MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drunb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello...
    Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:14am
Hey guys,
Unlike most of you, who are forum newbies, I'm an actual metal newbie (this is my second year of listening to metal).
Since I'm in my starting phase, I'm not entirely sure what are my favorite genres (my top 10 bands change very often, although the first three seem to remain as Megadeth, Blind Guardian and Children Of Bodom), so I'm still open to suggestions (except for core. I despise core), especially - but not only- in the Thrash and Power areas.
I'd like to thank the staff for the warm welcome, Clap
Cheers,
OmriHeadbanger
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:24am
Welcome to MMA Omri Smile. It�s nice to have you here. As far as recommendations go I�d go through the top 100 list and listen to some of those: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/topalbums.aspx?lstReleaseTypes=1 or go to the genre pages and listen to some of the top albums on those. There aren�t that many ratings yet, so some of the albums on those lists probably won�t be there in 5 years time but most of the albums on those lists are pretty representative of the most popular albums in the various genres. They are not necessarily the best thoughWink.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:36am
...oh and I almost forgot. There genre appreciation threads are also good places to get recommendations: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=44
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:58am
Hey! Welcome to MMA
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:21am
Welcome!
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:57am
Welcome to the wonderful world of metal!  
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 11:56am
Hello.  I'm the resident black metal guru, so if you want to venture into that territory, I'm the expedition guide.

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Hello.  I'm the resident black metal guru, so if you want to venture into that territory, I'm the expedition guide.

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

LOL

...Why haven't I seen that episode in so long?  All they show now are they new, shitty ones.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:16pm
Welcome

Originally posted by Drunb Drunb wrote:

(except for core. I despise core)

Converge Cool
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Welcome

(except for core. I despise core)

Converge Cool

Yeah I definitely second that and Burst too if you haven�t checked them out. Really great "core" stuff.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:19pm
Welcome to MMA.  Cool avatar. Smile
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:20pm
Welcome dude.

Completing the roster of metalcore recs, I seriously recommend you to go listen to Integrity's first three albums (Those Who Fear Tomorrow, Systems Overload and Humanity Is the Devil) as soon as you can, you can DL them here:  http://holyterror.com/downloads/

(Note to the Staff: I assume these downloads are legal given that they're from Dwid Hellion's official website)

Edited by DefinitionOfHatred - 19 May 2012 at 4:21pm
Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 4:24pm
^Thanks for clarifying thatThumbs Up
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 5:12pm
welcome to MMA, here starts the everlasting wrestle of discovering new metal and be on top of the metal evolution, discover the new cool things, the new sub-genres, the newest branch on the growing metal tree

rock on
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:59am
Yes it�s actually quite stressful to follow the sceneWacko
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:37am

Hey guys,
Unlike most of you, who are forum newbies, I'm an actual metal newbie (this is my second year of listening to metal).
Since I'm in my starting phase, I'm not entirely sure what are my favorite genres (my top 10 bands change very often, although the first three seem to remain as Megadeth, Blind Guardian and Children Of Bodom), so I'm still open to suggestions (except for core. I despise core), especially - but not only- in the Thrash and Power areas.
I'd like to thank the staff for the warm welcome, Clap
Cheers,
OmriHeadbanger

megadeth and bodom were some of the first bands i was listening to when i was getting into metal, among lamb of god, dream theater, and tool. (oh, back in the day)Cool

dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:40am
Hey Omri! I am not a metal newbie but I am a newbie collaborator! So a warm welcome to you! I hope you enjoy participating on this site, and discover many great bands and artists!
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:54am
Welcome!!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic