MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that make you think: What happened!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

. . . and Flots "When the Storm Comes Down" . . .
Funny, the "Snare" sounds like Ulrich's on St. Anger Tongue. I think Flots is way underrated.

really really what the hell do u think is wrong with that masterpiece of an album? its one of my fav albums
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 10:15am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Another is "Lunar Strain" by In Flames.
What on Earth happened to this band?  (Although I do like the Jester Race)
I've played this album for friends who like In Flames and besides never hearing of it ever, they ask if it's really the same band and "what is this shit, what happened?" I happen to feel the same way, just about their later materialLOL

now my second post this is their 1st album. it was before they had Anders Frid�n on vocals. since it's their first album it can't be a wtf happened album
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

Funny, the "Snare" sounds like Ulrich's on St. Anger Tongue. I think Flots is way underrated.

really really what the hell do u think is wrong with that masterpiece of an album? its one of my fav albums

Huh?
Which album? St. Anger or Flots? I'll take "When the Storm comes Down" any day of the week Wink.

Edit:
Oh I see . . .
No I meant that it seems that Flots album doesnt get recognition and many have skipped it. I actually think they
put out solid albums all through their career Big smile.
Sorry, its been a LONG time to visit this Post, the posts about Flots was in response to "Vic" if you look on the
previous page.

For all of us who have been disappointed with Queensryche, well we NOW know why dont we? -this past year
(2012) Cry.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 20 Jan 2013 at 2:59pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

As a Queensryche fan who has been disappointed for decades now, I have to say I liked "Hear in the Now
Frontier"  (and remember, DeGarmo is on it, and on "Tribe"). To me "Promised Land" was the last great QR album, but "Hear..." was just another change, yet they chose to keep that "Grunge" sound, even when Grunge
was over a few years before.  Which is strange seeing they put Seattle on the map after Heart (and before The Accused).

Queensryche really messed it up big time with their last album Dedicated to Chaos, one of the worst and uninspired albums, from a band I personally love. 

True, even though I only like them up until their 1994 opus.

Some cases, IMO:

Evergrey every albums since Monday Morning Apocalypse;

I gave up on Queensryche after O:MC II..........dreadfully bad album. I can listen to HITNF, even if it's not 'metal', and Q2K & Tribe both have a song or two thats pretty decent, imo though the rest of the songs are meh.

As far as Evergrey goes, I'm a long-time fan, and I think the album Torn is their best ever. It's got the best combination of heavy riffing from their earlier days and the more radio-friendly approach they are now going for. Just a killer album, imo.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 4:56pm
St. AngerSickSick
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 10:52pm

Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

Huh?
Which album? St. Anger or Flots? I'll take "When the Storm comes Down" any day of the week Wink.

Edit:
Oh I see . . .
No I meant that it seems that Flots album doesnt get recognition and many have skipped it. I actually think they
put out solid albums all through their career Big smile.
Sorry, its been a LONG time to visit this Post, the posts about Flots was in response to "Vic" if you look on the
previous page.

For all of us who have been disappointed with Queensryche, well we NOW know why dont we? -this past year
(2012) Cry.

thanks for clearing that up about the flots post
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 11:18pm

Big smile no prob.
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 4:44pm
Bump.

I agree with some of the albums mentioned already, Slipknot and In Flames's debuts are both masterpieces in my book. To be honest though, I do like Slipknot's Volume 3 and a few of In Flames's albums after the debut.

Korn is a perfect example for me, I think See You on the Other Side and Untitled are two of the band's best albums, but Korn III was such a let down. I think Anthony Fantano (Theneedledrop) said it best, "What even is Korn III?". It was one of those "Back to our roots" albums that wasn't going back to their roots at all.

I'm surprised Judas Priest wasn't mentioned in this thread, as I would have never seen a borderline glam metal album like Turbo coming from the band after Defenders of the Faith. Turbo does have a few decent songs, but overall it feels bland to my ears.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:07pm
Quite a few people said wtfh when Kreator released Renewal...it happens to be my favorite from the band LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:39pm
Done it lots of times with lots of bands.

Metallica - The Black Album. And then Load, Re-Load, S&M, and St. Anger.LOL
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Death Angel - Act III
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Um, got distracted. I started writing this 45 minutes ago. EmbarrassedWhat was the question again?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Quite a few people said wtfh when Kreator released Renewal...it happens to be my favorite from the band LOL

I really like Renewal, although I don't get why people found it odd. It's still thrash metal, and I don't think it's that different to Coma of Souls.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:22am
Running Wild, at least from The Brotherhood and maybe even Victory too, up until the latest one which is actually surprisingly decent.

And for a recent one:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I really like Renewal, although I don't get why people found it odd. It's still thrash metal, and I don't think it's that different to Coma of Souls.
I actually think it sounds vastly different from Coma of Souls. Mille lost his rabid dog sneer, the sound production is way different too, and the band generally tried new songwriting ideas instead of just following their tried and true thrash metal assault. Some industrial influences crept into that album too. To my ears though the greatest thing about Renewal is what I characterize as a dark post-apocalyptic atmosphere. I really enjoy that.

Edited by UMUR - 15 Nov 2016 at 11:34pm
tapfret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:10am
Must echo the sentiments I see regarding The Blah Album. I was 21 at the time and it was the only time I was at the record store the morning of a release. I was back at the record store that afternoon to get my money back. Other things I've called it:
The Jock Album
The Bleached Album
Now it's just Meh-tallica

Other wut happenz albums:

Voivod - Angel Rat, then Negatron, then all The Newsted albums
Fates Warning - Parallels
Scatterbrain - Scamboogery
Black Sabbath - Born Again

Edited by tapfret - 16 Apr 2017 at 11:11am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:21am
^ I agree on Born Again, BS's weakest release if you ask me. 

I love FW's Parallels. 

DT - The Astonishing - what a mess!

Paradise Lost's last two albums - why did they get back to doom-death? Sorry, but Holmes as a growler does not do t for me, it did not do it in their early days neither. Now I can go hide... LOL

Def Leppard - constantly going downhill since Retroactive...

Yngwie Malmsteen - can't stand anything he did after 1996.

Slayer - Diabolus in Musica and GHAA... , their weakest efforts IMO.

Helloween - Straight Out of Hell - these guys usually deliver, but this one bored me terribly. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic