MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What were the first ten bands you got into ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FallingxSkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 5:34pm
VERY hard to choose my top 10 that got me into the music but heres a rough list of them:
1. Linkin Park (still listen to Hybrid Theory but well they suck now)
2. Metallica (got me through freshmen year! mainly listened to the older albums but I still like them enough :D)
3. Bullet for My Valentine ( found them for a lyric analysis project and I like how their music comes together pretty cleanly)
4. System of a Down (haven't heard them in a while but Aerials remains one of my favorite songs!)
5. Avenged Sevenfold (^_^ on my wannabe Ipod!)
6. Between the Buried and Me (brilliant in my opinion!)
7. Priest (love the song Angel!)
8. the Beatles (tame I know but dude...it's the beatles! first heard them in the movie Across the Universe but I just like how they are their own people!)
9. Cannibal Corpse( one of my all time favorite bands and my first death metal band! love these guys!)
10. Cold (Just love how they remind me of my childhood days)
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 4:53pm
My first albums were borrowed (from a groovy young Aunt) who let me keep them as she was moving to London.

1. The Beatles - Sgt Peppers
2. Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
3. Donovan - Fairytale (US version)

Early purchases with pocket money

4. Geoff Love & Orchestra - Big War Movie Themes
5. King Crimson - King Crimson
6. Deep Purple - Machine Head
7. Hawkwind - Space Ritual
8. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
9. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
10. Yes - Close To The Edge

I still have all these vinyls except the War Movie Themes (which I think my brother nicked) and play them usually on CD although I do have a nice 180g repress of the Sabbath which I play.

Edited by Daysbetween - 20 Oct 2012 at 4:58pm
alice-in-chains4lyfe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alice-in-chains4lyfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 10:56pm
When i was young i liked these bands and would occasinally listen to them
Green Day
Nirvana
U2
Red Hot Chili Peppers
R.E.M

Then for a few years i completely lost interest in music, but later discovered metal music through Metallica, Slayer, Alice in Chains and Korn, and i've been a fan of the genre ever since.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 6:51am
It was around 1975 for me, when one of my older brothers and one of my older sisters started buying rock LP's.

I wouldn't be able to remember the exact 10, but it would look something like:

Styx
REO Speedwagon
Kiss
Ted Nugent
Kansas
Boston
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cheap Trick

I still listen to all of 'em Smile
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 2:09pm
I only really remember a couple; Tool (my favorite band in the history of the fuckin' universe and the band that got me into music in general), and Nirvana (which were more alt. rock).

Edited by Doomster - 17 Nov 2012 at 2:09pm
O Lodger! View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O Lodger! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 7:32am
- Deep Purple - First and Last and Always
- Whitesnake/Rainbow/Gillan - from above. Have not fully stood the test of time, but still enjoy nostalgically
- Rush - my first gig!
- Supertramp - so?
- Beatles - will always love, but heard too often
- Led Zep - of course!
- Motorhead - best metal band ever!
- Pink Floyd - rarely listen to now. Meddle is OK
- Marillion - I was young!
- Black Sabbath - My 3rd gig (Diamond Head were my second and they should be on this list too!)
Mj�llnir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mj�llnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 5:18pm
In a roughly chronological order, it'd go like this:

The Offspring: I didn't get into rock music until my mid teens, this was the first band I latched onto with their Americana album. I still have time for them and their albums get the occassional spin.

Limp Bizkit: Don't hurt me, this was but a brief relationship! Chocolate Starfish was getting played everywhere and I somehow got onto the bandwagon, but jumped off fairly sharpish.

Korn: Absolutely fell in love with the self titled album, the enjoyment continued through Life Is Peacy but by Follow the Leader (despite excellent Todd Macfarlane sleeve art) I hit a bit of a wall. It felt uninspired and bitty and I drifted away from them.

Slipknot: I was hooked on Iowa for a while, the most intense stuff I'd ever heard at that point was Korn so this was quite an awakening.

Morbid Angel: Back in the days of Kazaa lite, I heard of this term "death metal" and wondered what it was, so I typed it in and clicked on the first song that grabbed my eye. Turned out to be "Fall From Grace" from the incredible Blessed Are the Sick. The rest is history.

Sepultura: Arise changed my life and taste forever. I asked a metalhead friend online who was disappointed at my taste to give me a list of recommendations. This was the first I went and bought on the strength of the artwork. Never looked back, my metal initiation truly complete.

Pantera: Also on that list was the band's heaviest album, The Great Southern Trendkill which has a unique place in their discog, and in my listening of them. Very intrigued at this one, anger, uncontrollable instruments and a touch of atmosphere in places.

Living Sacrifice: Their Reborn album sits snugly between the Seps and Pantera, kind of like Chaos AD in approach. Not a great fan but this album still holds enjoyment.

Gamma Ray: In the early days of my love of metal, I sometimes bought albums on the strength of the cover alone, this was one of the first ones. I walked into a local branch of a chain called MVC, and found the No World Order (the latest at the time) on the recommends shelf of the metal section, wondering what the hell power metal was and really hooked on that cover. It was a very interesting afternoon following putting it in my player. Very different to what I was used to, but I was converted alright.

Metallica/Guns n' Roses: The only thing these two have in common is I bought Appetite for Destruction along with Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets together on a frosty boxing day, 2001. These bands already were known to me fairly well due to my sister loving them in the late 80s/early 90s, I simply had to see what the fuss was about. Those Metallicas took a few listens to get my head around, but it was more than worth it, they're probably my most played albums ever.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 3:56am
Queen - still listen to them
A-ha - still listen to them
Scorpions - still enjoy them, obviously,their first 10 years mostly these days
Van Halen - still listen to them occasionally
Genesis - it was a pop album, the self-titled, long long ago, it was later, in 1995 I discovered their 70s prog albums.
Yngwie Malmsteen - still listen to his albums, just 80s and 90s though
Yes - of course I still listen to them
Pink Floyd - obviously still love them
Iron Maiden - occasional listen, I overplayed them at some point
Metallica - occasional listen also. 

one more, eleventh mention - King Diamond, I overplayed his 80s albums + The Eye when I was a teenager. Tongue
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 9:10am
^You can´t overplay King Diamond or early Iron Maiden and Metallica...Impossible Big smile.

...and wow that´s a really old thread you dug up there Thumbs Up
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 9:18am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^You can´t overplay King Diamond or early Iron Maiden and Metallica...Impossible Big smile.

...and wow that´s a really old thread you dug up there Thumbs Up

overplayed as in listening to them a lot. Big smile
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:24am
Black Sabbath - my first metal band, still a big fan
Ozzy Ozbourne - I was totally crazy about the Madman when I was a teen, but I'm not a big fan since ages. Sabbath stood better the test of time, even the recent solo albums aren't my cup of tea
Iron Maiden - Every two months, more or less, I have an overdose of Maiden! Haha, they are great
Helloween - Loved it before, and I started listening in the Andy Deris era! I was a fan of power and speed metal, not so much nowadays
Nirvana - another thing I liked very much in the past, just can't stand now.
Metallica - started to listen with the Black album, which were my favorite album. Now I love the first four albums mostly
Sepultura - still a fan, the Max era until Chaos AD and the most recent albums from the Derrik era.
Queen - marvelous, always listening
Pink Floyd - always a fan, just changed from "The Wall" to DSOTM and the other classics.

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 1:42pm
Ooh, fuck a blast from the past. Let's see...

Dire Straits - Still listen to the occasionally. Brothers in Arms is still a great album.

Queen - Yes, still listen, but not often to complete albums, except for A Night at the Opera. The first album I got was Live Magic, which is a stunning live album, but inexplicably shortened Bohemian Rhapsody.

Twisted Sister - Oh hell yeah! I went off them for a time in the 90s, but went back again and discovered that under the make-up and hair, they were metal as fuck! It was a good decision for the band to retire gracefully when AJ Pero died. Dee Snider is still producing some good shit.

Kevin Bloody Wilson - Fuck yeah! For anyone not in the know, he's an Australian bawdy balladeer Most famous for a song where the first line of the chorus is "Hey Santa Claus you cunt, where's me fucking bike?" I've seen him live twice, and love that he's still putting out dirty songs deep into his 70s.

Pink Floyd - If it's not The Wall, I avoid it like the fucking plague. Even then, The Wall is a fucking drag to listen to sometimes too.

Bon Jovi - I'll pick a few songs from Slippery When Wet or New Jersey, and the Young Guns song, but otherwise no fucking thank you.

Def Leppard - I can't listen to Hysteria any more, and I have never had more than a passing acquaintance with the rest of their back catalogue. Really don't care.

Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction and GnR Lies are two fucking killer releases, which I love to this day. I like The Spaghetti Incident, and the odd song from the Illusions, but otherwise not terribly fussed.

AC/DC - Yeah. Duh. Next.

Iron Maiden - The first Maiden album I got was Somewhere in Time. It remains my favourite to this day, the best of a brilliant bunch. This is a band still releasing vital, relevant music to this day.

Motley Crue - The first album I got was Girls, Girls, Girls, at the same time as Somewhere in Time. It's padded out with filler, but there's some stunning tracks on there. Unfortunately, that's the story of the entire Motley repertoire - some stunning tracks padded with filler. Doesn't get much of a listen these days.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 3:29pm
God, how that was some time ago. The first albums I remember owning:

Queen - Jazz. Great band and under-rated album. Still a fan.
Rainbow - On Stage. Still love a bit of Rainbow and On Stage is still a great listen.
Whitesnake - Lovehunter. A band all my mates at school were mad on, with good reason.
Genesis - Duke. Given this one and still spin it occasionally.
Peter Gabriel - Scratch. Same comments as above.
Saxon - She's got wheeeels, wheels of steel.
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind. Still brilliant.
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks. Nuff said.
The Clash - Give  'Em Enough Rope. Blew me away - still does.
AC/DC - Highway To Hell. No comment necessary.

I can honestly say that I still revist all of my first ten releases, which were probably the first ten bands I was into. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Deep Purple,  Metallica, Megadeth et al. came shorty afterwards, as did Bon Jovi and Def Leppard (Pyromania is the only one of theirs that I revist these days).

(I'm assuming of course that  I've remembered them correctly and never picked up a Shalamar or Sister Sledge album in a moment of madness. Hated that disco scene so it's not likely that I did. Although I did in a moment of madness pick up DISCOvery by ELO, which I don't revsit these days Embarrassed).

Edited by Bosh66 - 12 Nov 2020 at 3:34pm
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 5:05am
Europe - The Final Countdown (the song) - My first metal thing. Still loving it.
Metallica - Kill 'Em All - The album that made me a metalhead. Still loving it.
Metallica - The Black Album - Still occasionally listening to it.
Scorpions - Face the Heat - Still lovin'youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... Oops sorry. Still loving it. Though it is more of a hard & heavy album.
Sepultura - Chaos A.D. - Not listening to it anymore. Wasn't blown away then either.
Obituary - The End Complete - Adore the vocals and still like the music.
Megadeth - Youthanasia - Still love it. The sound is a little bit of a hindrance, but the musicianship is excellent in that one.
Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso - Well, not as good as BD's Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding, but still great.
Therion - Theli - Still one of my favourites. After around a quarter century.
Dream Theater - Awake - A prog metal masterpiece. Still one of my favourites.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 5:17am
Ah, I have to add one more as the OP asked "bands" and I mentioned Metallica twice... It can be Iron Maiden - A Real Live One. It should seem interesting or weird that I got into Iron Maiden after Bruce Dickinson's solo career. It really happened that way...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 5:27am
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace could be mentioned here too. I first listened to it in 1997. Perhaps before Dream Theater - Awake. Not sure. I was more of an arcade guy actually. Most of my fortune and time were spent on that. That is also because I used to live in a city where coming across with metal albums was... rare. I switched to begin spending most of my money on albums in 1999, when I went to Ankara for my university education. Until then, I hadn't bought that much metal albums. 50, at the most. But I was watching metal video clips & stuff a lot.

Edited by Shadowyzard - 02 Jul 2021 at 5:33am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 7:18am
I'm going to gloss over my formative years trying to find 'my music' and just focus on when it started for real: heavy rock and metal. 

The first heavy rock bands I liked were Nickelback (yes, Nickelback) and Foo Fighters. They were big in the UK charts in the early 2000s and were the two main acts that helped me into heavier music. These days, I don't much care for Nickelback, though I don't hate them the way many seem to. Foo Fighters I still like but don't get played very often. 

Around this same time period I also discovered Evanescence, who had a chart hit with Bring Me to Life. I have fond memories of the album Fallen, though it's been a while since I played it. I should do so again. At that point it was my favourite album/band. 

Things really changed for me when Metallica released St. Anger. As many here know, I had some unusual gateway albums. My full story with St. Anger is told in my review for it. 

That's four. Pantera were a key act in those years as well, as was Trivium and Arch Enemy, all of which I found through the magazine Total Guitar and in the case of Pantera, I originally heard only TG's playthrough tabs and not the real thing. All these acts were among the first I had with harsh vocals. I probably listen to Arch Enemy the most of the three these days, though I could give Pantera some more attention for sure. Trivium lost me after The Crusade, and I've only heard scattered songs since. I have been meaning to revisit and catch up with their stuff. 

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum the 2000s were also the time we first got Sky TV in our household and music stations like the now defunct Scuzz, which introduced me to more genres and bands. I find a likely for symphonic and gothic metal bands like Within Temptation, Nightwish and Lacuna Coil. All three bands which I still like but seem to have a bloody good go at losing my interest over the years. WT lost me after Hydra. Nightwish temporarily lost me with Imaginaerum, though I now rank it as my 2nd favourite from them, while Lacuna Coil lost me soon after I discovered them with Karmacode, though I still enjoy their early work a lot. 

I can't say for certain after a 20 year journey the exact order I found these bands in or if there were any others in between (actually, Godsmack is probably in there somewhere), but they're certainly the most notable first ten. My real development probably comes in the next ten, which includes Iron Maiden (also my first real concert at the end of 2006), Dream Theater, Opeth, Ayreon, Iced Earth and my first black metal bands, which rotates with power metal as my favourite sub-genre. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 8:53am
First 10...hard to say. There are songs from many bands I liked when I was younger but I would never say I was a fully-fledged fan. You see, I've always been into video game music, really(yeah, nerdy, I know). It wasn't until my friend showed me 'Crimson King' by Demons & Wizards that I started to take an interest into actual non-video game related music. That being said, them and HammerFall I know were my first 2 bands. I'm not sure about the rest though...
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 2:01pm
If I'm doing it chronologically, The Beatles have to be the first for me as my parents played them all the time and I still fairly regularly listen to Revolver and Abbey Road amongst others. On the influence of my older brother, I was exposed to Blur and Oasis and loved them in my late primary school years.

I got really interested in Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Iron Maiden in early secondary school before becoming madly obsessed with The Offspring, Green Day and blink-182. While I don't listen to any material from these three bands prior to mid 2000s, some of the earlier albums I still enjoy greatly. I'd go as far to say blink-182's "Dude Ranch" from 1997 would sit comfortably in my 10 favourite albums. It's raw and riffy instead of the glossy polished pop of the following albums.

Around the later years of secondary school, I was very into the UK post-hardcore bands Reuben and Engerica who are both sadly no more.

There were piles of other bands I was into in this same timeframe but I have tried to select the more significant ones which have influenced my musical taste - something which has diversified immensely in the last 15 years.

Edited by BitterJalapeno - 06 Jul 2021 at 4:18pm
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Iwan Ruby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwan Ruby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:53am
1. Power Metal (Indonesian)
2. Andromeda (Indonesian)
3. Roxx (Indonesian)
4. Search (Malaysian)
5. Wings  (Malaysian)
6. Loudness
7. X Japan
8. Animetal
9. Helloween
10. Iron Maiden
ORIDISTRO Your Criminal Partners
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12