MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neal Morse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neal Morse
    Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 9:47pm
I love Neal Morse, but I'm very surprised he's on this site.  He has only two albums labeled as progressive metal, but Sola Scriptura is really the only one with any metal influence.  Even that just has a few heavy sections, and I wouldn't call the whole album metal.  If 2 out of 17 studio albums are considered progressive metal because they have heavy sections, I really don't think that's enough for him to be on the site.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:42am
His inclusion is borderline but he was approved by the prog metal team. I'm not as familiar with ? as I am with Sola Scriptura, but that album definitely warrants his inclusion here. And he only needs one album that can be considered metal to be worthy of inclusion on MMA. We don't ignore artists just because most of their output isn't metal, as in Neal's case, that is what the Non-Metal tag is for.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 3:08pm
You're right I guess, but it does seem rather silly to have so many non-metal albums.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by E�rendil E�rendil wrote:

You're right I guess, but it does seem rather silly to have so many non-metal albums.

If an artist released 200 non-metal albums and one metal album, that's enough to warrant inclusion. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:40pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by E�rendil E�rendil wrote:

I love Neal Morse, but I'm very surprised he's on this site.  He has only two albums labeled as progressive metal, but Sola Scriptura is really the only one with any metal influence.  Even that just has a few heavy sections, and I wouldn't call the whole album metal.  If 2 out of 17 studio albums are considered progressive metal because they have heavy sections, I really don't think that's enough for him to be on the site.

And Porcupine Tree? fuhgettaboutit Wink
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 3:54pm
Then Buckethead should totally be on MMA.  And PA for that matter. Case and point for both:

But the powers in charge don't seem to think so.  Cry

And seen here, metal: Smile

Edited by E�rendil - 01 Sep 2011 at 3:59pm
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 6:48pm
Don't get in to Buckethead on PA - that's argument that's been going on since 2005 LOL
I'm not uber familiar with his material but I'm sure perhaps Trad. would be willing to adopt him - of what I heard he has a twinge of Satriani-esque solo guitarist/metal in him, with obviously more artsy experimentation. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 6:51pm
Yeh, not sure Buckethead has even been suggested. 

The problem I find with virtuoso guitarists, generally, is that they like to mix n match styles in such a way that they don't always have albums you can call collectively metal
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:07pm
Yeah.  But Buckethead has played on over 200 albums, and of the few I've listened to, a couple are consistently metal.

And wikipedia says:

His music spans such diverse areas as progressive metalfunkbluesjazzbluegrassambient, and avant-garde music.

And somehow Steve Vai is on here and PA but not him.  

Oh well...
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:11pm
Judging from what I did hear from Buckethead, he'd fit more avant-garde than traditional metal.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:51pm
Someone well-versed in his discography would have to post a suggestion thread with relevant samples.
IMPF View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:07pm

Edited by IMPF - 13 Feb 2019 at 5:55pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:08pm
I disagree, but I also don't think Neal Morse belongs here Tongue
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by IMPF IMPF wrote:

If Neal Morse should be on here because of one heavy-ish album, than IQ, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic should be on here too.
I know Transatlantic was brought up some time ago and they were turned down. I believe it's the same for SB too.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Originally posted by IMPF IMPF wrote:

If Neal Morse should be on here because of one heavy-ish album, than IQ, Spock's Beard and Transatlantic should be on here too.
I know Transatlantic was brought up some time ago and they were turned down. I believe it's the same for SB too.

Both Transatlantic and SB were rejected by the PMT.

The issue with the argument presented by IMPF is that none of these bands (at least in my opinion) have ever released a full-blown prog metal album. They all have bits of metal scattered throughout a few albums, but no albums can comfortably be considered metal as a whole. Neal Morse, on the other hand, has released 2 albums with considerable metal influences, and has been agreed by the Prog Metal Team to be added to the site.

Since artists can be added on the basis of one or two releases, I think his addition is completely legitimate.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 12:16am
^Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic