Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands Attitudes To The Fans & Free Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands Attitudes To The Fans & Free Music
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
Appr:

I HIGHLY recommend it.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7228201/Rishloo_Discography

For a more detailed and impassioned sale on the idea, check out
http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/do-you-trust-me-rishloo-give-away-free-albums-download-them/

Anyway.
Rishloo broke up and they decided to give away their albums for free.

How do feel about that ?
Do you think more people should do it ?
Do you think no-one should do it to preserve the financial value of music ?
Do you think bands should do it BEFORE they break up ?
Is it smart as a way to get more fans, just a clever advertisement ?
Is it a bad idea and will hurt the middle-men who sell the music but arent a band ?
Will it help or hurt other bands in the future ?
Do a band really have any responsibility to future bands or the value of music anyway... once they've split ?

We've had the illegal downloads debate before.. but what about the legal downloads, how do they make you feel ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 1:32am
Legal downloads are cool, but when I really want something I go buy a physical media. It�s a nice way to spread the word about your music if you don�t pay the rent with the money you earn from selling your music.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:48am
I bought all three Rishloo albums off iTunes and a tshirt direct from the band... but still I love them so much I want to buy some vinyl or something just to high-five them for making such great albums.

I think its doubly neat that they give them away now that they've broke up, I hope it helps more people get into them and that gives them enough cash to make their new album without their singer.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:59am
Interesting this is brought up today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17894176

I guess the industry has responded to part of the questions posed.

IMO if its legal the band has no moral obligation to the industry outside of itself.

It's up to the industry to get its act in order to make the sale of music worthwhile.

Like Jonas, where I can, I like to have a physical copy. Of late, this has leant towards vinyl rather than a digitized version whether physical or not. That said I still buy a fair number of CD's and MP3's.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 9:20pm
I am a supporter of free legal music. I know many excellent bands through free legal downloads: Random is an well known example.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 9:41pm
Well, I guess the problem is that they're running out of websites to use to spread their free music around.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:36am
Well, it doesnt have to be a torrent if its legal. They could just put up a direct download link to the albums on their own website, like Sheavy do. 

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:09am
This is terrific.  I've found tons of bands who release their music for free via Bandcamp or Jamendo, but not nearly as many people know of these websites like they do The Pirate Bay or other torrent sites.  This is a great promotion method, simple as that.  Like it or not, the internet is a major source of finding (and buying) new music these days, and it would be very RIAA-esque not to take advantage of such an opportunity.

IMO, it should be the band's decisions whether their music gets released for free or not.  I know that's never going to happen as long as record labels exist, but who should have more say in the matter: the people who actually make the music, or the people who distribute and promote it?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:36am
If venues didn't take a percentage on merch sales... bands could stop selling music altogether and just sell shirts, posters, pins, stickers, hats and all that sort of stuff, and have like a full-on market stall manned by the several roadies throughout the gig instead of one pissed off girlfriend at a crappy table full of still-too-expensive-even-though-we-do-want-to-support-you hoodies at only the start and end of the gig.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic