MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 2:10pm
The wacky Ziltoid. What�s not to loveThumbs Up. Great album.
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:14am
i liked the new Vanden Plas 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
LoudTrax.com View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 12:11pm
any comments on our Progressive Metal section on our Metal download site are appreciated:

LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 4:34pm
Prog Metal is great
Right now, my favorite is Opeth
Oh, and Dream Theater is pretty cool
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:57pm
opeth is interesting, but unfortunately their evolution into progressive metal took that "something" away from them that made them tick

dream theater...well, their three last albums sound like their first three or four, but with different riff arrangements

i await the day when i will discover a more interesting band than liquid tension experiment (in my opinion, the most complete progressive metal band...and yes, i am a petrucci fan)

other interesting prog metal that i listen to a lot: necrophagist (brilliant technical death metal band), meshuggah (for their polirithms) and blotted science (started to listen to 'em 'coz of my jarzombek-fan era a while ago)

Edited by kogaionon - 18 Aug 2010 at 5:58pm
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:19am
Ooh, Liquid Tension Experiment, I love that! 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:53am
Anybody familiar with Heaven�s Cry ( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/heavens-cry.aspx?ac=heaven)? They are a pretty unique progressive metal act. The melodies aren�t too obvious and their albums takes a bit of getting used to but that�s what I like about them. The three guitarists in the band also gives them quite a unique sound. Oh and I enjoy that keyboards/ synths are only used occasionally.

If anyone enjoys Spiral Architect ( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/spiral-architect.aspx?ac=spira), both Twisted Into Form ( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/twisted-into-form.aspx?ac=twisted) and Manitou ( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/manitou.aspx)might be interesting too. They are related acts. Twisted Into Form is pretty similar in style while Manitou is more like a technical Fates Warning sounding act. Manitou share vocalist with Spiral Architect.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:01am
Heaven's Cry = Excellent band and one of my PM favourites.

Highly recommended to any fan of PM.

Have releases for Spiral Architect, Twisted into Form and Manitou. It's been a while since I gave them a spin, I'll have to dig them out. Thanks for reminding me Jonas Big smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:05am

Yeah Heaven�s Cry has been one of my favorite PM bands in the last couple of years too. They deserve much more recognision than they have gotten so far.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:15am
oh and just to add both of Heaven's Cry's albums are available free from their website.

Obviously, they would be delighted if you can afford a donation Wink

No excuses to become a fan too now LOL

Adding both albums to my playlist today. Big smile

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:32am
Aw man . . .
Dont get me started on Spiral Architect and Twisted Into Form! Big smile some true "Math Metal" at its best!
(along with Watchtower, Cacophony, To-mera, A ((wake)), Continuo Renacer and many others).
I have still not heard Manitou, but you may want to hear "Scariot" with the SA vocalist on their last
album (I believe).
Still in the works to put up a Tech-Thrash/Math/Death Metal Post sometime before 2012 LOL.
Still need to add my Prog Metal faves here Wink as its my fave genre . . .

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 19 Aug 2010 at 10:07pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:37am
Yeah now you have the stars to do such thingsSmile

Continuo Renacer are a pretty impressive act too. Not many know about them though.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:42am
Hahaha! LOL
Really!? We in America would say, "What? I have PULL"? LOL
About Spains "Continuo", I'm telling you, ALL you guys would LOVE the Internet Station I listen to,
if you like Progressive Rock and Prog Metal and all its sub-genres, its a GREAT place to discover
the obscure Wink and talk to the Fans that worship them . . .
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:51am
Any thoughts on Jon Oliva's Pain?
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Ulfednar Ulfednar wrote:

Any thoughts on Jon Oliva's Pain?

I actually haven't checked that out yet. I absolutely love his stuff with Savatage, though. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:29pm
I love prog metal. Currently listening to Psychotic Waltz and Pain of Salvation.
Thumbs Up

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:04am
Psychotic Waltz is a fave of mine. One of the most unique sounding prog metal acts. I saw them live twice ( got two tour longsleeves to prove it Smile) and they were great on stage too. I guess bad promotion and worse distribution killed them in the end ( and something about a law suit from a former roadie if I remember correctly). Really sad they never got the recognision and commercial success they deserved. I�m still dreaming of a reunion.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:08am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Psychotic Waltz is a fave of mine. One of the most unique sounding prog metal acts. I saw them live twice ( got two tour longsleeves to prove it Smile) and they were great on stage too. I guess bad promotion and worse distribution killed them in the end ( and something about a law suit from a former roadie if I remember correctly). Really sad they never got the recognision and commercial success they deserved. I�m still dreaming of a reunion.

That is awesome about the shows!
They are truly a unique band.

Another unique band out there that I've always liked and been digging as of late:
Pain of Salvation! 
Entropia is a brilliant album in particular
Oh, and as always I am an Opeth and Symphony X fanboy LOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 20 Aug 2010 at 3:08am

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:13am
It�s been a while since I gave Pain of Salvation a chance ( I reviewed the debut album for PA a while back, but wasn�t too thrilled), but I�ll give the albums a spin sometime in the future to see if I dig them better now. Sometimes a little time between listens helps.

I�ve listened to a lot of Symphony X but not so much in the last 5 years. I just haven�t been in progressive metal/ power metal mode in a while.

Opeth!!! oh sweet lord I love Opeth. Great band.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:19am
When I say I'm on a binge I don't lie...I've been listening to Opeth like there's no tomorrow.
One of my top 5 favorite bands, period.
Brilliant!

And I also can dig the Symphony X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic