Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KEITH CAPUTO IS NOW A WOMAN� SORT OF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KEITH CAPUTO IS NOW A WOMAN� SORT OF
    Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 5:13pm
I know this is kinda old news, but did anyone in here know about this?
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 6:55pm
Yeah, they brought it up quite often of blabbermouth for a while.
I didnt really know them, but I like Biohazard so I can imagine it'd be similar to if Biohazard's singer became a woman.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:28am
No not really. Biohazard are more on the butch side, while Keith Caputo always had a very sensitive soul and singing style. If you haven�t heard Life of Agony, I can highly recommend both "The River Runs Red" and "Ugly". The former is essentially a heavy hardcore album with a very distinct sounding vocalist and some really cool concept lyrics about a guy who ends up commiting suicide. With "Ugly" they went into a more alternative metal direction. While I definitely prefer "The River Runs Red", "Ugly" features some really great tracks too.

...oh and just to make it perfectly clear, I have nothing against his new lifestyle, just thought it was relevant news to fans of the bandSmile.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:55am
Her singing style will probably change - especially, if she's going to go through hormone treatment and all that.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 2:14am
Apparently that hasn�t happened yet. In a recent interview Sal A. (drummer in Life of Agony) said that the band wouldn�t play together anymore though. They�ve basically disbanded. He named Keith�s wish to pursue his new lifestyle as one of the reasons, but the main reason was that they didn�t enjoy playing together anymore and had hit a brick wall creatively speaking.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 6:26am
Jonas, the vocalist of Cretin is a woman now too, right?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 7:20am
Yep.
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:31am

This is interesting, last night I watched an episode of CSI which dealt with sex changing and I immediately recalled Caputo.

Ontopic, TBH I only discovered this a few weeks ago when researching this band. I don't have anything against it, he/she is free of doing whatever he wants. In fact, there are many good female metal singers, so I doubt this will ever affect his/her talent. I have to underline his/her courage (I know this is annoying but I don't feel it's right to just say "his" or "her") in changing his sex, especially given that we're talking about a metal musician. It's a music genre highly associated with masculinity and hypersexuality, as well as a general phobia of everything (as noted in the article from the OP link). This is pretty brave and revolutionary stuff here, even if I doubt that many people will be upset.
Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:58am
Not to be homophobic, but it was a really sad day the day that I found out that Rob Halford was gay.  The leather and spikes and motorcycles and his singing just epitomized macho for me.  It was so much more macho to be a fan of Judas Priest than it was to be a fan of say, Elton John or Wham! or even Queen, who admittedly I am also a big fan of.  It is a lifestyle choice that I can't say that I personally understand but to each their own, and all that. 

I might add that I did use the word "Choice" on purpose, but respect the viewpoint of those that say they "were made that way and therefore it isn't so much a choice as it is what it is."
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:40am
We�re all entitled to our opinions Scott. I do firmly believe in the "were made that way and therefore it isn't so much a choice as it is what it is." option though.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 12:38pm

Jonas, don't get me wrong.  I don't understand it and quite frankly it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to discuss or associate with, but I am by no means a "put 'em up against the wall" kind of guy.  I fully support anyone's right to be however it is they want to be (or I suppose if it is the case however it is that they are).  And I am not closed-minded about the "Were made that way option".  I suspect that there is a nature aspect as well as a nurture aspect involved.  Different chemical levels in the brain and whatnot, as well as the "I'm a boy, I'm a boy, but my mama won't admit it" effect.  But I also fully admit I am by no means an expert on the subject and by no means have an interest in becoming an expert on the subject.  

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 1:05pm
I thought that Rob Halford's coming out was the coolest thing ever, and I love humor, or irony, in the fact that one of the most macho aspects of metal apparel actually stems from the British gay bar culture. Metal is all about being who you are or who you want to be despite whatever constraints society imposes upon you. So, if you're gay, then being gay is the most metal thing ever.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 1:05pm
^If there�s one thing I wouldn�t call you scott it would be close-mindedSmile.

...about the Halford deal I�m sure many felt the way you did, but like Kim I enjoy the humourous aspect of the case and the individual power thing too.

Edited by UMUR - 23 Feb 2012 at 1:13pm
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Jonas, don't get me wrong.  I don't understand it and quite frankly it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to discuss or associate with, but I am by no means a "put 'em up against the wall" kind of guy.  I fully support anyone's right to be however it is they want to be (or I suppose if it is the case however it is that they are).  And I am not closed-minded about the "Were made that way option".  I suspect that there is a nature aspect as well as a nurture aspect involved.  Different chemical levels in the brain and whatnot, as well as the "I'm a boy, I'm a boy, but my mama won't admit it" effect.  But I also fully admit I am by no means an expert on the subject and by no means have an interest in becoming an expert on the subject.  

nice "the who" reference there Cool

also, i find t interesting that being gay in society is considered so much different than the concept of masculinity
i guess that could be attributed to the stereotype of the flamboyant gay guy, when  that is (in my experience at least, seldomly true)

Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:48pm
I still can't believe anyone was shocked about Halford! LOL I don't have firm opinions on the tranny stuff, but I think that transsexuals are ultra-conservative in their definitions of what it means to be male or female. They don't bend the rigid stereotypes at all, rather they bend themselves backwards in order to better fit stereotypes of the opposite sex. I watched some TV show on it too, and I noticed that the transgendered people often spoke about how hard they tried to be the perfect girl or boy before giving up the pretense. Then, not feeling authentic, they threw themselves into emulating the trappings of the other sex. Before going through all that, I would rather see people seeking acceptance for who they are, on a continuum. Boys should be able to have long hair etc. if they want, and girls do not have to wear dresses and play with dolls. Instead of a radical rejection of the status quo, sex-changers accept it unblinkingly, and radically reject themselves. Does that make sense?
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Jonas, the vocalist of Cretin is a woman now too, right?

Didn't know that....  damn...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Dominator Dominator wrote:

I still can't believe anyone was shocked about Halford! LOL I don't have firm opinions on the tranny stuff, but I think that transsexuals are ultra-conservative in their definitions of what it means to be male or female. They don't bend the rigid stereotypes at all, rather they bend themselves backwards in order to better fit stereotypes of the opposite sex. I watched some TV show on it too, and I noticed that the transgendered people often spoke about how hard they tried to be the perfect girl or boy before giving up the pretense. Then, not feeling authentic, they threw themselves into emulating the trappings of the other sex. Before going through all that, I would rather see people seeking acceptance for who they are, on a continuum. Boys should be able to have long hair etc. if they want, and girls do not have to wear dresses and play with dolls. Instead of a radical rejection of the status quo, sex-changers accept it unblinkingly, and radically reject themselves. Does that make sense?

I understand what you're saying. But I guess that the reason why sex-changers go about constructing their identity the way they do is because society does not give room for that continuum which you are talking about. I'm sure that we've all felt the oppression of gender ideals and stereotypes breathe down our necks whenever we've done something that just slightly "deviates" from the gender-related norms of society.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:33am

As a child I played with dolls and already back then I did it in secret. So even children are very much aware of society�s gender ideals.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:37am
Children are very aware of society's gender ideals - they are force-fed all sorts of social ideals through the media, through their toys, through the adults, through the institutions they go through. They're being brainwashed through socialization.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:59am
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Not to be homophobic, but it was a really sad day the day that I found out that Rob Halford was gay.  The leather and spikes and motorcycles and his singing just epitomized macho for me.  It was so much more macho to be a fan of Judas Priest than it was to be a fan of say, Elton John or Wham! or even Queen, who admittedly I am also a big fan of.  It is a lifestyle choice that I can't say that I personally understand but to each their own, and all that. 

I might add that I did use the word "Choice" on purpose, but respect the viewpoint of those that say they "were made that way and therefore it isn't so much a choice as it is what it is."

Even though I disagree, I respect your opinion on gays.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic