Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review Etiquette and Rationale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 2:04pm
I know. It'll be a five star masterpiece to some individuals. That's rather worrying to me.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 5:17am
I give out a lot of five star reviews... but this is because often only five star albums move me to write.
If something is bad I usually don't have anything to say about it, unless it is a warning about poor quality amateur DVDs being sold as if they were big budget affairs.

As for my likes and dislikes... I think I might have accidentally stolen UMMR's style. It wasn't intentional but I did notice when I got here that I had started to think it was the best possible way to write.

I recently wrote a blog post about what I dislike, phrases in particular: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/3357/

What I also dislike is a lot of negativity, superiority complexes, trying to prove how smart you are and other general bad personality traits.

A few personal choice things, I don't like when a review scores each individual track. I have no reason to dislike it, and don't understand why I do, but I still do for whatever reason.

My absolute number one pet peeve is when a review isn't about the album. If its a story about how you went to download festival, or a rant about when the band sold out, or a question about amplifiers, or something else that isn't actually a review.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 8:18am
^ Some of the 'bad points' as you suggest them make me think of Christgau a bit, in terms of the strive for cleverness that tells the reader zip about an album
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

A few personal choice things, I don't like when a review scores each individual track. I have no reason to dislike it, and don't understand why I do, but I still do for whatever reason.

Track by track would never be my first choice of review format but I can tolerate it. The only thing I dislike about it is when a reviewer scores every track and then gives the album an overall score that doesn't match up with it, for example rating all tracks with at least 3.5 stars then saying it's only a 2 star album overall. I'll always say that text means hell of a lot more than numbers but it is something of a pet peeve of mine. Along the same lines I always have a WTF moment when a reviewer writes a score in the text which is different to the rating attached to the review. I'd say this is more than a pet peeve though and actually go as far to say I consider it bad practice and misleading to people who read the review, since if you're like me, and look at the rating first, and then read something that doesn't match up with it all that review ultimately told me that the reviewer wasn't actually ready to review that album. I know its a harsh view to take but I think the most important thing with any review is to be clear. Mismatched ratings of any kind of not clear IMO.

That turned out longer than intended. Embarrassed
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

^ Some of the 'bad points' as you suggest them make me think of Christgau a bit, in terms of the strive for cleverness that tells the reader zip about an album

Never heard of it or them or him.

Is it this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Christgau ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 5:04pm
^ Yep, it's him, often one of the least informative and thus least useful (professional) reviewers around.
I often find myself complaining about him due to his work too often failing to meet several rather important basic criteria for a review.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image