MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 6:03pm
Thank you. Traditional Prog is my favourite. See if you like Caravellus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um6JANvkMPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph5nHuQF8Ss

There are a lot of great prog bands coming out of Brazil and Italy these days.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 11:01am
Originally posted by diamondblack diamondblack wrote:

There are a lot of great prog bands coming out of Brazil [...] these days.

Yeah. I particularly enjoyed "Devils Dance" by Ivory Gates.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I think this is easily the most unique sounding melodic prog metal album I've since, well ever. 

holy f what you posted from this band kicks ass omg im hooked
diamondblack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 5:43am
Been listening Ivory Gates for a week now. Pretty Cool Stuff. Thank you Time Signature Thumbs Up

Have you heard last album from Divided Multitude and ZeroGravity. Not that well known but very good pieces.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 6:39am
New Haken album:

Easily my most anticipated release now. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 12:48pm
So, this is the artwork for the upcoming, self titled Dream Theater album:

I'm very excited for the music, but does anyone else think that the artwork is pretty lame as well as the choice to simply name the album Dream Theater?
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I'm very excited for the music, but does anyone else think that the artwork is pretty lame as well as the choice to simply name the album Dream Theater?

Since it's self-titled, they should have put on the cover a bunch of people watching a guy sleep on stage. LOL
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Since it's self-titled, they should have put on the cover a bunch of people watching a guy sleep on stage. LOL

LOLClap
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 12:26pm
I'll say the same here as I said when this was posted on my forums, it's a simple cover for an album with a simple name, but it still looks better than the art for Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. 

In truth I rather like the artwork. I don't think it's very Dream Theater which is really ironic considering it is self-titled, but I think it's different (for them) in a good way. 

LaBrie has a new solo album out too:

I'm still more excited about the new Haken album though as far as upcoming prog goes. I love Dream Theater but they are a band that don't really offer up much of a surprise, Portnoy's departure not withstanding, so I'm definitely more interested to hear how Haken can match both Aquarius and Visions. 

Also on the prog front Anubis Gate's new one is called Horizons. AG are a definite favourite of mine but this one is going to be especially interesting since as of this one they don't have any original members on the album. The only performers in the band now that were on their debut Purification were guests in those days. 

And let's not forget Ayreon is back with The Theory of Everything this year.

With the exception of LaBrie, because I still prefer DT to his solo work, all albums I have to say I'm more excited about that DT's. I know that's probably taboo for a prog metal fan, but it's how I feel.
GG2U

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 6:10pm
The new Ayreon album is my most anticipated of the ones you mentioned. Thumbs Up
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 5:24am
Thinking about it, I think I'm a bit more excited for Ayreon than Haken myself, but only just. 

I already heard quite a few good prog releases this year as well:

Vandroya - One (prog power)
In Vain - �nigma (prog death)
Trophallaxy - Resilience (prog power)
Sedulity - The Valley of Dying Stars (prog thrash) *free download*
Lascaille's Shroud - Interval 01: Parallel Infinities - The Inner Universe (prog death) *free download*
Factory of Dreams - Some Kind of Poetic Destruction (prog symphonic)
Fallujah - Nomadic (EP, prog/tech death)
Okular - Sexforce (prog death)
Tellus Requiem - Invictus (The 11th Hour) 
Todtgelichter - Apnoe (blackened prog)
Oceans of Slumber - Aetherial (extreme prog)
Artaius - The Fifth Season  (prog folk)
GG2U

Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 10:02am
Speaking of Anubis Gate, I wish they'd re-release their earlier stuff. I only have the last, self-titled album.

It's ok but not great, in my opinion. But I've heard that their earlier albums were better, and you just can't find 'em, even on amazon's used sellers.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 10:06am
I personally loved the self-titled, but about the older ones it's because before they were signed to Nightmare they were on Locomotive, and Locomotive went bankrupt, which means no mean CD's were pressed. I'm fortunate to have been able to pick them up when I could, but even then it was difficult. Keep your eyes on ebay, it's where I had my luck. It would be nice for both them and the fans of Nightmare re-issued the older work though. The Detached is an all time favourite of mine. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:03am
Here are some nice progressive albums I've been listening to lately:

Kingcrow - In Crescendo -2013  
Klone - The Dreamer's Hideaway (2012)
Disperse - Journey Through the Hidden Gardens - 2010 (plus their new one, not as good as this one)
In the Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad (2012)
The Aurora Project - Selling The Aggression (2013)
Eyefear - The Unseen (2008)
OSI - Fire Make Thunder - 2012
Bolus - Triangulate (2013)
Bruce Soord With Jonas Renkse - Wisdom Of Crowds - 2013
Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (2013) - Ted Leonard is great!

Edited by LittleBig - 18 Jul 2013 at 7:05am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 3:23pm
I�m not really sure if this is the right sub genre thread to speak about Biomechanical as they also feature both power and thrash metal elements in their sound and as such aren�t a full blown progressive metal act, but here I go. I�ve been listening to "Eight Moons" a lot lately and I just wanted to share the opinion that it�s a great album. I gave Biomechanical some listens a few years back and couldn�t really get into their music, but I�m pretty much won over now. What a fantastic release. I can�t wait until I get the time to hear the NeXT two albums:

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 6:38am

Darkness in a different Light is the title of the new Fates warning album, due to be released this autumn; my most anticipated release of the year. 

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 10:14am
^Yeah I�m looking forward to that one too.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Darkness in a different Light is the title of the new Fates warning album, due to be released this autumn; my most anticipated release of the year. 

I can't wait!  I think I'll order tickets to see them when they come through Toronto. Big smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 11:20am
New Dream Theater song, The Enemy Inside, official stream: http://smarturl.it/theenemyinside

I'm liking this a lot based on my first listen. First impressions are a lot stronger than they were with On the Backs of Angels from the last album. 
GG2U

RyanDuke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 12:14am
Guitar work is stellar as usual. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic