MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missed Opportunities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missed Opportunities
    Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 11:06pm
Having just joined MMA and looking over the forums, I thought I would venture forth and strike up an interesting topic: Missed Opportunities.

Here is an example: Why didn't Van Halen and Sammy Hagar ever explore songs with an all-out  two guitar attack? A great missed opportunity to hear Eddie cut loose in songs where he didnt have to carry the rhythm and melody until the usual bridge solo. Could've been something really interesting.

Something along that line. I'm curious to see where people take this...

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 8:18am
Interesting idea.

I've wondered what could have happened if Bathory ever played live.  All I know is that Quorthon played a few shows around the beginning of the Bathory career (good luck finding them), but then released basically the entire Bathory discography and never once played a live show.  Disappointing now because he's dead.  The viking anthems on Hammerheart would have been epic in an open air concert.
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Interesting idea.

I've wondered what could have happened if Bathory ever played live.  All I know is that Quorthon played a few shows around the beginning of the Bathory career (good luck finding them), but then released basically the entire Bathory discography and never once played a live show.  Disappointing now because he's dead.  The viking anthems on Hammerheart would have been epic in an open air concert.

Fantastic thought there, Wily. I know a friend of mine who was a Radio Disc Jockey when Quorthon had released his first Bathory album would have killed to see him live. Who knows? Maybe more live exposure would have had a bigger impact on not only his popularity, but on songwriting for playing live as well. Could have pushed him into a whole other direction....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:46pm
Another missed Opportunity:  Metallica's firing of Dave Mustaine.  

Had Metallica retained Dave, not only would they been a musically stronger band playing and songwriting-wise, I think the strong personalities of Burton and Mustaine may have countered Ulrich and Hetfield's and kept the band grounded for longer. Not only is the loss of Kirks' guitar addition by subtraction, but Dave also would've given Metallica a second option vocally. 

Would Metallica's Master of Puppets been even better for it? We can only conjecture....

I do know this. Firing Mustaine for his attitude and substance abuse issues was the pot calling the kettle black. They weren't know world-wide as Alcoholica for nothing. Its about as hypocritical as the firing of Steven Adler from GNR by a band that was doing just as much drugs as he was collectively. But in the end, we'll never know how much Metallicas' metal destiny was changed by letting Dave go early in their musical career.

I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 7:08am
Missed Opportunity:
Slipknot making a new album sooner.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Missed Opportunity:
Slipknot making a new album sooner.

I understand the grieving process is a difficult one. Add on clearing up business matters, auditioning a replacement, writing the music, etc... I'm not at all surprised its taken this long at all. 

To be honest, my thought upon hearing of Grays death, I thought Slipknot would call it a day, part ways, and form different bands out of the whole thing.
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:06pm
Quote I do know this. Firing Mustaine for his attitude and substance abuse issues was the pot calling the kettle black. They weren't know world-wide as Alcoholica for nothing.

They have acknowledged this. Hetfield & Ulrich (according to them) were what they called "happy drunks". Mustaine, by all accounts, was a "mean drunk". Hetfield & Ulrich got happy, stupid and relaxed when they drank...Mustaine got angry and hateful. It's a bad combination.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic