MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 1:06am
For the Euro's who cant get it Wink . . .

This was a comment I left at a friends Fb page (Vince Levalois of Prototype, who liked the track);
"Man I'm hearing arguments already about DT.  I like what I hear but its not anything new, been a fan since
WDADU on "LP" and have defended them and back. As 2 people pointed out, Jordan's Key "plunking" and
stop-go playing is becoming too uniform.
How can DT "Re-invent the wheel" when they have a sound all their own.
But, not that they sound anything like these bands; but Rush, Fates Warning and for a time Queensryche
could sound different on each album, yet still be "themselves" and be totally recognizable.
How do you do that?
I'm looking forward to hearing "Haken" too, but also more tracks from DT".

Again, I'll preface that I'm a HUGE Dream Theater fan . . .

I'll wait till final judgement after 10 listens to the album, it still sounds like Portnoy on drums to me
(which bothers me only because - then, they shouldnt have let him go, but now 'imo', HE is more
diverse with his projects), even though I like Mangini, I still wonder what Marco Minnemann or
Peter Wildoer would have added, I think it would have taken them into new territories.

From what I have heard from "Haken", this is sounding a bit more interesting . . .

Now I hear a few people say "Stop comparing them", but musically speaking Haken is
cut from the same cloth, its like DT doesnt sound like Fates Warning, but Lemur Voice
sounded like DT (not vocally of course).
Haken doesnt sound like RUSH, but they have the same style as DT - yet are different.

REALLY looking forward to the new Fates Warning though, but it seems its a great year for Prog Metal Smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 06 Aug 2013 at 11:09am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 1:30am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

New Dream Theater song, The Enemy Inside, official stream: http://smarturl.it/theenemyinside

I'm liking this a lot based on my first listen. First impressions are a lot stronger than they were with On the Backs of Angels from the last album. 

I agree. First impressions are a lot better than they were with "On the Backs of Angels". I still feel they sound a bit stagnated at this point though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 5:21am
I know what you mean. A new DT album doesn't excite to the level that other bands do these days. I think they've reached the stage where they know what they're good at, so don't try to fix that which is not broken. 

New Haken is sounding great so far. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 9:30pm
Fates Warning fans, please skip to 26:30 in the video posted here: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-new-song-into-the-black-available-for-streaming/
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Fates Warning fans, please skip to 26:30 in the video posted here: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-new-song-into-the-black-available-for-streaming/

Hey Stooge, you wouldnt happen to be part of the Group "At Fates Hands" at Fb would you? Wink

I still need to hear the rest of the show, the group has very positive things to say about the song Big smile

"AT Fates Hands"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/175070405864837/

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Hey Stooge, you wouldnt happen to be part of the Group "At Fates Hands" at Fb would you? Wink

I still need to hear the rest of the show, the group has very positive things to say about the song Big smile

"AT Fates Hands"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/175070405864837/

No, I'm not part of that group.  I'm not very active on Facebook.  I only check in every now and then.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 2:51am
Ah, okay. Just somebody worded the same with that same post Wink.

FW sounding great! Big smile

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 1:07pm
New Ayreon album line-up is shaping up quite nicely:

Vocals:
Marco Hietala (Nightwish/Tarot)
JB Christoffersson (Grand Magus)
Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)

Keyboards:
Keith Emerson (ELP)
Rick Wakeman (Yes)
Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)

Drums:
Ed Warby

Very hyped for this one!
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:27am
Dream Theater streaming another new song online; pretty decent. 
http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F109173624%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-bMKdM

or

http://www.grammy.com/news/grammycom-exclusive-first-listen-dream-theater

Edited by LittleBig - 11 Sep 2013 at 7:28am
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:30am

Vocals:

Keyboards:
Keith Emerson (ELP)
Rick Wakeman (Yes)

Drums:
Ed Warby

Very hyped for this one!

Don't forget Tommy Karevik on vocals.

Just found this new Norwegian band, Withem. Their debut album is due out in October.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:02pm
Turns out Frank Aresti won't be touring with Fates Warning this year (he's replaced by Mike Abdow).  Kinda sucks, but still looking forward to the Toronto show in November.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:48am
Sad news for FW fans Cry . . . 

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:51am
So I am curious guys . . .

What do you think of this list? A few of us had some strong opinions on Progulus Internet Radio Group
at Fb.  The "Greeks" do know a thing or 2 about obscure Prog Metal, but could some of these be Too
Obscure to have influenced many others, while some important bands and albums have been left out? . . .

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:45am
Interesting list. I'll check out Jester's March WHO I haven't heard befare.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 2:22am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Interesting list. I'll check out Jester's March WHO I haven't heard befare.

That is soo funny, I had not heard of them either (which was a point I made after the writer wrote me on
Fb noticing my "small" suggestions, boy did I give him an answer Tongue ) and looked them up. They are
quite awesome Smile. "Influential"? . . . ???
There are 3 others I had not heard but only liked 1 of them, imagine, 2 I didnt like from an "essential"
Prog Metal list Wink.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 15 Sep 2013 at 2:24am

Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:38pm
Yes, very interesting article, thanks for posting. I too have never heard of Jester's March before.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Vocals:

Keyboards:
Keith Emerson (ELP)
Rick Wakeman (Yes)

Drums:
Ed Warby

Very hyped for this one!

Don't forget Tommy Karevik on vocals.

Obviously, if Tommy had been announced at the time I made that post, I'd have mentioned him. Wink

The new Ayreon release has an MMA page here with the full line-up and track list etc: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/ayreon--the-theory-of-everything.aspx

In other news, the new Haken video is bloody awesome.

GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 3:10am
Subsignal are to release a new album this year as well, I can hardly wait.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 4:05am
I don�t know Subsignal. Which type of progressive metal do they play?
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 4:53am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I don�t know Subsignal. Which type of progressive metal do they play?

Subsignal rose from the ashes of Sieges Even; it's a band of Arno Menses (vocals and keys) and Markus Steffen (guitar) of Sieges Even. They sound like later day Sieges even (which is awesome to me, a shame Sieges Even disbanded). They will release their third album.
If you like Sieges Even, give them a chance. Their debut album is great - Beautiful & Monstruous (2009) as is their second album - Touchstones (2011). They will be hard to top or even come on the same level. We'll see what they will come up with soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic