MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Rock - WE NEED YOUR HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Rock - WE NEED YOUR HELP
    Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 7:06pm
As many of you may have noticed we have welcomed a new sub-genre into the MMA family of metal - Hard Rock! As many of the artists here on MMA filed under various sub-genres (most notable Alt. and Proto metal) would be a much better fit in Hard Rock, the collaborator teams would like to implore the members of MMA to help us out. 
So, if you know of or see an artist on MMA that you think would fit better in Hard Rock, please post in this thread! Big smile

NOTE: This thread is NOT for suggestions; please post those in the suggestions forum found here.

Also, the Hard Rock genre page can be found here.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:19pm

"Nevermind" is hard rock?  There are people that will kill for that, if they don't succumb to endless laughter first. What was wrong with Alternative metal?

Also, "Moving Pictures" hard rock?  Way too refined for that. Don't agree at all.

Censored
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

Also, "Moving Pictures" hard rock?  Way too refined for that. Don't agree at all.

Censored

It's there because it isn't remotely metal.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Censored

Then it should be marked non-metal. Or is Hard Rock the bin of the site?
Seriously, on a Metal site with 20 sub-genres, how can Nirvana and Rush be in the same place? That's absurd.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 2:50am

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Censored

Then it should be marked non-metal. Or is Hard Rock the bin of the site?
Seriously, on a Metal site with 20 sub-genres, how can Nirvana and Rush be in the same place? That's absurd.

Karl, the site is very much in its infancy.

We are trying to ensure this site grows into an archive ( a proper archive - at this point I often suggest people look up the meaning) 

There will always be inconsistencies and controversies in genre placements. 

There are hundreds that stand out a mile at PA, for example Haken a HUGE PROG METAL band sit in Heavy Prog Confused

The Hard Rock genre has only been in place a few days and we are still formulating the rules and guidelines for placement. This may mean that some bands are moved in or even moved out again.

Please bear with us during this stage but continue to alert or question band or album additions that may need more thought.

....and no Hard Rock won't turn into a Crossover Wink

bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Karl, the site is very much in its infancy.
We are trying to ensure this site grows into an archive ( a proper archive - at this point I often suggest people look up the meaning)
There will always be inconsistencies and controversies in genre placements.

--> Yeah sure, that's why I went into this thread, to make it better Smile
I realize may have sounded a bit hard, but after all it's the hard rock place right

There are hundreds that stand out a mile at PA, for example Haken a HUGE PROG METAL band sit in Heavy Prog Confused
--> Don't tell me, but the Heavy team won't let go of them Confused

The Hard Rock genre has only been in place a few days and we are still formulating the rules and guidelines for placement. This may mean that some bands are moved in or even moved out again.

Please bear with us during this stage but continue to alert or question band or album additions that may need more thought.

--> I'll be gentle next time.

....and no Hard Rock won't turn into a Crossover Wink

--> I will suggest Bj�rk for hard rock Approve

Edited by bonnek - 07 Sep 2011 at 3:15am
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:44am

"Nevermind" is hard rock?  There are people that will kill for that, if they don't succumb to endless laughter first. What was wrong with Alternative metal?

Censored

I think Nirvana is definitely a borderline act. I suppose the biggest reason they're here is Bleach, but Nevermind and In Utero are seriously dancing on the fence of being "hard" enough or not. In Utero has some quite heavy elements, but I don't really hear anything that would make them fit into an actual metal category. They were never seriously considered for Alternative Metal, at least to my knowledge.

I must say I was surprised to see their addition, and if it was my decision, I'd probably have left Nirvana and Pearl Jam out. But they're here and I'm happily working on their discographies. Smile

Edited by Pekka - 07 Sep 2011 at 3:51am
<- Click on this!
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 4:11am

At least they don't fit in the history of hard rock, certainly not when looking from a historic perspective. Whitesnake and Aerosmith, that's what we called hard rock here in the early 90s.

Nirvana continued the punk of the Pixies and the Wipers, mixed with some proto-sludge of The Melvins (on Bleach especially), both styles being very anti-mainstream and nothing ado with the hard rock of their era.

They should be here for Bleach, could be here for Nevermind, but not in hard rock.They are Grunge, part of Alt Metal.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:03am
I always thought of grunge and hard rock to be similar in that most groups with these labels really do not share much of a common sound, aside from being guitar-based rock.  Some bands labelled grunge had more of a metal side to them (AIC, Soundgarden), while some don't sound much like metal at all or the bands were never associated with the metal scene.  Same goes for hard rock.  I thought of that tag to essentially be a substitute for being a heavy rock, and different bands achieve that heaviness by different means.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:04am

They are Grunge, part of Alt Metal.

I don't see it that way. Grunge is a pretty lousy genre tag with a wide variety of rock music held within. Of the "big four" Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were by far the heaviest, and thus they were added right when the site took off. Pearl Jam on the other hand is mostly a classic rock band and Nirvana was a punk rock band. It was the style of clothes and the location that pulled these bands under the same tag, not so much the music. I don't hear metal elements in PJ or Nirvana. By something of a stretch I can see them in hard rock, but that would require opening the can of worms called "define hard rock", and I'm not prepared to go there Tongue 

Ah, too late LOL

I agree that these bands don't fit the general idea I have of the genre called "hard rock", but they play rock music with a hard touch.

Edited by Pekka - 07 Sep 2011 at 9:08am
<- Click on this!
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:14am

Genre tags can be about more then just the music. Wasn't Punk rather a fashion then a style of music? There is as much difference betwee Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Damned and the Clash as between the 4 Grunge guys above, yet they're all punk.

I guess that clarifies the bigger part of my shock of seeing Nirvana in Hard Rock. A punk-rock subculture band between the mainstream acts of the dinosaur generation. It's so wrong, it's like re-writing history.

(Mind you, it's not that I don't like hardrock)

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:21am
Didn't Motorhead have strong associations with the punk scene back in their earlier years?
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:22am
Isn't newer Motley Crue more hard rock oriented?
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:24am

Genre tags can be about more then just the music. Wasn't Punk rather a fashion then a style of music? There is as much difference betwee Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Damned and the Clash as between the 4 Grunge guys above, yet they're all punk.

I guess that clarifies the bigger part of my shock of seeing Nirvana in Hard Rock. A punk-rock subculture band between the mainstream acts of the dinosaur generation. It's so wrong, it's like re-writing history.

(Mind you, it's not that I don't like hardrock)

Yep, I agree that they're all "grunge", but I don't agree with the "grunge is a part of alt metal" thing Wink Some grunge bands can easily be classified metal. Just because The Clash dabbled in reggae, I wouldn't put Sex Pistols in Reggae Archives, if this makes any sense Tongue

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Isn't newer Motley Crue more hard rock oriented?

I'd say perhaps even from Theatre of Pain onwards. With the exception of the self-titled.

Edited by Pekka - 07 Sep 2011 at 9:26am
<- Click on this!
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:59am
To my ears, "Grunge" is a recycled fusion of hard rock/heavy psych/metal/punk which was alternative to the mainstream of the day. Nirvana's Nevermind was the groundbreaking album that brought "Grunge" out of Seattle to the world. One of the most influential albums of the '90's and I would go as far to say all time. IMO, "Grunge" was a movement and also a sound and style of music.

Edited by cannon - 07 Sep 2011 at 10:00am
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:45pm

Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

--> Don't tell me, but the Heavy team won't let go of them Confused  I'll make sure they're moved with the new album Wink

bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 1:54am

Yeah, we got a mole in the heavy team now LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:39am
If this isn't hard rock, I do not what it is:

IMO, Pearl Jam is on the hard rock end of Grunge as Nirvana is more on the punk side.

I've looked up numerous definations/descriptions of "grunge", or as I prefer to call it , the "Seattle Sound". I'm wondering if anybody else has. I think some "metalheads" are hammers...everything looks like a nail.Wink

Is a few comments from one collab that hardly contributes to the site going sway the admin. I hope not.
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 11:10am
well i guess right now, anything that fits alternative rock is okay to be put in hard rock, and maybe later on if we already introduce Alternative Rock, then we'll rearrange all the bands. Probably the idea is to add as many bands as possible, which of course, is still in the close relation to that genre.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 1:59pm
I believe hard rock is as far as the expansion is ever going to go, I for one can't see the point in adding basic alt rock bands to a site that has never dealt with basic rock, be it alt or indie or anything with no connection with metal. 
<- Click on this!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic