MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that make you think: What happened!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums that make you think: What happened!?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 7:34am
Just saw a comment about the band Slipknot and the obvious joke they are to many metal fans (especially prog minded ones) myself included. However, their debut album (which has since been called a demo and shunned by the band) is really...well surprising from what is largely the current members of Slipknot.

So it got me thinking, what albums make you think....what happened!? Either an awesome one and the band went to crap, or maybe the other way around! Maybe just a huge departure in change. Either way, what have you got?
I'll start with "Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat." by Slipknot. Seriously, wtf happened? Guess they decided money was goodLOL

Some examples. PLEASE, dont see Slipknot and just ignore it.

ShockedShocked
Shocked

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 02 Dec 2011 at 7:35am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 7:43am
Another is "Lunar Strain" by In Flames.
What on Earth happened to this band?  (Although I do like the Jester Race)
I've played this album for friends who like In Flames and besides never hearing of it ever, they ask if it's really the same band and "what is this shit, what happened?" I happen to feel the same way, just about their later materialLOL

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 10:54am
Well some examples would be St. Anger by Metalllica, Illud Divinium Insanus by Morbid Angel, The Burning Red by Machine Head and to some folks Risk by Megadeth.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 11:04am
Actually, to me "St. Anger" was a positive development in Metallica's corpus of work. Two albums that make me think "hat the hell happened" are Dominion's "Interface" (1996) and "Blackout" (1997) - the former is pretty good thrash metal with some sludge and groove tendencies, but the latter is some of the most boring and generic alt metal I've ever heard :-S
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 11:05am
^Don�t know either.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 12:27pm
The first two Sadus albums compared to that rubbish "reunion" they tried.  Ugh.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 12:36pm
I guess the "what happened???" moment for Metallica was when The Black Album came out. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 1:15pm
Sepultura's Roots is the first thing that springs to mind for me. Also Elvenking's The Scythe. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 1:38pm
Decapitated's Carnival is Forever.
PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PabstRibbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 2:48pm
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt... OMG
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 6:38pm
Slipknot are a joke ? I thought the world had came to respect them ever since Vol. 3

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I guess the "what happened???" moment for Metallica was when The Black Album came out. 

If I was old enough at the time, that probably would have been my WTF moment with Metallica.

Other WTF albums that are usually mentioned are Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake", Voivod's "Angel Rat" (though I really like it), and Cryptopsy's "The Unspoken King".
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 12:06am
Opeth's new album was pretty disappointing, but that might be just because I'm biased for the metal Tongue
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:52am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

[QUOTE=harmonium.ro]
Other WTF albums that are usually mentioned are Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake", Voivod's "Angel Rat" (though I really like it), and Cryptopsy's "The Unspoken King".

I have "Cold Lake", and I don't think it's that bad.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 7:10am
Hmm...I never thought of Angel Rat like a "WTF happened album". I think Nothingface had prepared most people for that change in sound.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 7:53am
Actually "ST. Anger" made me think WTF happened in a positive way, because, after "Load" and "Reload", I'd given up on Metallica ever playing fast and aggressive music again.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 8:16am
Kiss - Unmasked.

It is a very questionable album as far as I can hear.
At least with 'Elder you understand that they tried to ride the prog wave for money, but with Unmasked you have to wonder why all the songs were so uninteresting and lacking.

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Kiss - Unmasked.

At least with 'Elder you understand that they tried to ride the prog wave for money, but with Unmasked you have to wonder why all the songs were so uninteresting and lacking.

how can anyone ride the prog wave for money? I actually like The Elder, for me it's one of Kiss' best albums, it was one of the few times they tried something different, i respect that. I agree on Unmasked, it's one of their worst albums indeed.

My worst "what happened " album is got to be the last Queensryche album. What a mess of an album! One of my biggest disappointments from a band I love.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 8:12am
I dislike "Hear in the Now Frontier" more.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Kiss - Unmasked.

how can anyone ride the prog wave for money? I actually like The Elder, for me it's one of Kiss' best albums, it was one of the few times they tried something different, i respect that. I agree on Unmasked, it's one of their worst albums indeed.

My worst "what happened " album is got to be the last Queensryche album. What a mess of an album! One of my biggest disappointments from a band I love.

I don't know, it was popular at the time, they thought that doing something popular that wasn't their current sound might make them more money than just staying the same.

Obviously it didn't work. But you have to imagine that if there were no prog bands, Kiss wouldn't have come up with Music From The Elder on their own in a vacuum.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic