MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me decide what to listen to next!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Oh...and how about Shining: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/shining-swe.aspx

I SURE HOPE YOU MEANT SHINING NOR
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Nope, I meant the Swedish one. A favorite of mine.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 7:07am

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Nope, I meant the Swedish one. A favorite of mine.

Swedish Shining-formed in '96.

Norwegian Shining-formed in '99.

Swedish Shining = the true Shining. Tongue
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I've never let NSBM lyrics bother me.  I just pay attention to the music because that's what I think actually matters.  I just hope you don't do any reviews saying "The music is all good and awesome, but I don't like NSBM themes so I'm giving this a zero."  I've seen people do that before, and it's very lame.
To be honest I'd rather shun them altogether. Oxygen of publicity and all that.

Then again I understand NM weren't into the whole NS deal when they did Goat Horns, which I see is very highly rated, so I might give that a spin. I mean, I'm cool with listening to Burzum mainly because Varg's political ideas don't really factor into his lyrics.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 3:42pm

[quote=Warthur]
On a side note, since when was Carcass prog death?

Necroticism.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

[quote=Warthur]

Necroticism.

You kidding me?
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Then again I understand NM weren't into the whole NS deal when they did Goat Horns, which I see is very highly rated, so I might give that a spin. I mean, I'm cool with listening to Burzum mainly because Varg's political ideas don't really factor into his lyrics.

The lyrics to Goat Horns were never published, but if they're anything like the similarly themed To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire's lyrics, they're probably not NS themed.  I've actually heard in places that newer editions of NeChrist have NS bits taken out of the English lyrics (but not the Ukrainian ones) and the Celtic cross on the cover was removed.  I've read in an interview with Varggoth (found it here: http://www.myspace.com/nokturnalmortumband/blog/454766044) that he doesn't want Nokturnal Mortum to be a political band, but rather religious.  The interview was around the time Weltanschauung was released.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:38am

I've actually heard in places that newer editions of NeChrist have NS bits taken out of the English lyrics (but not the Ukrainian ones) and the Celtic cross on the cover was removed.
I really don't buy the "apolitical" claim when bands make it. The way I see it, your political ideas - if you genuinely, sincerely believe in them - are going to reflect your worldview, and any competent artistic expression is going to reflect and be an expression of the artist's worldview. I think it's quite hard to build that sort of firewall between your personal ideology and your lyrics; I think post-prison Burzum accomplishes it mainly through drawing lyrical inspiration from age-old poems rather than Varg writing his own stuff. Simply saying "we aren't political" isn't enough, especially when there are plenty of bands who make the apolitical claim who go on to say things in their lyrics which clearly reflect their political and social philosophy and worldview.

I mean, in that interview Varggoth talks about how it's a tragedy that cultures are mixing and so forth and puts it in very religious terms. When someone believes that to the core it's incredibly hard for it not to come out in their work, especially since so far as I can see Nokturnal Mortem are still banging the nationalism/traditionalism drum to a certain extent. They're only "apolitical" in the sense that they're not advocating any specific party, and as for them being a religious project - well, Varggoth's political views and religious views clearly overlap to an extent to where they can't really be separated.

In any case, it isn't really Varggoth's choice any more whether or not the band is political: NeChrist happened, and was pretty undeniably NS-oriented, and anything the band does in relation to that album and that material is inherently going to be a political act no matter how much he says "Apolitical! Apolitical!" Continuing to make the album available and play the political songs on it is a political statement, withdrawing it is a political statement, condemning it is a political statement. Saying on the one hand that you don't want to push a political agenda but on the other hand saying that cultural mixing is tantamount to the end of the world is a political statement.

In particular, censoring the English version of NeChrist but not the Ukrainian one is a political statement, and a ridiculously weaselly one - it says to me that the band aren't sorry that they said those things, they're just sorry that they got in trouble for saying them, and they're hoping that by trimming the English lyrics they'll fly under the radar.

Edited by Warthur - 30 Apr 2012 at 5:39am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:38am

[quote=Warthur]

Necroticism.

You kidding me?

No.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:47am

[quote=Warthur]

Necroticism.

You kidding me?

No.

It's about as progressive as Entombed's first two albums.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:48am
That's your opinion. I think it's progressive.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:08am

That's your opinion. I think it's progressive.

Whatever it is, it�s highly recommedable and an extremely influential death metal album. Actually all their albums up until "Heartwork"  were extremely influential on various extreme metal genres and that�s what makes them such an important act in the history of extreme metal wether it be goregrind, extreme cover artworks, splatter lyrics, the low growling vs high pitched sneering vocal style, melodic guitar solos in death metal and of course their impact on the Swedish melodeath scene.

Edited by UMUR - 30 Apr 2012 at 7:11am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:29am
Interested in symphonic metal at all Warthur? I just noticed you haven't rated/reviewed a single thing from this sub.

If you are interested:

The big (and popular) guns:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/turisas.aspx (only Stand Up and Fight is mainly symphonic metal, the rest is folk metal)

Lesser known acts:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/xandria.aspx (symphonic gothic (early)/symphonic power (current))
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/amberian-dawn.aspx (symphonic metal/neoclassical metal)
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/diabulus-in-musica.aspx (influences of power, death and gothic metal and folk music)
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:42am
I've not heard a lot of symphonic metal. What I have heard, I couldn't get into to be honest - I didn't review the one Nightwish album I have (well, had, I sold it off) because I honestly didn't think I was capable of being fair to it.

Still, you've given enough examples there to convince me that there might be other bands in the genre who are more likely to push my buttons so I'll see about giving them a try.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Interested in symphonic metal at all Warthur? I just noticed you haven't rated/reviewed a single thing from this sub.

If you are interested:

The big (and popular) guns:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/turisas.aspx (only Stand Up and Fight is mainly symphonic metal, the rest is folk metal)

Lesser known acts:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/xandria.aspx (symphonic gothic (early)/symphonic power (current))
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/amberian-dawn.aspx (symphonic metal/neoclassical metal)
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/diabulus-in-musica.aspx (influences of power, death and gothic metal and folk music)

*ahem*

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:23pm
^ I only listed ones I've listened to at least one album by.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 12:55pm

Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

The lyrics to Goat Horns were never published, but if they're anything like the similarly themed To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire's lyrics, they're probably not NS themed.  I've actually heard in places that newer editions of NeChrist have NS bits taken out of the English lyrics (but not the Ukrainian ones) and the Celtic cross on the cover was removed.  I've read in an interview with Varggoth (found it here: http://www.myspace.com/nokturnalmortumband/blog/454766044) that he doesn't want Nokturnal Mortum to be a political band, but rather religious.  The interview was around the time Weltanschauung was released.

But didn't Weltanschauung have lyrics such as "We remember your feat a soldier of white race no matter either you were German or Slav"?

Whatever, doesn't matter either way, I used to be all uptight about the whole Nazi thing, but I later decided that it's the music that really matters, and I've never let NS themes bother me since from listening to brilliant bands like Nokturnal Mortum, Fanisk, Dub Buk , etc.

SeriousNERD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeriousNERD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 1:05pm
Hi, I would recommend for a change some Bosnian death metal, hope you enjoy:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nypVS3vDV8o
http://sarajevooccultresearch.bandcamp.com/
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 12:24am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

^ I only listed ones I've listened to at least one album by.

Seems fair to me.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 12:46pm
Insomnium is a great band if you ask me.
Also if you like gothic metal, try Dreadful Shadows and Yearning. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic