MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal songs you can relate to

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal songs you can relate to
    Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 5:25pm

Edited by Doomster - 26 Nov 2014 at 11:37am
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 8:04pm

Edited by IMPF2112 - 29 Sep 2012 at 6:14pm
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:28am
As of the past two years I have really started to identify with most Hatebreed songs on the lyrical subject of self improvement, becoming a better person, and general messages of positivity.
That's most of their songs, so no real point in pointing out one.

When I was a teen I used to really identify with Slipknot's I Am Hated, but not at all anymore.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 9:47pm
My Friend of Misery - great music and all together truthful words. Also, most of Megadeth's recent political rant songs. Even when I'm not a fan of the composition itself, I can't help but agree that the government is failing in all arenas, and that Dave's old anarchy mantra's have a little more to them then I gave them credit for.

ugh...so disgusted with our government. it's not liberals or conservatives, it's corruption on both sides at all levels.

Okay, I'm not trying to start a political fight here so feel free not to open a can of worms here, if you reply to this message.

Also, when I am in the aforementioned dark place, End of All Hope by Nightwish fits the bill nicely.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:41am
On the social side, I find that I have quite a bit to relate to with Brutal Truth's Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses, particularly "Birth of Ignorance" for addressing religion as a force just as evil (in my opinion more evil) as either side of the political spectrum, "Walking Corpse" for talking about the evils of preconditioning (in my opinion, especially religion based), and "Anti-Homophobe" which should be self-explanatory.

Originally posted by Nick Dilley Nick Dilley wrote:

Also, when I am in the aforementioned dark place, End of All Hope by Nightwish fits the bill nicely.

Funny thing about this dark place, it's usually the music gets me there and not the other way around.  But, it's usually stuff like Esoteric, Evoken, or something similar that conjures up this thick atmosphere that convinces me that I do not want to leave the dark place.  I'm the one who looks down the abyss and is awed by its depth.
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:53am
Restricting to the metal sphere it's not too easy to find. However I can highly relate to the lyrics of the Sick of It All song "Just Look Around":

The question they keep asking me
how can one so young be so bitter and angry
well, the answer is plain to see
maybe if they wern't so blind they'd see what i see
i see diseases and modern plagues of our times

I see the whites that hate the blacks
blacks against the jews, race against religion
and the're all too blind to see

what kind of a nation lets their children die
government's corrupt and full of red tape
then you're gonna ask me why i hate

While I don't associate it with any tragic event that happened in my life, I do relate a lot with them, especially the first part.

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

When I was a teen I used to really identify with Slipknot's I Am Hated, but not at all anymore.

Well I think that all of us went through that phase once.

Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:59pm
It's only now I realized how much I relate to the lyrics for Fear of the Dark.

Have you run your fingers down the wall
And have you felt your neck skin crawl
When you�re searching for the light?
Sometimes when you�re scared to take a look
At the corner of the room
You�ve sensed that something�s watching you.

Have you ever been alone at night
Thought you heard footsteps behind
And turned around, and no-one�s there?
And as you quicken up your pace
You find it hard to look again
Because you�re sure there�s someone there.

I sure as fuck know I have! Plenty of times. I don't know why, I normally would consider myself to be a pretty rational person, but whenever I'm alone late at night, whether it be taking a walk in the dark outside or lying by myself in bed, I always get strange unnerving feelings, like there something else in the room with me, or I think I see something move in the darkness for a second, and that song describes it pretty accurately.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

I sure as fuck know I have! Plenty of times. I don't know why, I normally would consider myself to be a pretty rational person, but whenever I'm alone late at night, whether it be taking a walk in the dark outside or lying by myself in bed, I always get strange unnerving feelings, like there something else in the room with me, or I think I see something move in the darkness for a second, and that song describes it pretty accurately.

Have you ever felt that feeling to be fascinating at the same time?  Usually, I use music to augment the atmospheric darkness.  I took advantage of some time I used to walk around the wilderness when camping down in West Virginia in the dark to listen to Striborg's Solitude.  Nothing but my iPod and an LED lantern at about 11-12 midnight.  Though I've thought the yearning for sleep might also help, I don't feel it right now at this time of night typing this.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:35am
This song speaks the truth:

Jeg snakkede engang med en fyr
Som intet vidste om dansk natur
Jeg sagde "under hver eneste banke
ligger der en fj�sing p� lur."

Fj�sing fj�sing ul�kker fisk

Fj�sing fj�sing vammel og bidsk
Fj�sing fj�sing fortjener at lide
Fj�sing fj�sing det er nu du skal bide

S� stod vi der og dybbede t�r'

I den hedeste b�lge
Jeg sagde: "hver gang du en sandorm ser
s� skal en fj�sing f�lge."

Ligesom en soldat hedder Jens

Og en autonom hedder S�ren
S� hedder en sandorm Christoffer
Og en fj�sing hedder BENT!

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 5:08am
I can relate to this one...

Tongue

Actually, in all seriousness though, lots of the lyrics from late-period Death albums really appeal to me. Chuck Schuldiner manages to criticize things like religion and government without ever coming across like an angry idiot. Listen to the lyrics here for instance:

Built from blind faith

Passed down from self-induced fantasy
Turn a page to justify
Conjuring power - it opens wide
On your seventh day,
is that how it's done?
Twisting your eyes to perceive
all that you want
To assume from ignorance
inflicting wounds with your
cross-turned dagger

Inside crystal mountain

Evil takes its form
Inside crystal mountain
Commandments are reborn

All the traps are set to confine

All who get in the way of the divine
In sight and in mind of the hypocrite
A slave to the curse forever confined

Shatter the myth

Don't cut yourself
On your words against
Dreams made of steel
Stronger then any faith
That inflicts pain and fear,
is that how it's done?
Twisting your eyes to perceive
all that you want
To assume from ignorance
inflicting wounds with your
cross-turned dagger

Inside crystal mountain

Evil takes its form
Inside crystal mountain
Commandments are reborn

The obvious criticisms of religion are apparent, but delivered intelligently and concisely. Very different from something you would expect from Deicide or something of that ilk.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 5:49am
Plus "Crystal Mountain" is simply just a kick-ass song in all respects.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Plus "Crystal Mountain" is simply just a kick-ass song in all respects.

That goes without saying! ClapHeadbanger
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Have you ever felt that feeling to be fascinating at the same time?  Usually, I use music to augment the atmospheric darkness.  I took advantage of some time I used to walk around the wilderness when camping down in West Virginia in the dark to listen to Striborg's Solitude.  Nothing but my iPod and an LED lantern at about 11-12 midnight.  Though I've thought the yearning for sleep might also help, I don't feel it right now at this time of night typing this.

Sometimes I often will do just that, and listen to music that will make the atmosphere even darker, although sometimes if I'm really really starting to get seriously freaked out, especially on nights when I decide to sleep in my basement,  I may listen to some really cheesy Power Metal in order to kind of ease out the tension. Tongue

Edited by IMPF2112 - 19 Jul 2012 at 8:27am
FallingxSkies View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FallingxSkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 2:25am
I can relate to the song Hollow by Pantera
 mainly because of two situations. one being how my mom and I used to be pretty close but now its like she thinks i'm all evil and trying to make her miserable so she kinda ignores me now which is weird since i'm stuck in that house for two more years.
 another is how I'm losing touch with people I considered my best friends. I move a lot and I finally found people who I trust but when I saw them last we couldn't even hold up a good convo. We all changed you know heading in different directions. one friend towards raves and drugs another just lying to be popular and one i'm trying really hard to stay friends with!
  sounds pretty angsty and like a typical teen complaining huh -_-;
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 2:45am
^Yeah being a teen isn�t always easy. Friends come and go, but rest assure you�ll find other friends later in life too if you are willing to work for it.

...the thing with your mother (I read in another thread that you said she is very religious and I guess that�s why you feel she thinks you are "evil") is probably only a phase. Most parents absolutely adore their kids even though they have times where they don�t agree with the decisions made by them. I don�t know what the situation is with you and your mother but if you are gonna live in the same house together for the next two years I�d try and talk to her and patch up the worst differences. There are of course things parents shouldn�t interfere in when you are 17 (IMO). Choice of music is one of them.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 5:52am
Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" was, more or less, the soundtrack of my teenage years. Except that it wasn't too late for me and I'm able to enjoy life.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 6:50am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^Yeah being a teen isn�t always easy. Friends come and go, but rest assure you�ll find other friends later in life too if you are willing to work for it.

...the thing with your mother (I read in another thread that you said she is very religious and I guess that�s why you feel she thinks you are "evil") is probably only a phase. Most parents absolutely adore their kids even though they have times where they don�t agree with the decisions made by them. I don�t know what the situation is with you and your mother but if you are gonna live in the same house together for the next two years I�d try and talk to her and patch up the worst differences. There are of course things parents shouldn�t interfere in when you are 17 (IMO). Choice of music is one of them.
That's truly wise and open-minded thing to say Smile Jonas never fails to deliver, haha, no joke !

I think being a teen is one of the most difficult episodes in life, can't say that being in your 20s is particularly easy though. I heard a lot of people saying that real life begins in your 30s, when you are truly independent, have a job and some kind of peace of mind (or inner peace if you will). 

I hope you'll come to an agreement with your mother, just as Jonas said, you can try to talk that through and prove that listening to metal doesn't make you evil... actually quite the opposite, it makes you fucking awesome. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 6:59am
^Hell yeahHeadbanger, but I can guarantee you that life in the 30s with kids isn�t easy eitherWackoLOL. So much to worry about when you have kids.

...oh well we�ed better get  Back to topic

Edited by UMUR - 24 Aug 2012 at 7:00am
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:23am
^ good point. So... I can easily relate to Black Dog by Led Zeppelin:

"Oh yeah, oh yeah, ah, ah, ahh.
Oh yeah, oh yeah, ah, ah, ahh.I gotta roll, can't stand still,Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill."Embarrassed

But seriously now, I've never been really into lyrics. Partly, it's because my grasp of English was not that good when I was younger and partly because I always liked to imagine what the song is about. Then, when I read the lyrics I was often disappointed. There are a few songs that I feel that really correspond with my personality - e.g Fen's Carrier of Echoes or Not in Rivers but in Drops by ISIS (it's more about the music than the lyrics though).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:55am
Yeah I feel the same way. Lyrics seldom mean much to me. Probably because English is my second language, but there are of course exceptions. It�s not like I don�t get a word of what is saidLOL 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic