MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Has anyone here heard the new album from Vanden Plas? Great stuff! I may do a review later today...

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/vanden-plas--the-seraphic-clockwork.aspx

Top album Jeff and nice review. Clap

Thanks Steve. Strangely enough, I only really got into Vanden Plas within the last few months. I'm sure glad I did, though. ApproveClap
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 1:21pm
*BUMP*

GET IT!! LOL

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 1:24pm
^ Amazing album. I ordered their debut the other day... Can't wait for it to arrive! Big smile

Edited by J-Man - 25 Jan 2011 at 1:24pm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 1:44pm
There was a period between 1996 and 2002 where I gobbled up anything Prog Metal related...Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Vanden Plas, Kamelot, Symphony X, Superior, Threshold, Zero Hour, Prototype, Enchant, Evergrey, Ayreon, Shadow Gallery, Planet X, LTE, Conception, Adagio, Ark, Artension, Dali's Dilemma, OSI, Eldritch, Mullmuzzler, Ice Age, Pain Of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Lemur Voice...I ate all that stuff up.

I must have burned myself out on it because I hardly ever reach for it these days...a few of those bands stuck...most did not...
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:34pm
I go in cycles (with metal, and really music in general).
For a long time I was off prog metal, feeling a lot of thrash and traditional stuff, (as well as DOOM).

But for a good while I've been listening to mainly progressive, and post, metal.
On that note: Psychotic Waltz is great! Been digging them recently.
I have A Social Grace and Into the Everflow. How do you guys feel about their other stuff?
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:37pm
I think I stopped listening to tons of prog metal at about the time Dream Theater put on the worst concert I've ever seen on Progressive Nation '09

Bigelf, Scale the Summit and ZPZ were all brilliant at that show, though
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think I stopped listening to tons of prog metal at about the time Dream Theater put on the worst concert I've ever seen on Progressive Nation '09

Bigelf, Scale the Summit and ZPZ were all brilliant at that show, though

Maybe I didn't miss out?
I still kick my friend for missing the Prog Nation show since it had DT and Opeth. It was 08 I believe though, they played with 3 and Between the Buried and Me.
And wow, that one thing killed the prog metal love eh?
A bit much don't ya think? Wink

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 02 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:47pm
Not just that, but around that time I was starting to get bored of the power-hair vibe that most prog metal has (IMO).  I still dig the stuff that's actually progressive, instead of emulating a band that peaked like 15 years ago
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 11:52pm
DT . . .

The Band that started the resurgents of Prog Metal, and then became the "Whipping Post" for Prog Metal.
Damed if you do, damned if you dont Disapprove. No wonder Portnoy needed a break and let some aggressions
out.

:dt:

Psychotic Waltz
:
Have all their CD's from the 1st printings and missed out on the Re-Issues w/Bonus Tracks.  Theyre
awesome too Thumbs Up.

Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

There was a period between 1996 and 2002 where I gobbled up anything Prog Metal related...Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Vanden Plas, Kamelot, Symphony X, Superior, Threshold, Zero Hour, Prototype, Enchant, Evergrey, Ayreon, Shadow Gallery, Planet X, LTE, Conception, Adagio, Ark, Artension, Dali's Dilemma, OSI, Eldritch, Mullmuzzler, Ice Age, Pain Of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Lemur Voice...I ate all that stuff up.

I must have burned myself out on it because I hardly ever reach for it these days...a few of those bands stuck...most did not...

. . . thats too bad,

Most of those bands are really great Smile.  That you mention Lemur Voice, Enchant and Prototype is awesome.
Vince and Kragen from Proto are friends, theyre working on the next CD and it will be a "Sci-Fi Concept" album,
and also trying to get their original Thrash Band "Psychosis" signed again Big smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 03 Feb 2011 at 12:00am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 2:44am

I like to listen to Progressive Metal and I own albums from Mekong Delta, Sieges Even, Elegy, Shadow Gallery, Rush, Labyrinth, and Fates Warning.

I would like to introduce you to some German bands:

House of Spirits (Split-up):

Secrecy:
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:54am
^

Good bands, not that I have played them much of late.

Now that you have reminded me I'll dig them out and give them a spin later! Cool
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:55am
Secrecy are not in the archives yet, I'll try and add them later as well.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 4:05am
My oh my Colt...you're post count has jumped in a devilish way!

And the only whipping I've given DT is their last 2 albums, and occasionally LaBrie.
I would love nothing more than Martin Lopez to replace Portnoy. Maybe put Russell Allen on vocals, you'd have the greatest prog metal band EVER

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 5:53am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

My oh my Colt...you're post count has jumped in a devilish way!

Lucifer has given his mark of approval indeed!  Wink
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 11:22am
Secrecy have now been added Wink

goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 4:26am
Jester's March is another band from Germany who already split-up. This is the song Into the Void from their album Beyond.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 4:33am
^

Nice!

I'll ask the Thrash Team to check them out first.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 7:42pm
In the Woods... have a song that I would categorize as progressive. Progression in music is the movement of chords in succession without repetition.

Metallica999 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallica999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 2:26pm
Dream Theater, Gojira, Epica. My favorite 3 progressive metal bands.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:48pm
Hmmm, I never really got into Gojira, any suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic