Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grindcore/Experimental/Avant-Garde/Cats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grindcore/Experimental/Avant-Garde/Cats
    Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 12:27pm
And anthing else I feel worthy of being mentioned.

This blog will be mainly for grindcore, so I'll bring you the first of many bands to be featured in this wonderful blog.

Gigantic Brain.

Gigantic Brain is a great one man electronic grind band, similar to Agoraphobic Nosebleed and The Berzerker in ways, but instead of playing straight ahead blasting grind, Gigantic Brain decided to head into unexplored territoyr with a style of music that I call Post-grindcore. This fusion of two opposite styles of music makes for a really interesting listen, and for me it works extremely well.

His first album The Invasion Discography features almost no Post-Metal/ambiance though, but all the rest feature this Post-Grindcore style, so don't be put off if you hate the first album.

Some youtube.

Also everything Gigantic Brain has done is availible for free here on his last.fm page
So download, enjoy, and rate/review.

Also obligatory cat video Big smile.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 1:52pm
I�ve listened to some Gigantic Brain and it�s definitely an interesting act.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 4:12pm
I'm here for the cats.  Give me some more cats.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 4:59pm
I shall give you more katz and more mehtul.

ANGEL OF DEAAAATH!

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:07am
Today I brng you one of the best Avant bands ever.
Naked City.
Naked City is the result of John Zorn deciding he needed to inject some metal (mainly grindcore) into some jazz, even though Naked City has made plenty of "normal" songs, they are known mainly for their combination of grindcore and jazz.
Some youtube

Obligatory cat videoBig smile!

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:21am
good ol' Yamatsuka Eye
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 1:25am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

I shall give you more katz and more mehtul.

ANGEL OF DEAAAATH!

Hahaha!  Can't argue with that.

Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

This is great too.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 8:30pm
I await the installment where you cover Nasum. Smile
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm
Since I haven't done one in awhile I thought I'd do a band that all metalheads should adore, but isn't really metal.
Black Flag started off making the usual SoCal punk, until lead singer Henry Rollins joined the band anyway. They soon started to slide towads a more Black Sabbath influenced sludge, with the attitude of a punk band, and guitarist Greg Ginn's fascination with free jazz, which resulted in lots of atonal freak style guitar solos. This all came together on the album Family Man, where punk is all but abandoned except in attitude. Side one features nothing but Rollins doing some immature yet somehow engrossing spoken word pieces. Side two features the rest of the band doing all instrumentals which are semi-improvised pieces, with shrieking guitar solos.
Some youtube

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 11:56pm
Haven't done one of these in awhile, so I'll bring you one of the first grindcore acts ever and the band that dubbed there sound as mincecore, Agathocles!

Agathocles is a grind band from Belgium, and is mostly the project of Singer/Guitarist/Bassist Jan Frederickx. Agathocles has released an extremely large amount of releases over the years and they appear to not have slowed down any since there inception in 1985. There sound tends to be on the dirtier side of grindcore, but they have gained a cleaner/clearer sound now.

Some youtubes.

Oops forgot the cat video. Heres two to make up for the last post.

Edited by Sheavy - 26 Feb 2012 at 12:00am
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:09pm
So I kinda completely forgot about my blog here, so I'll do a couple bands today.

First of is Survival Research Laboratories, which isn't really a band per se, but more of a performance art group. They have been banned from almost every venue they play at because of the extremely dangerous shows, which feature (un)healthy doses of fire, robots, explosions, and general mayhem. SRL has been around since the mid seventies, and is the brain child of Mark Pauline. SRL has been home to many noise muscians over the years notably GX Jupiter Larsen of The Haters fame, and Matt Heckert, founder of Mechanical Sound Orchestra.SRL's shows consist mainly of rc robots, usually with various dangerous devices attached such as flamethrowers.

Heres some beautiful destruction.

Heres my favorite to watch, the infamous Crimewave Show in San Francisco, which they got arrested for, after being warned to not play in SF again.

Other destruction.

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:33pm
Now for a rather infamous noise group, that has been around since the late seventies, The Haters.

The Haters make their noise in strange ways often consisting of abusing microphones and records. The Haters mainly consists of founder GX Jupiter Larsen, with a revolving door policy of many other noise muscians.

Some live stuff.

Edited by Sheavy - 01 Jun 2012 at 9:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image