MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:38pm
Debut album from new German Progressive Band Thoughts Factory sounds promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gajQDu_Bg5E
Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2014 at 3:21pm
I love so much: Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment and Anglagard. Are very rich instrumentally speaking. Heart

But 
I noted the tips of you and I will search more about these bands. Wink
StargazerSlave View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StargazerSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:48am
Nice to see so much appreciation for this awesome genre! I absolutely love Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning, Queensryche, Cynic, Death, Atheist, Arch/Matheos, Tool, Watchtower, and other awesome progressive/technical bands.

Edited by StargazerSlave - 21 Nov 2014 at 10:51am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 11:39am
^I can recommend both Spiral Architect, Twisted Into Form and Psychotic Waltz then.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StargazerSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 11:47am
I already love A Skeptic's Universe, especially considering Norberg is kind of the Jaco of Norwegian metal. I will look forward to hearing the other two.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 12:00pm
Twisted Into Form is basically Spiral Architect in a new incarnation while Psychotic Waltz play a rather original type of psychadelic tinged progressive metal. Especially their second album is a masterpiece to my ears.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
And If you like Tool, I would recommend Porcupine Tree. Smile 

Tool and Porcupine Tree are two of my favorite bands.

Edited by Unitron - 30 Sep 2016 at 5:25pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 4:22pm
Prog Metal started with Rush. Feel free to discuss your opinions. But just know that you are wrong if you think otherwise Tongue
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StargazerSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 5:29pm
I will check those albums/bands out for sure. I actually have four complete 5+ album CD collections of a band and Rush is one of the four.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 2:10am
Riverside is working on a new album. It will be called Love, Fear and the Time Machine (a strange name for a Riverside album I dare say). The album is (apparently) due in September.

I'm looking forward to this!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:12am
Wow, how have I missed out on this band for so long. Leprous is a band I first came across a few years back on Prog Archives but never really checked them out until now. What an excellent band! going to order Coal and a new album on the way soon I see.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 11:39am
Kingcrow, Subsignal and Symphony X have all announced new albums this year!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:51am
nobody's posted here in more than 2 years, says it all, prog-metal is not that popular metal subgenre, but I kinda knew that :)))

a list of worthy albums from 2016 and 2017:

Votum - Ktonik (2016)
Astronoid - Air (2016)
Hemina - Venus (2016)
Caligula's Horse - In Contact (2017)
Collapse - The Sleep In Me (2017)
Distant Dream - It All Starts From Pieces (2017)
Disperse - Foreword (2017)
Section A - Wall Of Silence (2016)
Soen - Lykaia (2017) - not as good as Tellurian, but still solid work. 
Headspace - All That You Fear Is Gone (2016)
Mother Of Millions - Sigma (2017) - an album I've listened quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, it's prog-rock with some metal touches, very good vocals. 

Not exactly prog metal but Thank You Scientist - Stranger Heads Prevail (2016) is one of the best albums I've listened to lately. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 2:26pm
Listening again to the new mini-album by shredding Greek prog metal artist Oh

Prog metal used to be the metal genre I listened most to. I have bloody hundreds of prog metal albums, most I rarely listen to these days. The problem is, it all seemed to get a bit samey (yes I know the accusation may be ironic given I'm the lead for the metalcore subs LOL). For a progressive kick, I tend to listen more to avant-garde metal these days, or mathcore. That's not to say there's not still great prog metal out there - I guess I just became a bit jaded about hunting it down.

Anyway, back on topic. If you like prog metal, listen to the new album from Oh. You can stream it on Bandcamp

The artist is called Olivia Hadjiioannou and even listening to a recording of how to pronounce it on her home page, I still can't do it. Just as well she uses a nickname. But this music is superb. The album is instrumental, with vocals used as an additional instrument. Check out her videos - the girl certainly can sing, but elects not to on this album.

A few times of year an album comes along which piques your interest in a scene. Metallia is one of those for me. 

Any other recent prog metal releases I've missed that I should be listening to?

Edited by Bosh66 - 05 Aug 2018 at 2:29pm
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 4:54am
September & October we'll have new albums from Riverside and Haken. 
Can't wait! Big smile
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 5:44am
Seeing Riverside shortly. They cancelled their last gig I had tickets to just as I arrived at the venue.

And I do like a big of Haken :-)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 8:39am
Somehow I missed that 1) Vintersorg left Borknagar and 2) They released a new album (just added it). Going to have to check this one out. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 2:15am
This here's a damn fine slice of prog metal from this year:

Growled vocal but musically less death metal than early Opeth, with some psych elements in there as well. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image