MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EARLY Progressive Metal!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EARLY Progressive Metal!
    Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 5:43pm
Hey everyone! Smile

I'm currently seeking some obscure early progressive metal recommendations. Anything pre-'94 or '95 is welcome! I'd prefer to see more recommendations from the 80's, but I'm open to anything through the early 90's. I'm pretty well-versed in progressive metal, but I have noticed that there are tons of forgotten gems from this era - I'm sure I haven't heard them all! 

Thanks - and just remember, keep it obscure! I already know Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Queensryche, Psychotic Waltz, etc. Big smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 5:55pm
Watch Tower... if they're obscure enough. Lethal are another early kind of progressive power metal act. The Japanese act Vigilante might also be relevant.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 3:25am
Definitely get a hold of the two Realm albums: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/realm.aspx?ac=realm
I�ve
written reviews of both albums that you can read on the artist page. You�ll find samples there too.

I�m thinking Sieges Even and Heir Apparent too.

Lethal was a great suggestion KimClap

...oh and Crimson Glory of course.

Generally I think you�ll find that most progressive metal acts from the eighties are rather progressive US power metal or technical thrash metal than what most people perceive as progressive metal today.

Edited by UMUR - 25 Sep 2011 at 3:53am
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 3:28am
Kings X???? maybe not so obscure but Early and original.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Watch Tower... if they're obscure enough. Lethal are another early kind of progressive power metal act. The Japanese act Vigilante might also be relevant.

Some more info and suggestions:

Watch Tower: progressive thrashy metal with high pitched vocals and mind-bogglingly odd time signatures. Their debut "Energetic Disassembly" is from 1985 while their second and, so far, last album "Control and Resistance" is from 1989.

Lethal: power metal with powerful, acrobatic, high pitched operatic vocals - there is a general epic feel to it, and they make use of odd time signature every now and then. I'd definitely recommend "Programmed" from 1991.

Vigilante: in the same vein as Fates Warning with a lot of guitar harmonies and heroically soaring vocals. They are a more recent band, but I guess that they count as obscure. I have "Edge of Time" from 1999 and I would definitely also recommend that.

Legend (US): Their 1979-album "�f the Fj�rds" has been described as one of the very earliest progressive metal releases, so that might be worth a listen, too.

Royal Hunt: started out in 1988 and has released a whole bunch of albums - their style is progressive melodic power metal.

Unleashed Power: progressive thrash metal - they were mostly active in the 90s and released "Unleashed Power" in 1994 (so, I guess they do kind of qualify for mention in this thread) and "Mindfailure" in 1997.

And a bunch of acts that I haven't heard but definitely want to check out myself:

Fort�: Now this is a bit of a long shot, because I have not heard this album for ages, but I seem to remember the debut by American thrashers Fort�, "Stranger than Fiction" as being somewhat progressive - it's from 1992.

Prime Time: another shot in the dark, because I have never head them, but their first two albums, "The Unknown" and "The Miracle", are sometimes described as progressive power metal. They were active in the late 90s, so not exactly early prog metal, but definitely obscure.

Lob of Lemmings: their only album "Just Human" from 1993 is supposed to be progressive thrash metal.

Carisma: described as progressive melodic metal, they released "In a Moonland" in 1992 and "1825" in 1996.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 2:53am
All the following bands released "progressive" albums in the first years of the 90's.

Most are very obscure but you may have heard of 3-4 of them.

Have fun!

Pan Ram
Thought Industry
Imperium (Netherlands)
The Last Things
Mayfair (Austria)
Xerxes
Vauxdvihl
Apocalypse (Michigan, USA)
Cherub (Germany)
Ivanhoe
House Of Spirits
Mercury Rising
Sagittarius (Norway)
Soul Cages

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 4:32pm
Thanks for the recommendations everybody! Smile There are quite a few here that I've never heard - will check them out!

@ Steve - I've actually only heard (and enjoyed) the music from The Last Things and Mercury Rising from your list. Any recommended starting point?
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 4:29am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Pan Ram
Thought Industry - Songs For Insects 1992
Imperium (Netherlands)
The Last Things
Mayfair (Austria)
Xerxes
Vauxdvihl - To Dimension Logic 1994
Apocalypse (Michigan, USA)
Cherub (Germany)
Ivanhoe - Visions...And Reality 1994
House Of Spirits
Mercury Rising
Sagittarius (Norway)
Soul Cages - Soul Cages 1994

I've highlighted my particular favourites.

I'd start with their debut's and then work through their catalogue if they interest you.

Have fun and enjoy! Big smile
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Thought Industry

YES.  Seconded.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 9:22am
These japanese band, Vigilante, is very good! Just check the straming here on MMA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image