MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Metal Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

It is. Motion was one of last year's biggest disappointments for me. Edu left Angra to concentrate on Almah I believe, so hopefully Motion is the sound of things to come.

hopefully is right. got seven kingdoms the fire is mine coming in the mail. I wish i had a good record store around where i live but the main store here is walmart. I need to try the goodwill that just opened up in a city close by. maybe they have cds.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 11:53am
New Helloween art has been revealed:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

i looked in the 2012 best of metal and saw dtguitarfan's list and the band sabaton was on it. r they good. they weren't mentioned on here. the next power metal band i thinking of getting into is pathfinder, seven kingdoms, or Sabaton. Also that temple of shadows by angra kicks ass too bad their vocalist quit on them.

I saw Sabaton open for Evergrey and they were very good live. The albums aren't bad.

As far as Hammerfall goes, Legacy Of Kings is an excellent album but I've never really bonded with anything else they've done.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 12:20pm
And like dtguitarfan stated, most of the great power metal bands have a bit of other styles going on as well, be it prog, thrash or what have you. Even most of the female fronted bands similar to Nightwish you could probably put under power metal, if you ask me.

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

New Helloween art has been revealed:

Eh.  I just don't like the 3D artwork thing.  It's definitely "them" but I much prefer hand-drawn artwork, in most cases.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 1:38pm
that cover is absoutely hideous
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 7:13pm
Hand drawn art is the way to go.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 10:20am
I don't mind the picture. Helloween have better covers though. But they also have far worse covers than that one. 
GG2U

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 3:22pm
I kinda like it.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 3:29pm
The artwork is hidious IMOSick
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 5:18pm
This sounds promising!

Vandroya, female-fronted power metal band from Brazil. Their debut? album due out early in January Smile

Here's an old (2007) vid of them doing some Blind Guardian:

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 2:49am
Sounds promising!
GG2U

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 12:04pm
looking forward to hear that vandroya sounds like it will kick ass
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 12:13pm
Anyone else think Helloween's new album and latest single should switch titles/artwork/tracklist?  i.e. the album should be called Burning Sun and have a single to come off of it called Straight Out of Hell.  I say this because Burning Sun has much better artwork.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 3:32pm
Question :

Which non-Gamma Ray or non-Helloween album sounds the most like Keeper Of The Seven Keys ?

I want to buy whatever it is.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Question :

Which non-Gamma Ray or non-Helloween album sounds the most like Keeper Of The Seven Keys ?

I want to buy whatever it is.

non-Gamma Ray, non- Helloween?

Hmmm....

Avantasia - The Metal Opera ? maybe...I know there's better out there...one of the Iron Savior albums maybe...
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 10:03am
You will not find such an album. You will find albums that are stylistically very similar to the Keepers (the majority of the europower scene of the early to mid-90s) but none of them matches the inspiration and overall brilliance of those albums.

Avantasia (the first one) is a v.good album for sure and is interesting enough by merit of the guests alone. 

For a "Keepers + Malmsteen" vision check out Stratovarius. Dreamspace through Visions is a safe bet, they are all very good albums and extremely popular among the fans of the Keepers. If you liked that, you might wanna check out Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied, a sort of Italian version of Stratovarius.

The Keepers mark the definitive sound of european power metal. But they are not the only reference. Just like german thrash had Sodom, Destruction and Kreator as the big 3, so did power metal: Rage (I would focus on the Trapped! to End of All Days era, previous might sound too rough for your tastes) and Running Wild, whose Port Royal to Black Hand Inn releases are all STELLAR, albeit kinda repetitive. I would start with Death or Glory. Vocals are not Geoff Tate-ish like Michael Kiske's but they suit the munsic very well and have a huge number of fans.

Another german band whose work has been compared to Helloween's (and rightfully so in terms of quality and they are close enough musically) is Heaven's Gate. Livin' in Hysteria is a classic. 

I would also recommend wholeheartedly Scanner's Ball of the Damned. Amazing power metal album, first song features Ralf Scheepers (of Gamma Ray and Primal Fear fame) on vocals and it is probably among the best power metal songs ever recorded (Puppet on a String).

A few more suggestions:
Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath (check out the 11 minute epic Highlander - vocals steal the show)
Rhapsody - Legendary Tales. Laughable story and concept, dragons and third-rate fantasy stuff but the music is brilliant, a mix of Keeper power/speed with a dose of classical music interludes and sections that gives it a very nice touch of class. The following albums were disappointingly exercises in repetitiveness although the second one has many fans. If you like what you hear, check out also the guitarist's first album Luca Turilli - King of the Nordic Twilight.

Angra should probably get a mention here. More "progressive" than the Keepers for sure although nothing extravagant or "difficult" to follow at all. The first two are your albums. Angels Cry is the straighter of the two but Holy Land has a distinct feeling of its own, blending classical elements and brazilian music. 

For the end, one of my favorite bands, Blind Guardian. Their roots go back to Walls of Jericho instead of the Keepers but they are so talented and so inspired that I fail to see how you won't like them! The albums to look out for are Tales from the Twilight World, Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations from the Other Side and Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

Hope this leads to some nice discoveries! To be honest I have the feeling most of this will be already known to you and your question was more rhetoric but perhaps someone else might find something interesting!
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 10:09am
Anyway, I just looked into the previous page so I feel a bit of a fool, so here is a fresh recommendation for power metal fans:

Trail of Murder - Shades of Art.
This is the new project formed by former Tad Morose singer Urban Breed and Olsson (who made up the main songwriting duo of Modus Vivendi - that amazingly awesome album by Tad Morose). They are also joined by Bloodbound/Morgana Lefay (reunited! YAY!) drummer Pelle Akerlind. Inside you will hear Tad Morose style (and quality) power metal with a dose of hard rock choruses. The latter turned me off at the beginning but with some friction with the album, I am beginning to enjoy them more and more. Overall, a great album. This is my favorite song off the album:

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Anyone else think Helloween's new album and latest single should switch titles/artwork/tracklist?  i.e. the album should be called Burning Sun and have a single to come off of it called Straight Out of Hell.  I say this because Burning Sun has much better artwork.

I'm not fussed by titles, but I agree about the artwork.

Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

You will not find such an album.

Yeah I sat here thinking if there was anything and couldn't. 
GG2U

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Power metal stalwarts are not having much success with 3D artwork lately.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic