MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 3 Favorite Cover Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 3 Favorite Cover Songs
    Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:52am
Thought I would throw this topic out to the masses and see where it goes. 

Top 3 favorite cover songs done that you've heard. Why three? So, it could introduce enough songs from the "hopeful" responses to get some conversations started without inundating the forum all at once with lists so long that no one will read them. 

I'll start off with 3 of my favorites:

Mexican Radio (Wall of Voodoo) - Celtic Frost  I love the raw sound of it and the fact of them goofing off for a change.
Children of the Grave (Black Sabbath) - White Zombie  Love the production on it. Makes an already great song better.
Blitzkrieg (Diamond Head) - Metallica  Probably my favorite of all the Diamond Head covers Metallica did.

Hmmm. Just thinking. I used to have a mix tape, back in the day,  that my friend Jeff did for me that had every one of the "ooohs" and "heys" that Tom Warrior of Celtic Frost ever dropped into a song all run together. I remember listening to it the first time and laughing so hard that Pepsi shot right out of my nose. Hilarious s#it. Wonder what ever happened to that damn thing.....
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 4:13am
Obituary - Circle Of The Tyrants (Celtic Frost cover) is the first one that springs to mind.
Perhaps Katalepsy - Rabid (Mortician Cover) as well.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 4:58am
I usually don�t appreciate cover songs much, but here�s a couple that I think are pretty great:
Defleshed playing "Red Hot" by M�tley Crue

Here�s Benediction playing "Forged in Fire" by Anvil. Love that one:

...and Metal Church covered by Panzerchrist:

Edited by UMUR - 11 Nov 2011 at 5:37am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 5:00am
Oh and guys if you want to put youtube clips into your posts, you have to post your text first and after that Chose the "edit post" option under "Post Options" and insert movie clip.

Edited by UMUR - 11 Nov 2011 at 5:37am
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 12:26pm
Today I would say these:

Metallica - Am I Evil? (Diamond Head)
Skyclad - Emerald (Thin Lizzy)
Sepultura - Orgasmatron (Motorhead)

Tomorrow one of these might show up:
Gamma Ray - Heavy Metal Mania (Holocaust)
Anthrax - Got the Time (Joe Jackson)
Metallica - Last Caress/Green Hell (Misfits)
Metallica - Turn the Page (Bob Seger)
Metallica - So What? (Anti-Nowhere League)
A Perfect Circle - Imagine (John Lennon)
Solitude Aeturnus - Shame on the Night (Dio)
Forbidden - Dissident Aggressor (Judas Priest)
Heaven's Gate - This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us (Sparks)
Nevermore - Love Bites (Judas Priest)

Edited by Vic - 11 Nov 2011 at 12:30pm
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 12:28pm
OOoo... Never heard the Nevermore cover of Love Bites....I need to look that one up.
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 12:32pm
Pig Destroyer - Genital Grinder and Exhume To Consume (carcass covers)

Anyone ever heard Mastodon - The Emerald (Thin Lizzy cover)?
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 2:22pm
Iron Maiden's covers of Thin Lizzy's 'Massacre' and Jethro Tull's 'Cross-Eyed Mary' are pretty interesting.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:03pm
I like Opeth's cover of Remember Tomorrow
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:21pm
Enchant - Man of Our Times (Genesis cover)
WASP - Easy Livin' (Uriah Heep cover)
Odyssey - Shake the Disease (a project of Dan Swano doing a Depeche Mode cover)

Edited by LittleBig - 11 Nov 2011 at 3:22pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 1:57am
That Nevermore cover of Love Bites is certainly thinking out of the box and making it their own song.....

Three more covers that I dig 

I Want You (She's So Heavy) The Beatles - Coroner I love their take on the song, it just works for me.
Burn Deep Purple - WASP  Not my fav cover that they've done (The Real Me takes that one) but It captures DPs energy
Screaming For Vengeance Judas Priest - Sepultura  Raw and aggressive...whats not to like?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 2:03am
Slayer playing Dissident Aggressor by Judas Priest. Here�s a vid with both the cover version and the originalo included:

Edited by UMUR - 17 Nov 2011 at 2:05am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 2:07am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Slayer playing Dissident Aggressor by Judas Priest. 

Another case of a band remaking an original song all their own. I've always liked both versions because of the diversity.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 4:22am
That one is pretty cool indeed. Allthough Slayer's version of Born To Be Wild (of Steppenwolf) is one of the worst covers ever.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 4:44am
Mastodon - Emerald - Thin Lizzy

Mastodon - Orion - Metallica

Mastodon - Just Got Paid - ZZ Top
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 4:52am
Originally posted by Woutjinho Woutjinho wrote:

That one is pretty cool indeed. Allthough Slayer's version of Born To Be Wild (of Steppenwolf) is one of the worst covers ever.

I can imagine, but I haven�t heard it. As far as I remember they�ve also covered In-a-gadda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly.

...Yep I found it here:

Edited by UMUR - 17 Nov 2011 at 4:52am
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 7:05am
1. The Afforementioned Slayer Dissident Agressor.

Edited by Kingcrimsonprog - 17 Nov 2011 at 7:05am

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:29am
That Five Finger Death Punch cover of Bad Company leaves a taste of Nickelback in my mouth for some odd reason....
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:36am
I always thought Forbidden's version really destroyed Slayer's, which I always thought was kind of mediocre...
Here it is for comparison:

Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 4:08pm
Cross-eyed Mary- Maiden covering Jethro Tull
Diamond's and Rust- Priest covering Joan Baez
White Rabbit- Sanctuary covering Jefferson Airplane
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic