MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What were the first ten bands you got into ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What were the first ten bands you got into ?
    Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:10am
To the best of your memory, rough guess will do.

MAIN POINT: how far did that go and are you still into them ?

With me it was something like:

Green Day, Slipknot, Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, RATM, SOAD, AHC and Papa Roach.

I still regularly listen to Metallica, Slipknot, SOAD and Marilyn Manson, but all have lost some of their shine.
For the rest I've mostly kept the albums I had (usually debuts) but not gone any farther.
I did actually lose the Papa Roach debut and three Rage CDs I had, but got the mp3s from a friend.

You ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:08am
Well if we leave out pop artists like Micheal Jackson and Whitney Houston which were some of the first artists I was hooked on as a child and start with the first metal or metal-related artists I really adored it would be something like:

1. Bon Jovi (I was completely sold to the puddle rockers, but I don�t listen to them much anymore)
2. Europe (The Final CountdownHeadbanger. I can�t say I listen to them anymore)
3. Twisted Sister (I Wanna Rock...du du du duuu, du du du duuuu. I don�t listen to them anymore)
4. Iron Maiden (I had 17 Iron Maiden posters on my 9m2 teenage room so yeah I was a fan and still am to this day)
5. Metallica ( My brother introduced me to Metallica and I adored them for a couple of years. I don�t listen to them much anymore, but I absolutely adore the first 4 albums)
6. Slayer (I�ve followed Slayer since I heard "Live Undead" when I was 12 years old. Slayer are still among my favorites)
7. Kreator (My brother listened a lot to the first four albums by Kreator and naturally I became a fan too. My interest in Kreator has been a bit up and down throughout the years)
8. King Diamond/Mercyful Fate (I loaned old scratched vinyls of "Them", "Abigail" and "The Beginning" on my local library and I was hooked from the first listen. I�m still a GIANT fan)
9. Obituary (My brother had a Roadracer Compilation where "Find the Arise" was featured in a live version. I had never heard anything that brutal before and I was completely sucked into their music. I�m still a fan)
10. Sepultura (I loaned a copied cassette tape from a friend of my brother who had loaned it from his friend of "Beneath the Remains" and I knew that the more extreme sounding metal that was on that tape was something special. I�m still a fan of the early albums by Sepultura, but I�ve lost interest in the band after Max left.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:04am
In order:

1. AC/DC (Band that got me into music, still one of my favs, but don't listen to them as much as I used to)
2. Pink Floyd (First band I became completely obsessed with, still an Grade A band for me)
3. Led Zeppelin 
4. Green Day (I'm ashamed to say, I still like them quite a bit, even if it's not cool anymore Ermm)
5. Nirvana 
6. Black Sabbath
7. Rush (Always liked Rush, but it took me like 2 years to realize they are the best band in the world)
8. Iron Maiden (Quickly replaced Pink Floyd as my new favourite band, and the band that truly got me  hooked on Metal music. To this day they are second in my book only to Rush)
9. Metallica
10. Dream Theater

DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:15am
Eeeh...

It'd be pretty hard to recall exactly 10 artists, but:

1. Hans Zimmer (the Gladiator soundtrack got me into music)
2. Linkin Park (used to listen to that circa age 10-11, brought me up into rock)
3. Nickelback (I confess that I enjoyed a song or two when I was like 11-12)
4. Black Sabbath (my introduction to metal!)
5. Judas Priest
6. Metallica (black album. I still enjoy some of their music up to '91)
7. Papa Roach (age 12-14, I grew out of them kinda soon)
8. Korn
9. Rage Against the Machine (I was like 13. Opened my ears to alt-metal and experimental rock)
10. Slipknot (caught on them rather late in '08 - I was 15 -, All Hope Is Gone opened me to extreme metal)

I am still a huge fan of Zimmer, RATM and Slipknot. I don't listen to LP, Nickelback or PR anymore. Korn and the more classic artists are things I only listen to once in a while.

Edited by DefinitionOfHatred - 14 Apr 2012 at 10:17am
Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:26am
Duran Duran ....
that was before Metal.
My first Metal Bands
M�tley Cr�e
Kiss
AC/DC
Iron Maiden
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Metal Church
Anthrax
Slayer
Dream Theater
Black Sabbath

I still listen to Dream Theater and Iron Maiden regularly, the other Bands occasionally except Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax, they bore me. My eight year old daughter got into AC/DC recently so we listen to them currently quite often.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 12:14pm
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Sepultura
Korn
Soulfly
Megadeth
Linkin Park
System of a Down
One of Kreator, Chimaira, and Anthrax.  Can't remember.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 1:45pm
lamb of god (i started listening to them back when i was about 12 )
dream theater 
tool 
rob zombie (i was really into him for a while)
Death
Job for a cowboy
metallica
Behemoth Smile
Amon Amarth
the faceless 

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 2:03pm
1. Led Zeppelin (I was 7 and still love them and listen, although less often)
2. Metallica (I'm not a big fan anymore)
3. System of A Down (still listen to them sometimes)
4. Tool (I used to be a huge fan a few years ago, still like them a lot)
5. Slipknot (yes, I was really into Slipknot when I was 14/15, do not listen to them anymore)
6. Opeth (Heart)
7. Guano Apes (I really liked them as a ten-year-old, do not listen to them anymore)
8. Nile (loved them 6 years ago, love them still)
9. Cryptopsy (as above)
10. Katatonia (I'm not as big fan as I used to be, but still like them a lot)
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 3:40pm
1. The Beatles (got into them when I was about 7, and their later albums are still among my all-time favorites)
2. Led Zeppelin (most of their albums are classic masterpieces)
3. Genesis (everything up until Duke is still some of my favorite music... no other band can top their masterpiece streak in the 70's)
4. Metallica (Still love their first four albums, but I don't love them quite as much as I used to)
5. Pink Floyd (I still like most of their stuff, but they aren't among my favorites anymore)
6. Dream Theater (I'm sure everyone here already knows what I think of DT Tongue)
7. Spock's Beard (Amazing group during the Neal Morse era, newer stuff is great too)
8. Yes (Again, they released numerous masterpieces in the 70's)
9. Iron Maiden (still one of my favorite metal bands)
10. Opeth (The band that got me into death metal, and they're still one of my faves)

So I guess my musical taste hasn't changed a whole lot since I was around 7-8 years old (although it's expanded quite a bit). I just liked good music right from the beginning! Big smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 4:19pm
1. The Beatles (I basically grew up with the Beatles with my father being a huge fan - there's no beating Sgt. Pepper's...)
2. Iron Maiden (my all time favorite music band)
3. AC/DC (my second all time favorite band)
4. Judas Priest (I got into them after hearing Turbo and then Painkiller blew me away - they are still one of my favorite bands)
5. D-A-D (I was really into Draws A Circle, No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims and Riskin' It All as well as Helpyourselfish - their post-Helpyourselfish releases didn't really appeal to me, but I still enjoy their early stuff)
5. Guns 'n' Roses (I still enjoy Appetite for Destruction and the two Illusions-albums, but I have outgrown Axl's stupid lyrics)
6. Metallica (my first venture into more extreme metal [thrash WAS extreme back then] - I still enjoy their music except Load and ReLoad which I never liked)
7. Megadeth (there's no beating Peace Sells, Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction - I am still a fan of their pre-Risk releases as well as The System Has Failed, United Abominations and Endgame)
9. Pantera (Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power are still among my favorites)
10. Sacred Reich (I was totally into The American Way and Surf Nicaragua - I still love those albums, but my preferred release is now Ignorance)

Running Wild, Solitude Aeturnus, Nuclear Assault, Dizzy Mizz Lizzy, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Helmet, Nirvana (only Nevermind) , Blind Guardian, Helloween, Death, Clawfinger, Rage Against the Machine, Count Raven, Genesis, Depeche Mode and a bunch of other bands were also important in my formative years as were Kixx and Skid Row (I've totally lost interest in Skid Row and I was very disappointed when I recently listened to Slave to the Grind for the first time in many years - there were, like, only three songs that I liked).
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 5:36am
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Thin Lizzy
Queen
Nazareth
AC/DC
UFO
Rainbow

I was well and truly spoilt!

....and the NWoBH, Thrash and Prog Metal genres were yet to form Headbanger
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:43am
Tough question because my memory is awful.
Here goes, in a very rough order after 2, as the rest were pretty simultaneous (the harder metal came after this ten):

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Judas Priest
The Doors
Cream
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Santana
Hawkwind

Basically still listen to them all, but Cream, Deep Purple and Hawkwind have dropped off a little over the years.

After that I think I went into 90s metal and then anywhere from there

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 15 Apr 2012 at 6:44am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 6:56pm
probably something like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Linkin Park, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and I dunno what else

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 18 Apr 2012 at 3:42pm
Bartje1979 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bartje1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:54pm
After having bought some top-hits compilations of '93 and '94, my first 10 albums I bought in the mid-90's are:

1 Aerosmith - Pandora's toys. I saw an Aerosmith concert on TV very late at night and fell asleep. I woke up when "they were playing "Dream On" and I was blown away. I had never heard such powerful music (I was 14 years old). Next day I bought this Aerosmith compilation containing Dream On. Today I never listen to them anymore.

2 Metallica - Black album I'm not a fan anymore

3 Nirvana - Nevermind I never listen to it anymore

4 Therapy? - Infernal Love After watching the first single of this album (Stories), I went directly to stored to buy this album. Today I never listen to Therapy? anymore.

5 Iron Maiden - X-factor I bought this album and I was completely overwhelmed. Because of this album, I wanted to buy their complete discography. Ironicly, this album seemed their worst. I am still a huge fan.

6 Machine Head - Burn My Eyes They never surpassed this album. I'm not a fan anymore.

7 Sepultura - Roots I never listen to this album anymore, but sometimes I listen to Arise.

8 AC/DC - Ballbreaker I'm still a fan

9 Greenday - Dookie I've never been a fan, I only liked this album back then.

10 Dream Theater - Images and Words I'm still a huge fan
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:40pm
Hmm, my firsts ever (metal-wise) were:

1 - Sepultura (early albums ONLY)
2 - Dream Theater (FAVORITE BAND EVER)
3 - Black Sabbath (only one I don't listen anymore)
4 - Shadow Gallery or Symphony X (love them both and still listen to them a lot)
5 - Metallica or Death (a really watershed for me, I started to get interested in other extreme bands besides Sepultura; I still listen to nearly all of their catalogs).
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:53pm
As I remember: 

1. Slipknot.  First exposed in the video game Amplitude with the song "I Am Hated".  Eventually checked out more songs.  Have nothing to do with them now.

2. Megadeth.  First exposed in Guitar Hero II with the song "Hanger 18".  Still find them respectable, though Dave is a nut.

3. Metallica.  Branched off of Megadeth and found other bands.  Metallica was closest.  Played "Master of Puppets" (the song) to death.  Today, I only find their first two albums respectable.  Master of Puppets and And Justice For All are too tame for my liking.  Also, I AM THE TABLE!  MY LIFESTYLE DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE!

4. Pantera.  My most early attempt to explore "heavier" music.  Today, I've written them off as a bunch of boneheads who made simple music.

5. Iron Maiden.  The first metal band that I've developed a permanent attachment to.  I actually wrote them off as mediocre the first few times I heard them.  When I listened more closely to some of their songs, I started to really dig them.  They're on the high end of my favorite bands list.

6. Iced Earth.  Some dude on Youtube who uploaded a bunch of Iron Maiden songs in random order began uploading Iced Earth songs as well.  Today, they're good in controlled doses, but I'm not really into them anymore.

7. Judas Priest.  Defenders of the Faith was my first metal CD I purchases, though I'm planning on selling it soon.  Other albums of theirs are great though.

8. Slayer.  Eventually decided that these guys were more serious than Pantera for being "heavy".  Don't listen to them a lot anymore.

I'm probably skipping a few that I can't remember because they weren't memorable enough.  Here's two more that were influential:

9. Morbid Angel.  My introduction to orthodox death metal.  Random songs from the first two albums got repeated plays.  I have Covenant and  Formulas Fatal to the Flesh on CD now.  I like FFF more than C though.

10. Behemoth.  My gateway into raw black metal, and in turn the rest of the black metal genre.  Stemming mostly from the And the Woods Dream Eternally EP, which I still enjoy as it contains a lot of Behemoth's best black metal pieces.  I eventually drifted into their death metal albums, and now really enjoy them as well.  I own Grom, Demigod, and Evangelion on CD.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:12am
Michael Jackson - I was 11 when Thriller was released...I wore out my cassette. I don't own it now, nor have I ever owned any other Michael Jackson albums. But I was really into it at the time.

Bee Gees - My mom listened to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack a lot...I still have a soft spot for those songs though I have never owned my own Bee Gees album.

Kenny Rogers - my great-grandfather (RIP) listened to a lot of Kenny Rogers in his truck when we'd ride around. He belonged to the old CBS Record & Tape Club and bought a lot of Kenny Rogers tapes. I still feel like a little kid when I hear "The Gambler" or "Coward Of The County" in passing.

Hall & Oates - In the early days of MTV you could not escape Hall & Oates. I loved the videos off of the Private Eyes, H2O, and Big Bang Boom albums. Still carry a Greatest Hits album of theirs on my iPod.

Van Halen - I was still in middle school when "Jump" came out and LOVED it! It was my first exposure to Van Halen and it sparked a lifelong love of the band that continues to this day.

Def Leppard - Pyromania was one of the first albums I ever bought with my own money when I was 12 (though it came out when I was 11). Played it to death. I'm still a fan but not as much as I was then. Pyromania is still my favorite album from them.

Journey - Frontiers was the other album I bought when I was 12 (though it came out when I was 11). I have been a Journey fan ever since and Steve Perry is one of my all time absolute favorite singers. Journey is one of my Top 5 bands in the world.

U2 - Again, early MTV played the hell out of "New Years Day" & the live version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday". I completely loved them both and watched them every time they came on. To this day, U2 are in my Top 5 favorite bands in the world.

The Beatles - I started getting into The Beatles in early high school. I had the blue & red cover Greatest Hits tapes and played them night and day. Despite my affinity for Metal by this time, The Beatles sunk into my core...I own every album and still play them regularly.

King's X - I discovered them in the Summer between junior and senior year of high school. I was into other bands, but was more a fan of the Metal genre itself and, aside from Van Halen, Journey & The Beatles, I did not have any other "favorite bands" until King's X. I bought the first album and have been a huge, huge fan ever since. I still buy all their albums, side projects, etc and have seen them live 6 times.

To this day, my 3 all-time, absolute favorite bands are: The Beatles, U2 & King's X.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 10:19am
I had to brainstorm this list when I was at work this week.  Going with metal bands only, here's how I remember it.

1. Ozzy/Sabbath
This was when I was around 10/11 years old.  Pretty much the trend for a while was to listen to what others listen to.  One guy's older brother listened to Ozzy, he started listening to them, then pretty much all the guys in the class started.  My brother dove in and got a No More Tears cassette on Christmas.  We remember one summer driving through a heavy thunder storm listening to the likes of "Hellraiser" and the title track, and it felt like the heaviest thing ever.  We would get more exposure to Ozzy through some of our dad's vinyl (Paranoid), but didn't dig too deeply into either discography until high school.  I rarely bought music myself because my allowance was so low at the time (1 dollar a week to start with).

2. Korn
Didn't really listen to much music let alone metal until I was almost 13.  Now everybody was a sweaty teenager going through puberty, so Korn seemed like a perfect soundtrack for that era of our lives.  I didn't own any Korn albums until a year or two after first learning of them, but people would often play Korn songs during recess/lunch and even during dances.  My first exposure to them was their first album, as well as Follow The Leader and their home video Who Then Now.

3. Rage Against The Machine
Another angry band for my teenage years.  I know my classmates didn't listen to these guys much at the time, so my brother and I must have found them through a music video playing on MuchMusic (Canada's MTV equivalent).  My brother had a concert VHS tape of theirs that we'd watch quite frequently.

4. Limp Bizkit
This may have been prior to RATM, but it was pretty close.  I bought Significant Other during the summer between elementary school and high school.  I then acquired 3 Dollar Bill and Chocolate Starfish.  They were one of those bands that I'd do a lot of skipping through the CD and only listen to select tracks.  While I don't listen to them anymore, I can still get into some songs every once in a while.

5. Slipknot
Started with their self-titled album when I was 14.  Listened to it a lot, but I eventually got less interested in their music.  I bought Iowa the week it came out, but I barely ever played it for reasons I can't remember.

6. Deftones
I had a rock/metal compilation CD with an acoustic version of "Change" on it.  This eventually prompted me to buy their album White Pony.  I've since gotten rid of the album, but will definitely re-acquire it.  My brother still has their first 2 albums, and I've recently enjoyed hearing them after some years apart.  I remember using the song "Change" as part of a grade 10 art video where we basically just showed a bunch of old products/technology in contrast to modern (2001) items.

7. Metallica
I probably could have put this a bit higher, as I was exposed to Metallica at 13.  However, I never really considered myself a fan until I was 15.  They were definitely the main band that wanted me to grab an instrument (bass) and play some music of my own.  The first album of theirs I purchased was a badly abused Master of Puppets CD (my brother grabbed a used Garage Inc a few weeks prior).  For some reason, we decided to listen to the instrumental "Orion" first.  It gave me goosebumps.

8. Disturbed
Grabbed a copy of The Sickness one summer, but that's as far into them as I got.  I can't even remember too many of the songs on the album now, though I dug them quite alot at the time.

9. Pantera
My brother picked up a promotional CD called "Six Song Sampler" from The Great Southern Trendkill at a rummage sale (http://www.tagtuner.com/music/albums/Pantera/The-Great-Southern-Trendkill-_-Six-Song-Sampler/album-v2130f3b).  It must have been from a former DJ since he had tons of promos covering many music styles.  Damn was this the heaviest stuff I heard up to that time.  He was probably driven to buy it as Pantera was often mentioned in Guitar World magazine.  I only check out some Pantera once a year at best nowadays.  Their sound spoke to me much more when I was a teen.

10.  Megadeth / Iron Maiden
I'll mention them both since I don't know what came first for me.
With Megadeth, my introduction came via Rust In Peace.  Well, what I thought was Rust In Peace.  Turns out the used CD I purchased had Countdown to Extinction in it.  I remember trying to follow along to the lyrics and going WTF?? LOL  I remeber being blown away by "Skin of My Teeth", but the CD stopped working after two or three songs.  I exchanged it for a copy of Cryptic Writings.  I wasn't as impressed, but it still helped get me into Megadeth.

For Maiden, my brother grabbed a copy of Killers second-hand. It may have been for the cover alone, but I think it was another group Guitar World mentioned since I recall an article that discussed both The Number of The Beast and Screaming For Vengeance.  I soon grabbed some Maiden of my own with used copies of TNOTB, No Prayer For The Dying (meh), and the video tape "Raising Hell" feauring the magician/illusionist.  That video was so over-the-top, but I really enjoyed it.
For those not familiar with the work of Simon Drake:

What have you done to Dave Murray??

Sawing a woman in half at 4:00:

And my favorite:

There were a few nu-metal bands that my brother had in his collection as a teen (Mudvayne, Static X among them), but I didn't really know much of them aside from singles.
DT*RUSH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT*RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:17am
Not counting the Beatles I would say:

Led Zeppelin
Yes
Genesis
Rush
King Crimson
The Who
Pink Floyd

I also liked a bunch of arena rock stuff(Journey, Foreigner, Styx etc).

Then maybe a bunch of other prog rock kind of stuff. THe thing is I didn't get into much metal until recently. The only metal album I had as a teen(not counting Rush or Zeppelin who I don't consider real metal) was probably a vinyl copy of Paranoid.

IndianaJones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndianaJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 2:34pm
I am doing this mostly for myself, to try and remember what were the first ones... thanks for the intriguing topic! I'll leave out stuff that I was listening to because my friends were listening to them and only include the ones that I really got into. Not excluding genres.

1. Bob Marley

Me and my friend found out that skateboarding and laid back music of Marley mixed very well together,  my parents had some compilation album and I really dug into that. I don't really listen to Bob that much these days, but I still enjoy some of his music when I get around to it.

2. Iron Maiden

I got introduced to Maiden also because of skateboarding. Number of the Beast was playing in some amateur skate video and I simply loved it. Bought 'Best of the Beast' (the one cd version) and almost wore it out. Really a big favourite of mine to this day, one of the biggest loves in music. A bit faded in the recent years, mainly because The Final Frontier didn't sound as good as A Matter of Life and Death to me, and the most recent gig I saw at Helsinki Olympic Stadium was a bit of a lazy one. I really felt dissapointed, because they have always been sort of a number one band for me. The first studio albums I bought were 'Killers' and 'Iron Maiden', I think in that particular order.

3. Judas Priest

It's starting to get a bit fuzzy after that, but I'm pretty sure the mighty Priest came after Maiden. I convinced my mom to buy me the compilation album 'Metal Works' at a trip to a cabin and I was hooked. The studio albums that i got first would probably be 'Sin After Sin' and 'Painkiller', from which the latter I still found to be a bit overrated. I still prefer the 70's Priest, but ofcourse the classic 'Screaming for Vengeance' and 'Defenders of the Faith' are up there among the best albums by the band. Sitll love 'em, always have and probably always will. Although KK is out of the band and Halford's singing has gone downhill for quite a long time now, they still deliver the goods live.

4. Helloween

Another one of my friends got 'Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. II', and there was no going back after that. Some of my fondest memories concerning this band are with that friend, checking out the 'High Live'-dvd in the dark of his room and just talking how cool and fast they were. First album I bought was 'Master of the Rings', which I still hold as one of the best albums by the band along with the two keeper albums and 'The Time of the Oath'. This is probably due to cranking 'High Live' so many times with my friend. I still enjoy them, but it's not that often when I spin one of their records.

From here onwards it's just guesses, so many bands in a short period of time, I can't recall the actual order.

5. King Diamond

Yet again through a friend. He send me a couple of songs and I loved them. Went and bought "Them", loved the album, went and bought 'Abigail', loved that one too. Sadly I have never seen the maestro live due to his problems with his back in the recent years, but I'm still hoping to experience that spine chilling scream og his. Some fun memories which incorporate King Diamond feature me and my friend (the one with whom we got into Helloween) playing a Biker Mice From Mars game with a super nintendo emulator and cranking 'Abigail'. Still love the music very much to this day.

6. Blind Guardian

Found out some mp3's in the internet, loved them and afterwards bought 'Imaginations From the Other Side', which I still consider to be their greatest triumph. This one was my own thing for quite a while, none of my friends seemed to like it at first. But I simply loved 'Imaginations' and went on to buy the rest of their albums. I have seen a short festival gig at Tuska by them, but ofcourse I still hunger for more. Why wont they do a headlining show at Finland? Still love the band very much, but I miss Thomen Stauch on the drummers spot.

7. Queen

I had listened to Queen for quite a long time, but I really got into them slowly. My father bought me 'the greatest hits I' album as a christmas present and told me to listen to some mindblowing music. Queen wasn't considered cool at the time amongst my friends, so that slowed things down quite a bit with this band, but after one of them got hooked, I "allowed" myself to get into them more. The first studio album I bought was 'A night at the Opera' followed by 'A Day at the Races'. The band was a really important part in broadening my musical horizons, and they are still one of my biggest favourites. Freddie was the best.

8. Rory Gallagher

Another one of my dad's inputs. He came home from work one afternoon and gave me a copy of Gallagher's 'Calling Card' (do I have to mention that this one is still my favourite album by him? Tongue) and told me to listen to this great guitarist. I went straight upstairs and put the cd to my stereos. I was blown hooked immediately, and really loved the songs. We had an old VHS-tape laying around recorded from the TV, where Rory played live, and that also made a huge impact on me. This guy was at times even more energetic live than the heavier bands that I was so muc into. Still love the music, but for some reason I still don't own that much music made by the man. A very underrated musician today, but it is true that most of his albums are not that solidly good throughout.

9. Pink Floyd

My mom had 'The Dark Side of the Moon' as an LP, and one afternoon after a long school day I put it on wanting to try out some new band. I was hooked by the relaxin and beautiful tunes coming out of the speakers and for a month, every time I was alone at the house I used to put the record on and really absorb the music. This was probably one of the first times I listened to a vinyl record also, so that left a mark on me as well. I still love Pink Floyd and listen to them from time to time, although the first albums aren't as brilliant as their masterpieces 'Dark Side of the Moon', 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Animals'. Again a band that opened my eyes to new frontiers in music.

10. Running Wild

Might be that I got into this before Blind Guardian actually, but hey, I told you the order would be off. I still adore the early stuff like 'Port Royal', 'Pile of Skulls', 'Branded and Exiled'... oh too many great albums to mention. The newer ones like 'Black Hand Inn' (the first one I ever owned from the band) weren't as great, but still ass kicking music. Needless to say I still enjoy their looting very much.

Ok, I have to apologize, for I almost forgot one of the biggest and very first ones, but I can't decide which one I should leave off, so I'll just state that I got into Dio also, the band would be there on the third or fourth place actually. So I really started with the most classic 80's traditional heavy metal bands and they still hold a dear spot in my heart. I had lended a copy of 'Diamonds - the Best of' and ripped the music to my computer and loved every single track the album had. I started off with 'Holy Diver' as the first one I owned, and still surprisingly think it's the best by the band. I also got into Black Sabbath's Dio era somewhere around the same time as well, but not into Black Sabbath as a whole, so I wont include it. Thankfully I saw the mighty Dio live a few times, and all of them were magical.

So that's it, if I had to guess which one I would drop out to make room for Dio it would be probably Rory Gallagher or Pink Floyd, but I didn't have the heart to do that. Hopefully I'm not neglecting some very dear band to me by forgetting them...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic