MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:02am
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I quite like Arena too especially "Peppers Ghost" album.

Anyone like Devin Townsend?
'Ziltoid',  'Terria'...
Or Ayreon

'Human Equation', '01011001',

great prog metal

I love Ziltoid. Thumbs Up

I still have that one lying around here somewhere, gonna listen to that this afternoon. And i love Ayreon to.

And, a happy birthday A Person!

Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:13am
Ayreon is amazing, with The Human Equasion ranking very, very high in my preferences, and Universal Migrator a close second. Couldn't really "get into" 01011001, but I'll give it another shot next time I feel in the proper mood.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:41am
Somewhere around MMA I wrote that I got "The Bleeding" from Psychotic Waltz Drummer
Norm Leggio himself (he ran from their Studio!) in San Diego after the Store Manager of
"Blue Meanie Records" called him to get a copy Big smile.
I have all the original 1st printings of their CD's and I enjoy them often (and various Tracks
on my homemade Prog Compilations).  I bought my 1st-"Through the Everflow" as a blind
buy "Used" for 99� at The Warehouse Records (when they began selling used CD's) and
was really shocked how great they were! (I judged the album by the cover and the song
titles/Song lengths, so I bought it)!

PoS, I was reading about them in a now long gone Metal Mag called "Ill Literature" and was
intrigued by the Cover of "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" and bought it at the Tower Records
I'd eventually work at in Santa Monica Ca. (3rd St. Promenade).
Was really blown away by his Vocals/Lyrics and the incredible musicianship all around.
"Scar Sick" has been growing on me, the last EP was a dissapointment, but I know that "Road
Salt" is losing alot of fans, but me and 3 others on our way to see Iron Maiden 3 months ago
listened to it . . . ALL of us were really blown away, its not even Prog . . .
its . . . something else Ermm I'd say . . . Avant Garde! Daniel has truely reinvented the Band Smile.

I'm a Late bloomer on Symphony X as "V" was my 1st buy and listen when it debuted, Russell
Allen is truely one of the best Metal vocalists out there.  I prefer V-post era, but am listening to
many songs from earlier albums at my fave Prog Internet Station where there are many fans.

Opeth I had been reading about (same Mag mentioned) throughout their career up till "Still
Life", and did NOT hear them till that album, until I saw them open for "Nevermore (Dead Heart
in a Dead World Tour)" and they toured for "Blackwater Park" . . . A M A Z I N G! Clap
Instant fan, Still Life was my 1st buy, then Blackwater, and went backwards! LOVE every
album after, I'm a fanboy.  Soilwork, My Dying Bride, Gardenian, Extol, Edge of Sanity
("Crimson") and Opeth were the 1st bands I heard use the Death Metal and Clean Vocals
simultaneously, but the Acoustic Guitars into Double Bass, Guitar Riffage brutality . . .
Opeth (and My Dying Bride) I think are being forgotten that they started a new age of
Melodic Death Metal.

Jon Olivias Pain . . .
I'm getting my listens at that Station, its okay, I was a Savatage Fan from "Sirens" on, and saw Jon
at the 1st Annual BAR Fest in San Francisco (Bay Area Rock Fest) with 7 other Prog Metal acts.
He would rant about the current-at-the-time Savatage, talk about "Snorting Coke" and other stuff
and me and my friend were just looking at each other just shaking our heads . . .
Between Songs-He just sat at his Keyboard Ranting and wild eyed, "Huge" bloated and looking
. . . sad Unhappy.
I think this man has not gotten over his Brothers passing (Chris Oliva), he was one of the best
Metal Guitarists out there.  Find some OLD footage of Savatage on YOUtube and see how Jon
has changed.

. . . but I'll have to give his new album a listen.

I'm a HUGE Ayreon fan too Big smile Arjen Luccasen is not only a genius, but his side projects are just
as good and has a GREAT ear for talent and many of my fave vocalists have graced his projects.
Cant wait for the NEW "Star One" album!

Its funny . . .
About a year after I 1st got Ayreons "The Universal Migrator I" and "II", I thought I had seen Arjen
before, I flipped through my Metal LP's and saw his Pic behind this Album Tongue:

UM I and II were from soo long ago, I never would imagine that reading about him and Ayreon
in Progressions Magizine, that he'd be soo HUGE today Smile.

Rawks

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 02 Sep 2010 at 5:20am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:44am
I like all of Opeth's work, but Still Life is my favorite. Superb album!
I have been listening more to their first 2 albums, interesting stuff.

As for Symphony X, been a long time fan and met them once at my record store! Cool guys.
I don't really like their first album, (bad vocals and meh music) but The Divine Wings, Odyssey, and Paradise Lost are all 5* IMO
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 5:00am
If I had to chose I would chose Odyssey. Crushingly heavy that one. Just my poison.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:48am
Listened to Star Ones new album recently and was blown away by it - Arjen is incredible on this and the vocal guest performers such as Symphony X are excellent. Overall prog metal is what I mostly listen to apart from classic glam artists and 70s classic metal.
GLAM METAL!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 11:50am

Listened to Star Ones new album recently and was blown away by it - Arjen is incredible on this and the vocal guest performers such as Symphony X are excellent. Overall prog metal is what I mostly listen to apart from classic glam artists and 70s classic metal.

Yeah the new Star One is defintely another quality release that we're used to from Arjen. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 12:40pm
~BUMP~

I figured I should do this since this thread is so important LOL

But, I agree with all this, a quality album Thumbs Up

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 2:37pm
Has anyone here heard the new album from Vanden Plas? Great stuff! I may do a review later today...

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/vanden-plas--the-seraphic-clockwork.aspx
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Yeah the new Star One is defintely another quality release that we're used to from Arjen. Thumbs Up

I heard it for the first time a couple of days ago and, while I think there's some really great stuff on it, I'm not really as hyped about it as a lot of people seem to be.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I heard it for the first time a couple of days ago and, while I think there's some really great stuff on it, I'm not really as hyped about it as a lot of people seem to be.

This is just one of those albums where you either "love it or hate it". If you've enjoyed his recent Ayreon albums you'd love it, but everyone who either likes his old stuff (or none of it at all) won't be too excited. I think it's a great album, but it still doesn't measure up to some of his best music.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:06pm

This is just one of those albums where you either "love it or hate it". If you've enjoyed his recent Ayreon albums you'd love it, but everyone who either likes his old stuff (or none of it at all) won't be too excited. I think it's a great album, but it still doesn't measure up to some of his best music.

I think it's quite good, so I don't hate it. But it didn't get me hyped up like, say, Death Angel's "Relentless Retribution" did or even the new Day Six album, or the Z��l EP, or some of the Indian stuff that came out this year.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 5:24pm
^ Speaking of Indian stuff, have you heard of Guillotine? Their debut album is excellent progressive death metal! Clap

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/guillotine--the-cynic.aspx
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 6:27pm

To tell the truth, before Victims I never owned a single album be Arjen Embarrassed

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

To tell the truth, before Victims I never owned a single album be Arjen Embarrassed

If you still don't have anything, I would recommend picking up either The Human Equation or 01001101 from Ayreon.  01001101 is my favorite (although I haven't listened to The Human Equation many times). The cast of guests should also appeal to you.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 6:42pm
Daniel Gildenlow right?

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 7:14pm
^ yup. Headbanger
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 2:16am
01011001 had a great vocal cast, but my favourite Ayreon album remains Into the Electric Castle. With that said, as I'm pretty sure I wrote in at least one of my Ayreon reviews, Ayreon's discography is one of the strongest I know, so you can go far wrong with anything there. Big smile
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:43am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

01011001 had a great vocal cast, but my favourite Ayreon album remains Into the Electric Castle. With that said, as I'm pretty sure I wrote in at least one of my Ayreon reviews, Ayreon's discography is one of the strongest I know, so you can go far wrong with anything there. Big smile

I actually don't have Into the Electric Castle (yet). I want to get it at some point, though.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:47am

Has anyone here heard the new album from Vanden Plas? Great stuff! I may do a review later today...

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/vanden-plas--the-seraphic-clockwork.aspx

Top album Jeff and nice review. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic