MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Metal Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:58pm
i actually think that cover looks pretty good

but then again, what do i know?

Edited by IMPF2112 - 06 Dec 2012 at 1:58pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 2:03pm
It's better than Helloween's, although I'm more interested in Helloween's actual album. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 3:21pm
I'm probably just disappointed because their last two albums had terrific artwork and this one is the opposite of those in pretty much every way.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 2:01am
Someone just send me a promo of the new Helloween albumShocked??? I guess the labels I have a promotion deal with share my e-mail adress with other labels. Keep them coming though I don�t mindCoolHeadbanger

Edited by UMUR - 07 Dec 2012 at 2:01am
Mj�llnir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mj�llnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 12:13pm
There's few metal styles I've been so fanatical about and then become disillusioned with as fast as I have with power metal. I went crazy over the European branch of the genre, and for a whole summer through to winter listened to practially nothing else. As much as I still love many bands I think it's not evolved as much as it could have since Helloween's classic pair of Keeper albums, and I'd say it's more or less run out of steam for me. The American variant I'm still exploring, but it's a nice change listening to bands such as Manilla Road and Helstar.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Mj�llnir Mj�llnir wrote:

There's few metal styles I've been so fanatical about and then become disillusioned with as fast as I have with power metal. I went crazy over the European branch of the genre, and for a whole summer through to winter listened to practially nothing else. As much as I still love many bands I think it's not evolved as much as it could have since Helloween's classic pair of Keeper albums, and I'd say it's more or less run out of steam for me. The American variant I'm still exploring, but it's a nice change listening to bands such as Manilla Road and Helstar.

I hear what you're saying....it's a genre I love, but there are many, many 'B' grade power metal bands/albums, and very few 'A' level ones. I get so disappointed when I find something new, look at all the 5-star reviews, listen to the 30 sec clips, order the album, then when I finally purchase it and listen to it.....big 'Meh'.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 1:45am
I guess I can partly agree with that. Power metal is my favourite genre (for now anyway, I have fads) and so I tend to listen to a lot more power metal right now than anything but most of my power metal ratings tend to end up as 4 stars, i.e. a solid album but nothing ultimately special. There have been about twice as many 4.5+ power metal albums for me this year though compared to last year. 

What power metal albums have you been listening to to give you this opinion?
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Question :

Which non-Gamma Ray or non-Helloween album sounds the most like Keeper Of The Seven Keys ?

I want to buy whatever it is.
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

You will not find such an album.

Yeah I sat here thinking if there was anything and couldn't. 

Actually, the debut album by Lancer comes as close as anyone is likely to get to my ears. Drops in early 2013, but they did an EP this year with a few of the songs of it.

GG2U

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 9:00am
i should have gotten into power metal a long time ago the genera rules
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:01pm
some bands I enjoy of this style are: Gamma Ray, some Edguy, Hibria, Jag Panzer, Crystal Viper, early Firewind, 'a few others I guess just can't name them at his moment...Smile I'll admit though I'm pretty picky w/ this kind of music(at least until I drink alcohol), so I don't listen to it all that often. Also, I hate metal bands who take themselves too seriously so I am more inclined to listen to the more fun-loving ones...(hence why I avoid most death/black metal like the plague, unless it's of the progressive sort...)
diamondblack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 5:35am
Hi Guys,

Found this Russian Power Metal band Сад Грез(Dream Garden) that released debut album last year called "Time Punishes Everyone".
To be totally honest after first listen I have been blown away by these guys performance. Although all lyrics, besides one song, is in Russian, it's well worth having a listen to. Check them out:

http://www.myspace.com/dreamgardenband
https://soundcloud.com/perkelefin/wswsdlr1wwgs

Would love to hear your feedback.

Enjoy!

ADMIN EDIT: Please don't post links to illegal download sites.

Edited by adg211288 - 11 Feb 2013 at 6:22am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 3:04am
Here's an album I can't get enough of lately, Embraced by Fire by Wolfchant. They weren't really a power metal band before this album, just a few elements on their previous one, so it's a real change of pace for them. I've ended up regarding it as their best though. Still has folk elements and some growling vocals but overall, much more power metal than anything else.

GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Anyone else think Helloween's new album and latest single should switch titles/artwork/tracklist?  i.e. the album should be called Burning Sun and have a single to come off of it called Straight Out of Hell.  I say this because Burning Sun has much better artwork.

Power metal stalwarts are not having much success with 3D artwork lately.

If the reviews on Encyclopaedia Metallum are any indicator, this is the best album Stratovarius has done in years.  6 reviews with 95% average.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 12:59am
My favorite Power Metal albums are:

Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian
The Black Halo by Kamelot
Mirror of Souls by Theocracy
Temple of Shadows by Angra

I like the Helloween and Stratovarius type "original" power metal but I generally like stuff like this ^ more.

Edited by E�rendil - 09 Jul 2013 at 2:07pm
el pechu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el pechu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 4:44am
one of the most underrated metal bands ever [ IMHO ]   RAGE 

Edited by el pechu - 23 Aug 2013 at 4:45am
aminor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aminor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 5:26am

Efreet is the melodic power metal band of the South Korea, founded in April 2005 by Jeongho Han and Hwan Hwangbo from the same university. The band name “Efreet” means the god of fire from the Middle East mythology. Gyo-Hyeong Lee (guitar), Gi-Cheol Jeong (bass), and Gwang-Weon Oh (drum) joined the band in 2006, and the band started to have active performances at the ZOO, WASP, Sky high, and Sapiens 7 live clubs, located near Hongik University in Seoul. In February 2008, the band released the first regular album “God of fire”. Gyo-Hyeong Lee, Gi-Cheol Jeong, and Kwang-Weon Oh left the band soon after due to military services and with the graduation of Jeongho Han and Hwan Hwangbo the band went through a period of rest. After two years, a digital single album “Vendetta” was released in August 2010.

Recently, Efreet focused on the reorganization of band and the second regular album, prior to this, the band released the second digital single album “Poetry of Vengeance”. “Poetry of Vengeance” is composed of two songs; one is the “Dear liar” and the other is the “Vendetta” (re-recorded and remastered version). “Dear liar” is a traditional power metal music with straight composition reinterpreted from modern metal sound, representing vengeance to the villains who make a habit of cheating, deception, and hypocrisy. “Vendetta” produces the fundamental rules of melodic metal, such as the brilliant melody and speedy dynamic guitar riff, and also possesses the simple and sophisticated composition. It also represents rage to the improper reality caused from villains through the conversation of an abandoned soul and nemesis. The previous version of “Vendetta” has raked over 25,000 views on YouTube in a short amount of time, and is being well received by metal music listeners.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/poetry-of-vengeance-single/id735892446?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Edited by aminor - 03 Nov 2013 at 5:28am
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 12:19am
Lately I'm enjoying some Pharaoh, Grave Digger, Manilla Road, Crystal Viper, Slough Feg, Jag Panzer, etc. gonna be checking out some others too though and catching up on some oldies, haven't listened to power metal(and indeed, metal in general) in quite some time!Smile
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 1:36am
Originally posted by aminor aminor wrote:

Efreet is the melodic power metal band of the South Korea, founded in April 2005 by Jeongho Han and Hwan Hwangbo from the same university. The band name “Efreet” means the god of fire from the Middle East mythology. Gyo-Hyeong Lee (guitar), Gi-Cheol Jeong (bass), and Gwang-Weon Oh (drum) joined the band in 2006, and the band started to have active performances at the ZOO, WASP, Sky high, and Sapiens 7 live clubs, located near Hongik University in Seoul. In February 2008, the band released the first regular album “God of fire”. Gyo-Hyeong Lee, Gi-Cheol Jeong, and Kwang-Weon Oh left the band soon after due to military services and with the graduation of Jeongho Han and Hwan Hwangbo the band went through a period of rest. After two years, a digital single album “Vendetta” was released in August 2010.

Recently, Efreet focused on the reorganization of band and the second regular album, prior to this, the band released the second digital single album “Poetry of Vengeance”. “Poetry of Vengeance” is composed of two songs; one is the “Dear liar” and the other is the “Vendetta” (re-recorded and remastered version). “Dear liar” is a traditional power metal music with straight composition reinterpreted from modern metal sound, representing vengeance to the villains who make a habit of cheating, deception, and hypocrisy. “Vendetta” produces the fundamental rules of melodic metal, such as the brilliant melody and speedy dynamic guitar riff, and also possesses the simple and sophisticated composition. It also represents rage to the improper reality caused from villains through the conversation of an abandoned soul and nemesis. The previous version of “Vendetta” has raked over 25,000 views on YouTube in a short amount of time, and is being well received by metal music listeners.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/poetry-of-vengeance-single/id735892446?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Sounds interesting. If you haven't already done so, remember to suggest them for inclusion here.
wishangel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wishangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 3:56am

SUNCROWN - symphonic metal band

Video "Follow Your Dream"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_ZhpA3Ygk

Second album will be released on January 2014

http://www.suncrownband.com/

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 6:05pm
I cannot recommend this one enough:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/armory/empyrean-realms
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic