MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Metal Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 7:48am
I've discovered the Australian power metal (proggish) band Voyager. I listened to the album I am the reVolution and i thought it was pretty nice! I warmly recommend it!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 11:31pm
Any Dragonforce, anyone? Tongue
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 12:34am
Originally posted by VerticalUprising VerticalUprising wrote:

Any Dragonforce, anyone? Tongue

Dragonforce is great, but as far as power metal goes, I prefer Kamelot and Gamma Ray Tongue
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 2:44am
Good ol´ Helloween and Blind Guardian, then I´m pretty much satisfied.

I used to listen to Rhapsody (before the Fire), Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica too, and they also have some great quality releases.

The issue with power metal in general (be it the Euro or the US version) is the lack on originality. Very few artists stand out and far too many use the same old tricks that the innovators did in the 80s, without doing much of anything else than pale imitations. I really like the style but if an artist don´t make an effort to stand out, I´m usually turned off.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

The issue with power metal in general (be it the Euro or the US version) is the lack on originality. Very few artists stand out and far too many use the same old tricks that the innovators did in the 80s, without doing much of anything else than pale imitations. I really like the style but if an artist don´t make an effort to stand out, I´m usually turned off.

I would argue that this is an issue that pretty much every genre faces, rather than a specific problem with power metal. I'm not saying I outright disagree with the sentiment, but I think that power metal can be crossed over with enough other metal genres to result in some modern standouts. 

Recommend you try these ones. All are primarily power metal albums that draw on other elements that are less common or in such a way that really sets them apart to my ears.

Though I don't think sticking to a tried and tested formula automatically makes something lesser than what came before it. There have been some very well done but very much done by the book power metal records in recent years too. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
StargazerSlave View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StargazerSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 11:17am
My favorite power metal albums would probably be Queensryche's the Warning, Fates Warning's Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian, Blind Guardian's Imaginations from the Other Side and Nightfall in Middle Earth, the last three Miller-era albums of Symphony X, the first two Crimson Glory albums, and Rhapsody's Power of the Dragonflame. That is not counting the neo-classical metal albums though.

Edited by StargazerSlave - 21 Nov 2014 at 11:18am
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:56pm
I keep seeing all this love for Seven Kingdoms, and after seeing them live (opening for Blind Guardian in 2010) I don't get it.

As a band I thought they were very generic, and the singer, whatever her name is, couldn't find the pitch that night if you hit her over the head with it. She was awful and I got the feeling they hired her more for her looks that her ability to sing.

Maybe she/they had an off night, I don't know. I hate ripping on bands, I want to support metal, and I love me some good power metal. But they were bad enough that I didn't go home that night and check anything out on youtube, nor have I since.

Should I give them another chance?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 5:16am
I remember several people here said that the artwork of the previous Helloween album was bad. I never minded it so much. This one though, well, is a different matter.

GG2U

Valdis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 9:56am
Two very nice and unknown power metal bands IMO
Dionysus
Skywings
Rely on nothing under heaven.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 11:02am
^^I actually kind of like that cover, not their best cover but still pretty good. That reminds me, I need to listen to more Helloween
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

^^I actually kind of like that cover, not their best cover but still pretty good. That reminds me, I need to listen to more Helloween

You and me both!LOL

Edited by Psydye - 09 Apr 2015 at 2:41am
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:44am
My favorite Power metal album to date.
Valdis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:04am
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

My favorite Power metal album to date.

It is one of my favourites too Thumbs Up
Rely on nothing under heaven.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 7:32am
I´ve recently started picking up some of the probably not so known US power metal acts around. Screamer, Drive, Jacobs Dream, and others too. I´m looking forward to getting a bit more time listening to their material.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 7:35am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I´ve recently started picking up some of the probably not so known US power metal acts around. Screamer, Drive, Jacobs Dream, and others too. I´m looking forward to getting a bit more time listening to their material.

I've heard Screamer's debut. I liked that one a lot. I don't know the others though.

I can recommend Cauldron Born and Mathias Steele for lesser known USPM acts. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 7:37am
Yeah thanks to your review, those two are on my list too.

I´m a sucker for hard edged riffs and insanely high pitched vocals, which are often features of US power (the vocals are as often more low register and raw though, I just find I usually prefer the high pitched screaming ones the most). Early Queensrÿche, Savatage, Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, Lethal...and loads of others from that time released some great material. It´s distinctly 80s sounding, but that´s how I like it.

Helstar is a new interest too. Great band that one.

Edited by UMUR - 15 Apr 2016 at 7:42am
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:00am
Helstar is THE SHIT man! Their first four are essential, first two are heavy/power beauties (towards the Unknown and Run with the Pack, EPIC) but the next two, where they take a much more energetic power/thrash sound, are among my favorites ever, especially Nosferatu, which is a top 20 metal album in my book. INSANE riffage.

I assume you've already looked into most of the well-known USPM stuff but just in case, here's a quickilist of awesome stuff: Titan Force, Leatherwolf, Apollo Ra, Liege Lord, Realm, Oliver Magnum, Forte, Lord Bane
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:25am
Opener from Cauldron Born's first:

Full Matthias Steele album here, you're unlikely to find it otherwise:

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:27am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Take it back, unbeknownst to me it's been reissued! And they have a new album too. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 12:08pm

Take it back, unbeknownst to me it's been reissued! And they have a new album too. 

That's awesome, I'll have to check out their new album.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic