MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make MMA more like PA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make MMA more like PA?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 4:43pm
As both a member and mere user of both sites, I have noticed that while MMA has great content thus far, its layout is much less friendly when compared to PA, and other sites. The center section of the screen (where the actual content is) is relatively small. I love the idea of having a metal-centered PA-type site, but the easy layout of PA is missing here... Due to the fact that the PA/MMA/JMA family already has the program coding that drives PA (including most popular artists last 24 hours,  top albums of 2011, etc) would it be a big issue to copy that from PA onto here? 

Cheers,
C
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:32pm
Looking at the PA website, I can't really see anything that's both missing and necessary from MMA.  I don't like all the genres being listed on the top and prefer them on a convenient list off to the side.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:50pm
I much prefer the layout here
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:59pm
I prefer this layout, too. The only thing on PA I'd like to see here is the possibility of getting a list of reviews of releases under a single subgenre on one's own profile (I think we had that once here, too, but the function's disappeared).
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:04pm
I like a few features at PA better (the general layout of the member's page, the search function, and a few others), but I generally prefer the layout on MMA/JMA. The front page takes some getting used to, but I like it. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:24pm
Really?  I think Progarchives is too cluttered compared to this site.  I don't want to see top bands, MP3, Arjen Lucassen advertising merchandise, etc. all before I get to the first review.  That may just be me, but I think we've got a good layout as it is.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 1:26am
I'm not a major fan of PA's layout personally. I think the MMA/JMA template is a big improvement on the same idea. PA has a few features I wouldn't mind seeing over here though, such as the popular artists part and the biography section in member profiles. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:01am
I remember when MMA started that Max said, that most of the popular features from PA would be implemented to MMA over time. Some of the things you�ve mentioned above and the 100 most prolific reviewer list too. Things are moving a bit slowlier than I thought they would but I�m sure Max and Phil are working on those things when they have time. There have been more serious issues with Google rankings and such that as far as I know have taken up most of their time.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:26am
The one thing off hand I'd take from PA is their search function on the front page.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:30am
Search function is better on PA.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:37am
For MMA and JMA I only have the forums bookmarked. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Search function is better on PA.

Definitely but there is some sort of Google indexing issue, that I guess Max hasn�t been able to fix yet.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:08pm

Prefer the MMA layout, but I hate purple so I am biased Tongue
As to the search, it's great if you know how the band's called, but obviously it's lacking if you only have an album title or if you have pains remembering anything at all like I do.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

Prefer the MMA layout, but I hate purple so I am biased Tongue
As to the search, it's great if you know how the band's called, but obviously it's lacking if you only have an album title or if you have pains remembering anything at all like I do.

Basically, is it!
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 10:09pm
I like PA because the reviews and album pictures are much bigger than on MMA and JMA. I also like the way the artists are listed on PA as opposed to here, because here they names are all scrunched together and much less pleasing to look at.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 3:56pm
Long as we keep "per album" genre style and half star ratings!
Don't ever, remove those Stern Smile
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

^
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

I like PA because the reviews and album pictures are much bigger than on MMA and JMA. I also like the way the artists are listed on PA as opposed to here, because here they names are all scrunched together and much less pleasing to look at.

I used to think that the pics were too small here on MMA too (200x200) compared to the 300x300 format on PA, but through my work here (and on PA when I was an active Collab there) I often find that it�s hard to find good resolution 300x300 pics. Especially for the more obscure releases. As a consequence quite a few PA discographies look messy because of the low resolution pics. So I guess I don�t have a problem with the smaller pics anymore.

I have a couple of ideas to how the artists could be listed in a more inviting way. I�m not a fan of how it looks right now either.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:51am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Amen to thatBowdown
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:03pm
There are a few things I like on PA but generally I prefer MMA's layout (apart from this terrible, grey top, I think this should be changed). I think that most of all we should add functions/options that other sites don't have, like for example PA's 24h top artists or Review of the week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic