MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review transfers from PA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review transfers from PA?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:45pm
This is just a general question. I came over from PA and I have 70 album reviews there, a good majority of them being metal albums.

Would it help the site more if I transferred my reviews over to here? Of course my ratings would be revised to gear more towards metal listeners and I might reword it quite a bit. But would that be a good thing to do? Seeing as we're waiting to get enough reviews in for a chart system to be implemented.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:56pm

M@X said he was cool with it and I think populating the site will only be helpful. I've been transferring mine, making minor adjustments because of the site's theme.

graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 8:10pm
Yes, it's cool. Like you said, the more reviews we have, the fastest we get to the chart system.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 9:16pm
Of course. Getting more reviews will also make the site more popular as it will also appear in more searches for reviews of artists... 
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:09am
Great to get more reviews! We need more of 'em. ;-)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:15am
I have lots of reviews waiting to be transfered from PA but most need minor editing and I�m a bit short of time right nowWacko, but I�m dying to write more reviews again ( and edit the ones I�ve already written). Working on the database is rewarding in its own right but writing reviews is my number one pleasure.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:33am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Working on the database is rewarding in its own right but writing reviews is my number one pleasure.
Agree! I'm definitely not a good writer but I still like to do it. My English is quite average and I don't go much into details, but still I write. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:17am
For what it�s worth I actually find your reviews very well written and informative. About details people have different ideas of what they would like to read in a review. personally I don�t care much for in depth theoretical analysis of the music or song by song analysis. I like to read an overall description of the music on an album. How does the music sound, production ( sound quality) and musicianship ( maybe with a couple of song mentions. Highlights...etc.) and maybe some context too. Is it a debut or why did they go in this direction on this album when their last album sounded like that. That�s how I try to write my reviews anyway. It�s not a universal formula and reading reviews on PA for a couple of years now I see many different styles and English language levels too. I have my favorite reviewers there. I guess we all do and the same will probably apply here on MMA. I love the multitude of writing styles. That�s what makes this concept so great. Free of so-called professional reviewers. Just people who love music and want to share their experiences with others ( good or bad).
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:23am
I've transfered the few metal reviews I did on PA, with minor edits, keeping in mind that this is a metal site, not a prog site like PA. To echo what Teo said, it'd help to get the charts looking populated and as such, much more accurate.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:44am
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

This is just a general question. I came over from PA and I have 70 album reviews there, a good majority of them being metal albums.

Would it help the site more if I transferred my reviews over to here? Of course my ratings would be revised to gear more towards metal listeners and I might reword it quite a bit. But would that be a good thing to do? Seeing as we're waiting to get enough reviews in for a chart system to be implemented.

I've transferred a few (the first few were by curiosity to see if the process was the same),  but I have adapted the rating for metalheads

I'(ll have loads of fun writing reviews for albums that aren't in the PA database

Edited by Sean Trane - 07 Apr 2010 at 7:46am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:58am
Yeah it�s kind of relief being able to do pure metal reviews too and not having to worry about artists being prog enough all the time.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 7:04am
I've done the same as well, editing any references to prog (unless it was prog-metal) from my PA reviews. I have quite a lot for bands that are here, but it will take me some time to transfer them all. These days I'm often out because of work, and when I get back I'm usually too tired to do anything intellectually demandingWink.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:18pm
^Well I wondered that about my SFAM review but then I remembered that the album does indeed have a lot of prog elements in it and I needed to mention it to have an accurate review. So I kept that part the same.

I guess it totally makes sense. I suppose the only conflict I had with it is it seems a bit lazy. But whatever, I'll be transferring over reviews a lot in my spare time. Some of them are horrible, so I'll just write brand new ones for those here.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:40pm
I may actually do a Blackwater Park review. It seemed pointless to do at PA.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:43pm
I wish I had the time to write more reviews. Unfortunately, all the time and energy that I have for that go towards my reviews for Progressor. I might edit some of the metal ones, however, and post them here - though they are in many cases far from complimentary. 
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:53pm
We need some negative reviews, as I think everyone is doing their favorites first, which is natural. Bring 'em on!
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:58pm
I already posted my Watershed review which is not that positive Wink

(though most of my reviews have been of albums I've rated high LOL... Even the new ones written expressly for MMA) 

Edited by The T 666 - 07 Apr 2010 at 1:59pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:59pm
^I�ve already posted my first 1 star review. It was for a demo though so it didn�t appear on the frontpageSmile
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:08pm
Demo reviews don't appear on the front page? That is good, so I can freely write those and no-one will be annoyed that the front page is full of tape covers. LOL

I usually tend to write about albums that I like, I don't feel like wasting time with bad albums... But I will write about those too if I like the band otherwise. Sooner or later...
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:08pm
OK, then brace yourself for a slew of really nasty 1-star reviewsWink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic