MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NWOBHMB really??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NWOBHMB really??
    Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 6:33am
Hi guys, just having time now to discover this new place

Don't assume I'm here to critcize, though. ven though my first post is in the errors & omissions forum

BUT

Just a question, if I may??

Judas Priest, Gillan, Whitesnake and Motorhead in NWOBHMB???? Confused

All of them existed well before the creation of that movement

surely the Purple spin-offs should be with Rainbow

Geeez, this place looks like PA, but no-one found the light switch yetLOL

hint: it's in AC/DC 's section at flick of the switchTongueWink

JK, cool place

Edited by Sean Trane - 15 Apr 2010 at 11:09am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:20am
Hi Sean long time no see.

MMaybe because they were more popular towards that era? e.g. British Steel,Ace of Spades was around that time.

But your right they existed before that era, Trad. Metal?
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 5:21pm
They are all widely known the world over as bands belonging to or pioneers of the NWOBHM sound.... I think they fit just fine where they are... Their careers may predate the movement in theory, but in reality, they also belonged to it. 
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 6:24pm
Not to cause an argument, but NWOBHM is a movement, not a genre. NWOBHM bands are all heavy metal bands rooted in the traditional metal genre.

This is why we shouldn't have NWOBHM as a subgenre, because it's basically traditional metal, except for those prominent during a certain time period. It's sort of like Neo-prog at PA, which is basically Genesis based symphonic prog anyways.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Not to cause an argument, but NWOBHM is a movement, not a genre. NWOBHM bands are all heavy metal bands rooted in the traditional metal genre.

This is why we shouldn't have NWOBHM as a subgenre, because it's basically traditional metal, except for those prominent during a certain time period. It's sort of like Neo-prog at PA, which is basically Genesis based symphonic prog anyways.

Not true at all. Some bands may be Genesis-based (the earlier ones at least), but Neo is much more diverse than that. I have heard enough bands filed under Neo at PA to be able to say so.

As to NWoBHM, it is recognised as a genre by other sites (like the BNR Metal Pages), and in any case I don't believe anyone is going to agree to scrap the subgenre now. People have been working hard to move bands there from other subs, and I don't really think they want to move them back once again.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:10pm
it's like M@X said... it's all a work in progress. The whole site is.   I'm pretty sure Mark (CertIffied and Jeff) know enough about NWOBHM to decide what is..and is not. LOL
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:20pm

Well, at least with NWOBHM you don't need to mention the country these bands come from. But I am afraid that's the only difference between them and the other heavy metal bands (the term "traditional" makes me think of the folklore of a country).

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:29pm
So, if you don't like the word 'traditional', what would you suggest using? I am sure M@x will at least take it into consideration if you have a viable proposal. 
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:31pm
Yes, 

I want the site to be a good source of information for visitors.

But the last week decisions about PROTO, NWOBHM vs Tradition Heavy Metal now bring some doubts...

Not that I want to undo things, I just want to take the opportunity to organize and name things better.

Idea 1:

In the sub-genre left main bar of the site, since Traditional Heavy (historically) includes the movement of the NWoBHM and we might say also that the albums tagged as PROTO could be included in TRAD. HEAVY METAL. Considering the major importances of this ERA , we need to have things clear.

We can list them in the left bar like that:

METAL SUB-GENRES
  • Alternative Metal
  • Avant-garde Metal
  • Black Metal
  • Death Metal
  • Doom Metal
  • Folk Metal
  • Glam Metal
  • Gothic Metal
  • Grindcore
  • Industrial Metal
  • Metalcore
  • Power Metal (clickable)
    • Symphonic Metal (clickable)
  • Progressive Metal
  • Sludge (clickable)
    • Post-metal  (clickable)
  • Thrash Metal
  • Traditional Heavy Metal (clickable)
    • Proto-Metal  (clickable)
    • NWoBHM  (clickable)

I think this might improve the quality and credibility of the site.

Suggestions ?

Edited by m@x - 03 Apr 2010 at 7:36pm
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:32pm
I agree. Of course, the NWOBHM bands will have a tendency to sound like each other, it's only natural for a certain movement. However, you can't deny that they are all heavy metal, which is a kind of traditional.

Besides, I think there's a ton of discrepancy in the bands in the genre. Most bands sound closer to traditional anyways. You also have to consider that none of  Def Leppard's albums, even the first, sounded anything like for example Iron Maiden, who sounds nothing like Motorhead, who sounds nothing like Saxon, who sounds nothing like Venom, all of whom are included in our current NWOBHM category.

I do understand that there have been people hard at work polishing up the genres, and I respect that. However I think  the best help I can offer is my opinion and insight.

Edited by topofsm - 03 Apr 2010 at 7:32pm
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:37pm
I will never be the kind of person to start bickering about subgenres, but I have to ask a question... Do bands that are in the same subgenre have to sound the same (whatever that means)? Yes do not sound anything like Genesis or ELP, yet the three of them are in Symphonic Prog. And what about the bands in Progressive Metal? Do Pain of Salvation sound like Dream Theater? Of course not. 
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:46pm
I think M@x's proposition is a pretty good one. Having those three traditional metal links would be a good compromise either way.

I think that's the point of a genre, for people to find bands in the category they like. Of course, there will always be crossover into other genres, for example all of Devin Townsend's works sounding stylistically similar while at the same time fitting into many different metal (and ambient) categories. However, I wouldn't want drastically different bands in the same group, examples being those I listed.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

NWOBHMB was indeed a mvement created by the music weekly Sounds, just like Punk was (by NME) and New Wave (by Melody Maker)

I don't remember you from the PA forum (but your avatar leaves little doubt), so I'm not sure you're familiar with RIO.... in itself it is not a musical genre, but a chart signed by groups that vow they will never bow to commercial pressure and start making mainstream music. Muically, RIO was all over the spectrum and we linked it to Avant Prog,..... So it is a movement, but there is no way I could imagine  not having RIO mentioned somewhere in the database (or Canterbury as well), much like I can't imagine avoiding the NWOHMB (as a genre or category) in this database >>> NWOBHMB is unavoidable  >>> not using it would be diminishing our cerdibility

Edited by Sean Trane - 15 Apr 2010 at 11:09am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 9:47pm
^That's true, which is why M@x's proposition is a good one. At PA there is a RIO/Avant-prog category, as opposed to two separate categories. I'm not terribly familiar with the RIO bands, but from what I hear they aren't terribly similar, but they played experimental and unusual rock based music, essentially the same as the rest of the bands in the avant-prog category. Although they were in their own musical movement, they all fell under the same term as other bands who played the same style.

The same goes for NWOBHM. Although there is a significantly larger amount of bands in the NWOBHM movement than RIO, the idea is essentially the same. They are all heavy metal bands, which falls under the traditional metal term. By putting in the subcategory, we both acknowledge the importance of the movement without giving any misconceptions that it's a separate musical style, which it isn't.

As for Canterbury, I'm not familiar too much with it either, but although it was a movement it was also significantly separate in style enough to merit a separate genre category at PA AFAIK.

Edited by topofsm - 03 Apr 2010 at 9:48pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:08am
OK, I know RiomeWink wasn't built in one day (it took them at least a weekTongue)

But if Sabbath's discography has a proto and NWOBHMB genreStar at a different stage (with Heaven & Hell.... being the hinge album, here)  >> this is where this new system does get interestingClap

Why can't we do the same with Judas Priest with pre-British Steel albums???ConfusedWink

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

it's like M@X said... it's all a work in progress. The whole site is.   I'm pretty sure Mark (CertIffied and Jeff) know enough about NWOBHM to decide what is..and is not. LOL

Thanks micky... I know I can count on you! LOLClap

Yeah, Judas Priest is NWOBHM whether you like it or not... in fact they may be the most famous band in the entire movement....

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Thanks micky... I know I can count on you! LOLClap

Yeah, Judas Priest is NWOBHM whether you like it or not... in fact they may be the most famous band in the entire movement....

of course they are...  but...

oh hell...  let me just quote myself from a different thread hahah

hmmm...  interesting.  Having a great discussion here at the dining room table of the metal mansion..

SPOT ON!!! Teo.. This is NOT PA's.   Look at Judas Priest...  this site is NOT PA's where round bands are stuffed into square boxes.  The current tag represents a portion of their career.. and tagging individual albums handles the rest. Judas Priest is listed in the NWOBHM because they.. with Maiden pretty much started it.  The difference.. is Maiden's debut coincided with it.  Priest did not.. they had a different sound in their first 4 or 5 albums.. that was not NWOBHM.. but something different... call it... NWOPM.  Yes...  they though history doesn't acknowledge it... or PA's.. were the first prog metal group.  It was prog... showing all the facets of it.. yet were undeniably metal. When they streamlined their sound/music.. they changed.. and became one of the creaters of the new wave so to speak. 

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:36pm
Just for the record: Black Sabbath have NO albums whatsoever in NWoBHM. All their albums from Heaven and Hell onwards have been moved to Trad HM - where also Heaven & Hell (the band) has been placed when I added it yesterday.

Personally, I don't agree with having Priest in NWoBHM, because they predate the whole movement by a good four or five years. However, their influence on the NWoBHM is undeniable, so I think British Steel can sit more or less comfortably there. Not so sure about their later albums though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just for the record: Black Sabbath have NO albums whatsoever in NWoBHM. All their albums from Heaven and Hell onwards have been moved to Trad HM - where also Heaven & Hell (the band) has been placed when I added it yesterday.

Personally, I don't agree with having Priest in NWoBHM, because they predate the whole movement by a good four or five years. However, their influence on the NWoBHM is undeniable, so I think British Steel can sit more or less comfortably there. Not so sure about their later albums though.

Ooops, you're entirely right, Raff, my badEmbarrassed. H&H( the album) and further albums are  of course in trad metal, exactly where they belong. 

For Priest, I have no problem with Brit Steel and further albums  (certainly until Turbo but beyond as well)sitting on NWOBHMB, but at least Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings and Sin After Sin should be either proto or trad mretal (I'd prefer the former)

and for Stained Class and KM/Hell Bent,  logic would have them in either proto or trad as well , but here either suits my logic.

and will stop making a fuss about this after this post

Edited by Sean Trane - 16 Apr 2010 at 4:01am

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 12:33pm

^I agree. Again, NWOBHM is a movement rather than a genre, but Priest helped define it. However, the early albums weren't even part of the movement, so they should fit in the Traditional category.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic