep pan pizza and my significant other. Some might consider that a failure, but i got what I came for at Copenhell 2012 and did not need to see the four last acts. I've heard that especially Lamb of God and Marilyn Manson were very good, so I am sure that they left their fans happy.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 3:50am
Meshuggah and Lamb of God were the highlights for me. Meshuggah was a near religious experience for me while Lamb of God surprised me big time. I�ve never thought their albums were that interesting, but they are a really well playing live act. They conjured up the largest circle pit I�ve ever seen. A great connection with their audience.

Immortal mehErmm (I slept through half the show so I�m probably not qualified to judge them correctly).

SaxonThumbs Up

Dying Fetus good performance one-dimensional music.

KorpiklaaniErmm. No I just can�t stand the foolish nature of folk metal like that. Maybe if I had been more drunk. Professional and pretty wild live show though.

Trivium. Very well playing band with a great connection to their audience. I don�t really like the music though.

Soulfly were pretty good too.

Marilyn Manson. Terrible sound, alright show but overall a really dull experience.

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:07am
Lamb of God are an incredible live band while their albums can sound a bit sterile, so I can understand if they totally surprised you.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 7:10am
Glad you guys had a great time! 

Incredibly for me it's nearly 25 years since I first saw Saxon, what an awesome band.

It's good to hear they can still compete.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 7:25am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

KorpiklaaniErmm. No I just can�t stand the foolish nature of folk metal like that. Maybe if I had been more drunk. 

A wise-ass once said that if a band is going to assume that its target audience is going to be too drunk to consciously evaluate their music, then their music probably isn't that good to begin with.

Spirit of the Forest fits those words exactly.  I'd probably appreciate them a little more if the music was more well played like Finntroll.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 7:52am
Big smile
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:23am
Some pics from Gaffa's gallery:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:24am
Great picsClap
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:26am
...and man their corpse paint remind me more of Kiss than of "evil" looking black metal corpse paint.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:28am
A shame you slept through the gig... it was one of the best metal concerts I've seen in a long time. The atmosphere was perfect, and so was the timing - they went on just as dusk started to fall.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:32am
I only slept through half the concertBig smile. I guess the sound was just pretty messy from where I sat and as I�m not really a fan of the band or know their music too well the songs soon sounded too much the same to me and I fell asleep on one of the nice grassy hills (who would have thought that Immortal had a sedating effect on meLOL). I think I heard the first couple of songs and the last 3 or 4.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:38am
Oh yeah.... the hills. I like the hills. Perfect for old geezers like us who are too fragile for the moshpit ;-)

I was up front during the Immortal gig. With the other shows, I spent half the show on the hill watching from afar and half the show down in from - but at a safe distance from the moshers and slammers.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:40am
Yeah I didn�t participate in any moshing activity at any of the shows either. Did some good bangin� thoughHeadbangerEspecially the Lamb of God show made my neck soar.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:40am

This guy likes his metal!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:48am
LOL Damn that�s one hell of a picture. Nice zombie girl in the background tooBig smile.

Edited by UMUR - 18 Jun 2012 at 7:49am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:05am
The redhead with the Maiden t-shirt?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:55am
Looks like a boy to me. The blondeTongue
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:36am
I wasn't sure, but now you mention it, it is probably a dude. The blonde in the background looks way too happy to be at an Immortal show!!! I think I've become immune to blonde girls - I have so many of them in my classes at university, you see.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:48am
I'm not used to seeing blonde and brains in the same sentence over here! Especially if you add the county Essex to it LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:53am
Ah yes, the iconic Essex girl.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic