Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-2011 Albums You Got Into in 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-2011 Albums You Got Into in 2011
    Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:35am
As opposed to the best albums released this year, what in your opinion great albums did you only get this year (which had already been released in a different year) ?

I've included a few multiple albums slots in here, but feel free to do it like an AOTY list yourselves

1. Dozer - Through The Eyes Of Heathens
2. Rishloo  - albums 1-3
3. C.O.C  - All 4 Pepper Keenan albums
4. Monster Magnet   - albums 2-6
5. Deep Purple  - Come Taste The Band
6. Clutch  - Slow Hole To China
7. Dio  - albums 2-4
8. Ozzy  - Entire Discography
9. Amplifier  - The Octopus
10. Devil Driver  - The Last Kind Words
11. Five Horse Johnson  - No 7 Dance and Mystery Spot
12. Primevil  - Smokin Bats At Camptons
13. Rainbow  - albums 1-3
14. Fu Manchu  - California Crossing
15. Sixty Watt Shaman  - Reason To Live
16. The Grand Astoria  - albums 1 & 3
17. Gama Bomb  - Tales From The Grave And Space
18. Queen  - Discography
19. Sheavy  - albums 1-5
20. Kyuss  - Muchas Gracias

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:44am
The best was WitchHammer's The Lost Tapes.

I had only heard 1487 previously, which is an obscure (and damn expensive!) speed metal album from 1990. Great album that one, combines nicely power metal with a thrash metal coating, reminds you of Artch - Another Return (anyone remember those guys?). Or Paradox sometimes. Anyway, they are also Norwegians, in fact best buddies with Artch. And they had recorded The Lost Tapes a year after 1487 but they disbanded. Eventually, they released the Lost Tapes (now the title makes sense) in 2001.

And I had the pleasant surprise to find out that the band now plays thrash metal with a power metal coating! So, thrashier, great riff work and a couple of songs I would call GREAT, I mean Helstar-Nosferatu great (and for me that's a huge fucking compliment).

They just released a new one, which I am expecting now. A bit apprehensive on that one, not only because it is a reunion album that has the potential of putting a dent on the perfect record they have (always annoying that!) but most of all because they have a new singer, and I was a big fan of the previous one.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:04pm
Youth Of Today cds, Noie Werte cds, Warzone cds, Agnostic Front - Victim In Pain and tons more.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 5:48pm
Best non-2011 discoveries would have to be, and I'm going to exclude anything by artists who I discovered through a 2011 release:

Augury - both albums
Helloween - Keeper's I & II
Nile - Ithyphallic
Cruachan - Thuatha Na Gael (had heard it way prior to this year, only really 'got' it then though)

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:34am
too many albums to mention LOL, so lazily I'll just mention some bands:

ILikeTrains - post rock-ish indie rock, I don't know how else to classify this, great music anyway
Aching Beauty - great progressive metal
Kyrbgrinder - side project of the drummer of Threshold, great stuff!
Harvest -  nice neo prog from Spain if I remember right. the lyrics are sang in english though
Inmoria - great heavy/power, a band with former members of Morgana Lefay and Tad Morose
Eyefear - great prog/power band
The Last Things - Circles And Butterflies [1993] - this album is just great progressive metal.
Sky Architect - very good prog-rock
Destroyalldreamers - very good post rock

I'll be back with more. Smile

Edited by LittleBig - 28 Dec 2011 at 10:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic