MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Did you know that the frontman is now a woman? Had a sexchange op.. and all.

Wow, I guess the brutal also fag up. Holy crap!
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

In the worlds of progressive metal, Kayo Dot's Choirs of the Eye is a stand-out for me as are Taal's albums and Hoyry-Kone (though there we're more Prog than metal).

I never quite understood why Kayo dot is classified as metal. IMO they are more like an avant-garde mixture of rock, jazz and heavy metal. They are somewhere in between.
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:22pm

Originally posted by DeathOfSeasons DeathOfSeasons wrote:

Sigh is a great act. I haven�t listened to Imaginary Sonicscape yet, but it�s next on my list. I�m actually in the process of reviewing Scenario IV: Dread Dreams. I�ve simply started from an end with their discography.
Scenario IV: Dread Dreams is a fantastic album too, definitely their most underrated along with Gallows Gallery. Sigh can really do no wrong.

Oh, and I love your user picture thing. Freakery is a fantastic Grindcore release Big smile

LOLDid you know that the frontman is now a woman? Had a sexchange op.. and all. Bizarre stuff. Love that album. It�s such a filthy grindcore album. I guess I�ll have to make a grindcore appreciation thread sometime.

Yeah man, I heard about that. I hope people don't just pay attention to them because of the sex change because they play some of the best Grindcore around at the moment.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:04pm
Can't wait for the new PoS album. 

Hopefully we'll get some Tool and Opeth this year as well.

angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:27pm

Sigh is a great act. I haven�t listened to Imaginary Sonicscape yet, but it�s next on my list. I�m actually in the process of reviewing Scenario IV: Dread Dreams. I�ve simply started from an end with their discography.
Scenario IV: Dread Dreams is a fantastic album too, definitely their most underrated along with Gallows Gallery. Sigh can really do no wrong.

Oh, and I love your user picture thing. Freakery is a fantastic Grindcore release Big smile

LOLDid you know that the frontman is now a woman? Had a sexchange op.. and all. Bizarre stuff. Love that album. It�s such a filthy grindcore album. I guess I�ll have to make a grindcore appreciation thread sometime.
i am glad  too see fans of Sigh here. Myself being a  Sigh fan, i find Gallows Gallery realy great album. Hangman's Hymn is fenomenal, a masterpiece, awesome tracks like Finale: Hangman's Hymn/In Paradisum/Das Ende,Dies Irae/The Master Malice, Introitus/Kyrie.. Their new one is also astonishing though, one of the year's best so far 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsms810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:03am
Haha ive just come from another thread saying how much DT doesnt do it for me.... Now i come to this thread saying that prog metal is also my favourite genre... give me a bit of Opeth, Cynic, PoS or Porcupine Tree anyday
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:30am
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

i am glad  too see fans of Sigh here. Myself being a  Sigh fan, i find Gallows Gallery realy great album. Hangman's Hymn is fenomenal, a masterpiece, awesome tracks like Finale: Hangman's Hymn/In Paradisum/Das Ende,Dies Irae/The Master Malice, Introitus/Kyrie.. Their new one is also astonishing though, one of the year's best so far 

My favourite song off Hangman's Hymn is definitely Introitus/Kyrie. So much energy and such a kick ass guitar solo.
Irishmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishmetalhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 11:40am
First postBig smile
Absolutely love progressive metal, especially dream theater, opeth, porcupine tree and redemption. Have recently come across another awesome local band here in Ireland called dstributor as well

cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:59pm
This was recently uploaded to Inside Out Music's Youtube channel.

This was recently uploaded to Arjen Lucassen's Youtube channel.

Smile

Edited by cold103 - 08 Apr 2010 at 1:27pm
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 3:54am
Originally posted by bsms810 bsms810 wrote:

Haha ive just come from another thread saying how much DT doesnt do it for me.... Now i come to this thread saying that prog metal is also my favourite genre... give me a bit of Opeth, Cynic, PoS or Porcupine Tree anyday

Cynic own
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 4:46am
I love prog metal for the same reasons that I love prog rock: the complexitities, genre transgressions, and that it's typically different from other types of popular music - but then again, I've always thought that metal as such was more progressive than other genres of popular music. I mean the time changes and complexities have been there since the day of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and many extreme metal (and non-extreme metal bands) bands use completely unorthodox song structures. That is one of the reasons why I don't buy into the rigidity-of-meta- argument that I encounter in some prog rock circles. Also, how can an ever developing genre with so many subgenres as metal even be considered rigid?

Anyway.My favorite prog metal acts are the obvious ones: Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz and Queensr�che. In addition, I like a number of progressive extreme metal bands like Cynic, Atheist, Obscura, Death, Invocator and Pestilences "Spheres" and progressive power metal bands like Symphony X and Anubis Gate. There are also bands which are not always considered progressive metal bands as such, but who, I think, a worthy of the progressive tag - namely Iron Maiden with their changes of tempo, epic tracks, guitar harmonies and so on, and Mercyful Fate with their completely different approach to song structures and Coheed and Cambria (who are probably not even considered metal by many) with their conceptual lyrical universe.

Progressive metal has been derided as being pretentious and all technique and no heart, but, to be honest, what I like a bout it is the more cerebral approach to music and all the thought that's behind the music. I do find odd time signature and unusual chord progressions and the like inspiring and I love the fact that many progressive metal songs have so many different parts that listening to one song equals the experience of listening to a whole album in other genres.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:20pm
Time Sig . . .

I'm there with you on all accounts, and more.  Except for that era of Pestilence Tongue But you know, I'll
probably get the 2 albums sometime in the future just to have those guys that pushed the envelope
long ago.
By the way, nice "quote" from Death on your sig Thumbs Up.  (You may like my story on how I got into Metal...
maybe).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 16 Apr 2010 at 3:21pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:59am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

I'm there with you on all accounts, and more.  Except for that era of Pestilence Tongue But you know, I'll
probably get the 2 albums sometime in the future just to have those guys that pushed the envelope
long ago.

I love "Spheres" - it's so weird and jazzy. I love their other work, too (although I didn't dig their latest album immediately, but after a year or so, I'm starting to appreciate it), but I don't think they're as progressive as "Spheres". Well, maybe "Testinomy of the Ancients" could be considered kind of progressive with its use of keyboards and all the instrumental interludes and all that.
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsms810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

Can't wait for the new PoS album. 

Hopefully we'll get some Tool and Opeth this year as well.

Id bloomin love to see some new Opeth this year
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I love prog metal for the same reasons that I love prog rock: the complexitities, genre transgressions, and that it's typically different from other types of popular music - but then again, I've always thought that metal as such was more progressive than other genres of popular music. I mean the time changes and complexities have been there since the day of Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and many extreme metal (and non-extreme metal bands) bands use completely unorthodox song structures. That is one of the reasons why I don't buy into the rigidity-of-meta- argument that I encounter in some prog rock circles. Also, how can an ever developing genre with so many subgenres as metal even be considered rigid?

Anyway.My favorite prog metal acts are the obvious ones: Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz and Queensr�che. In addition, I like a number of progressive extreme metal bands like Cynic, Atheist, Obscura, Death, Invocator and Pestilences "Spheres" and progressive power metal bands like Symphony X and Anubis Gate. There are also bands which are not always considered progressive metal bands as such, but who, I think, a worthy of the progressive tag - namely Iron Maiden with their changes of tempo, epic tracks, guitar harmonies and so on, and Mercyful Fate with their completely different approach to song structures and Coheed and Cambria (who are probably not even considered metal by many) with their conceptual lyrical universe.

Progressive metal has been derided as being pretentious and all technique and no heart, but, to be honest, what I like a bout it is the more cerebral approach to music and all the thought that's behind the music. I do find odd time signature and unusual chord progressions and the like inspiring and I love the fact that many progressive metal songs have so many different parts that listening to one song equals the experience of listening to a whole album in other genres.

So very very well put and summarises my feelings towards Prog Metal precisely! Clap
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 11:48am
Originally posted by NJCat_11 NJCat_11 wrote:

One of my favorite bands that I learned of through PA is Psychotic Waltz.  Devon Graves, the lead vocalist, has the voice of Bruce Dickenson and plays the flute like Ian Anderson.  It's a perfect combination.

Reminds me of Mike Portnoy  >>> Rawks

Clap Great band. Into the Everflow is one of the greatest metal albums of all-time. Rawks
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 3:57pm
Just beginning with the whole prog metal thing at the moment. So just Dream Theater and its cousin, Liquid Tension Experiment for me. But I'm looking about for proressive power metal as some of it seemed very much to my taste. So hopefully, I will become a well educated fan of the genre over the coming months...Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 4:44pm
Odd as it may sound, I am not a big sound of 'traditional' prog-metal (i.e. in the DT mould), but rather of the more experimental bands - especially the instrumental ones. I have some problems with the typical singing style of traditional prog-metal bands, so I'd rather write vocals out of the equation altogether. 
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Odd as it may sound, I am not a big sound of 'traditional' prog-metal (i.e. in the DT mould), but rather of the more experimental bands - especially the instrumental ones. I have some problems with the typical singing style of traditional prog-metal bands, so I'd rather write vocals out of the equation altogether. 

Thats because you are so used to those dulcet tones back home! Big smile
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Just beginning with the whole prog metal thing at the moment. So just Dream Theater and its cousin, Liquid Tension Experiment for me. But I'm looking about for proressive power metal as some of it seemed very much to my taste. So hopefully, I will become a well educated fan of the genre over the coming months...Smile

One of my favorite progressive-metal bands is Pain of Salvation. If you want to check them out, here's one of my favorite videos of theirs. But beware- The visuals of the video are kind of intense.

Though, Symphony X may be more of your style than Pain of Salvation. Symphony X are progressive-power-metal. They're my favorite progressive-power-metal band. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic