MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Just beginning with the whole prog metal thing at the moment. So just Dream Theater and its cousin, Liquid Tension Experiment for me. But I'm looking about for proressive power metal as some of it seemed very much to my taste. So hopefully, I will become a well educated fan of the genre over the coming months...Smile

Rhapsody (of Fire) and Symphony X are the most prominent prog/power bands in the genre, and they're pretty good. Another lesser known one is Mago de Oz which is pretty good too.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:46pm
Have any of you guys heard about perfectprog.net? [link] I found it recently. It's a progressive-metal social network. I thought it was interesting. Smile
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 1:41am
^^
Yeah I have and I am a member.

hirszu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hirszu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:39am
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Just beginning with the whole prog metal thing at the moment. So just Dream Theater and its cousin, Liquid Tension Experiment for me. But I'm looking about for proressive power metal as some of it seemed very much to my taste. So hopefully, I will become a well educated fan of the genre over the coming months...Smile

Rhapsody (of Fire) and Symphony X are the most prominent prog/power bands in the genre, and they're pretty good. Another lesser known one is Mago de Oz which is pretty good too.

Also, check out Amorphis (last two albums definitely)
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:07am
I have discovered something wonderous...
SHADOW GALLERY!
...Greatly appealing to my inner progger Geek
...and my inner metalhead Evil Smile
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:00pm
^^ great discovery Smile
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:19pm

SHADOW GALLERY!

Great band... Mike Baker was one of the best singers IMO. It's really a shame that he died so young. RIP. Heart
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 2:50am
I discovered shadow gallery with this song (with the excellent and underrated Kevin Soffera on drums)

FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 7:40am
   ^
Yeah, it was 'Tyranny' I bought. SOOOOO GOOD. Clap
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 1:16pm

SHADOW GALLERY!

They were a late discovery for me too; only really got into them last year but what a great band!
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 2:09pm
Now listening to a great Prog Metal album, though of an edgier nature than most of the bands mentioned so far - Voivod's The Outer Limits.  Another band that suffered the untimely loss of one of its core membersUnhappy...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Now listening to a great Prog Metal album, though of an edgier nature than most of the bands mentioned so far - Voivod's The Outer Limits.  Another band that suffered the untimely loss of one of its core membersUnhappy...

RIP Piggy!!! Disapprove  Voivod is great as well. I'm not the biggest fan, but I love Dimension Hatross!Big smile
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 5:09pm
I still can't believe that Riverside is beating DT on the Prog Metal poll at PA. Are all the DT fankids asleep at this time of year or something?
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

I still can't believe that Riverside is beating DT on the Prog Metal poll at PA. Are all the DT fankids asleep at this time of year or something?

I am considering getting a second account in order to vote for DT!! LOL (just kidding, don't penalize me or anything!)Tongue

I am really pissed off though.... Riverside is alright IMO, but nowhere near THE defining prog metal band. Whether you like them are not, DT IS prog metal!!! Rawks
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 9:37pm

My FAVE Voi-Vod Album, though most fans will like it least, also hard to find in the stores (it may
have been re-released) and my CD came with 3D glasses for the Art in the Booklet Big smile.
Its their most progiest album thats for sure.  The last track "Jack Luminous" is EPIC and awesome!

And whats this about DT vs Riverside?  Both Bands respect each other and are completely
different Bands, maybe the DT fans are not voting because its a silly poll Confused.
Theyre BOTH awesome Wink.
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 6:35am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I am considering getting a second account in order to vote for DT!! LOL (just kidding, don't penalize me or anything!)Tongue

I am really pissed off though.... Riverside is alright IMO, but nowhere near THE defining prog metal band. Whether you like them are not, DT IS prog metal!!! Rawks

Remember that DT are too metal for a lot of prog fans. Riverside, for what I know of them (and I'm really curious to see them at NEARfest in just one month's time), are more likely to appeal to the average prog fans, not just musically, but also on account of the vocals - which, in my humble opinion, are vastly superior to LaBrie's.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 7:52am

Remember that DT are too metal for a lot of prog fans. Riverside, for what I know of them (and I'm really curious to see them at NEARfest in just one month's time), are more likely to appeal to the average prog fans, not just musically, but also on account of the vocals - which, in my humble opinion, are vastly superior to LaBrie's.

That's true... I'm not much of a fan of the Riverside/Porcupine Tree style, although I really like the newest Riverside album.

Have fun seeing them at NEARfest! My dad and I were going to see them in some local place, but you have to be 21 to enter.... that really pisses me off! LOL
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:32am

Well, let's say that Mariusz Duda takes far less risks than Labrie : his singing is almost whisper-like and I can't sense any originality in his voice (sort of Wilson-like, wearisome and irritating). You can't deny that Labrie delivers some awesome singing on 'images and words' (that was a huge improvement on the bland Dominici) or you must be really deaf or abhor high-pitched vocals. I saw both bands on stage : I cannot say I got bored during the DT shows (I saw them twice), while there were moments when boredom grabbed me during the riverside show (which was not metal at all).
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 2:09pm
Guys, what do you think of the new Pain of Salvation. I was uterly dissapointed, being fan of the band this is huge blow for me, it is the worst PoS album so far for me. i only liked one song from there: Sisters. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 4:25pm

RIP Piggy!!! Disapprove  Voivod is great as well. I'm not the biggest fan, but I love Dimension Hatross!Big smile

Yeah the death of Piggy was a real blow. One of my favorite guitarists. A true inspiration on my own playing. I�m about the world�s most dedicated Voivod fanboy. Not that I enjoy all their stuff. I consider Dimension Hatr�ss, Nothingface and The outer Limits to be undisputed masterpieces and I�ve rated them all 5 stars on PA. Three of my favorite albums ever. I�ll re-write my PA reviews before posting them here on MMA though as they were some of my first reviews written for PA and they are not very good. Killing Technology is an excellent albums too and Angel Rat is pretty good as well. The rest do not live up to the standard of those 5 magnificent albums but some of the other albums are pretty good too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic