MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Metal Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 2:09pm
I just found out about this band, they're pretty awesome.

buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:38pm
I used to loathe power metal but fairly recently got heavily into it.
I never really knew of the genre back in the day but I did always love Helloween. I remember my friend getting the cassette of Keeper 2 in high school and I LOVED it. Still do. I just thought of them as a thrashier Maiden.
I thought Manowar was total shit back then but I love them now.  
Power Metal might be my favorite kind of music right now. I just checked out Ancient Bards and they rip skulls. "Imaginations from the Other Side" has been one of my favorite songs ever since I heard it.
Some favorites:
Stratovarius-The Thin Ice
Gamma Ray-Insanity and Genius
Helloween-Eagle Fly Free, Savage
Iced Earth-The Phantom Opera Ghost, The Hunter, Damien, My Own Savior
Manowar-Defender, Metal Warriors, Brothers of Metal, Kings of Metal, Fighting the World; Black Wind, Fire, and Steel
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:35am
Yeah it�s interesting how it�s a genre that you either love or hate. I didn�t use to like power metal either, but after my first death metal phase was over and I got heavily into progressive metal (around the early to mid-nineties) I guess I began to be able to appreciate high pitched clean vocals. Something I always found so fairy when I was younger. The transition from progressive metal to power metal actually wasn�t that big and  by the end of the nineties and into the new millenium I had a power metal phase. Starting with Helloween and Blind Guardian and then on to Rhapsody, Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica (who were completely new at the time). I�ve grown sligthly tired of the formulaic nature of the genre over the years, but I do on occasion find a quality act I spend some time on.

Edited by UMUR - 05 Jun 2012 at 12:37am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:54am
I must admit it is rare that I find a power metal act that brings something different to the table without being a hybrid of other styles. To be fair I can say that of many if not all genres though. For power metal though I'm liking Order of Nine's latest. Very different vocal style for PM. Quite baritone. Not sure if it will have wide appeal with PM fans though because of that, but I'm getting more into their sound with each listen. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 1:07pm
I forgot to mention that I saw Hammerfall open for Death and that got me back into power metal, as I enjoyed them very much.
They covered "Breaking the Law" but it was horrible.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 1:12pm
I used to like Helloween and Dream Evil.
AnnieDoucet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieDoucet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:44pm
Hammerfall have around 3 good songs in their whole discogrpahy, I don't know how anyone can stand that whinny as fvck voice Cans has and the terrible lyrics. One or the other guys, not both.
One of our favorite events to do as a family in Highlands Ranch. This year there is going to be a Caribbean band Pan Jumbies led by an acclaimed steelpan artist!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:51am
Kamelot have a new singer - Tommy Karevik from the band Seventh Wonder.

GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 9:51pm

Joakim Broden has become one of my favorite power metal vocalists after one listen to a Sabaton album.

EDIT: and holy shit, he can pull off a clean vocal cover of a death metal song.

Edited by Wilytank - 24 Jun 2012 at 10:25pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 3:29am
I heard one of their songs recently on a freebie, going to definitely look into them properly now.
GG2U

dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:20am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Kamelot have a new singer -�Tommy Karevik from the band�Seventh Wonder.

I heard this. Cautiously optimistic about that one because Seventh Wonder is second only to Dream Theater in my list of favorites and that only because SW only has 4 albums and doesn't tour. But Tommy has said he's not leaving SW but will sing with both bands, SO I'm hopeful that SW will get more fans by proxy of Kamelot and be able to produce more music/tour/etc.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 2:38am
I've been really digging a French band called Nightmare lately: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/nightmare(france).aspx

How power metal should be played in my opinion. Loving the Dio-like vocals.

GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 6:46am
Threw together a quick power metal mixtape on Grooveshark.  What do you all think of the lineup?

IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Threw together a quick power metal mixtape on Grooveshark.  What do you all think of the lineup?

Rise and Fall is a great song, although Helloween do have plenty better. However, overall, pretty good playlist. Those were both good tracks you picked to bookend the playlist.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

It got my approval after seeing Wuthering Heights in there. Headbanger

Even though I don't know half the songs in it. Embarrassed
GG2U

CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 9:41pm
I'm not an avid fan or power meta, but i do enjoy some. The latest band I got into is Ancient Bards, who released a terrific couple of albums.

Really worth checking.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I'm not an avid fan or power meta, but i do enjoy some. The latest band I got into is Ancient Bards, who released a terrific couple of albums.

Really worth checking.

Agreed, they're excellent. Soulless Child was one of my top releases of last year. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 4:25am
I'm really loving the work of Seven Kingdoms lately. These guys have gone through some changes in their sound over three albums, but remain mainly power metal all the way.

First album featured strong death metal influences and some thrash as well

Second album stripped back the death metal influence a bit but still featured some growls:

Second song reminds me of Iced Earth.

Forthcoming album is pure power metal, fast guitar driven power metal, the way it should be.

Highly recommendable to check all songs in order to take note of their evolution.
GG2U

The Niche View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Niche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 1:50pm
Oh man, the guitars in that last track...I want to cuddle them all night long.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:10pm
never got into power or really listened to it much the only band i currently like that is power metal is dragonforce. u may give me shit for liking them but i think they kick ass. whats a good power metal band to start with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic