Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

:-) Gotta love Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: :-) Gotta love Zappa
    Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 3:11pm
Take a listen around the 6 minute mark for an explanation to why Zappa wrote the song
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 5:18pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 5:20pm
Zappa was such a genius! ClapLOL
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:39pm
Zappa could get away with anything
GLAM METAL!
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:04pm
Frank was the man.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:09pm
Yeap I�m a ZappaholicBig smile

Edited by UMUR - 24 Oct 2011 at 3:09pm
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:20pm
Me too, big time. My girl is an even bigger Zappaphile than I am. She wants to have sex with his corpse, which is pretty metal, but Shocked
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:34pm
^LOLNecrophilia, yup that�s as metal as it getsWinkBig smile
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 1:08pm
my dad played some zappa earlier this year and it didn't sound like I thought the music would
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 2:07pm
Nope and you´ll be surprised how different all his albums are. Once you think you understand what he is trying to do, he makes a left turn.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 6:20pm

I'm definately that thing Mr Zappa is holding. Without doubt Frank was one of the THE most important musically geniuses ever to set foot on this good Earth. I have listened to every one of his album (excepting some of the newer posthumous releases) and i am constantly in awe of his diversity and influence in the musical world. Only drawback is i would go crazy listening to his heaviness all the time and have to retreat to Milli Vanilli once and a while

500 × 332 - lifelounge.com.au
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 6:21pm
Drat! Why don't the freeekin pics go every time!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 11:43pm
I think I own most of his releases. Some on both CD and LP as they are in some cases different from each other. Sleep Dirt is probably the best example or the different mixes of Hot Rats.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:58am
Never owned the LPS. I take solice in the fact that everything Frank put down on tape will be released eventually whether it's any good or not. One of my missing pieces was UNCLE MEAT which i just got and i have to say it's one of the best! I hate the added tracks though. Ruins the whole flow of the original
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 10:14am
Uncle Meat is one of the CDs that features quite a different mix from the LP and yeah those added tracks are crap and unnecessary.
^So if you haven´t heard the vinyl version of Sleep Dirt, you´ve never heard the album without the added vocals?

It´s a much better album as instrumental music than with those vocals IMO.

Edited by UMUR - 13 Dec 2013 at 10:16am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 12:39pm
I have not and i have to say that the vocals have generally IMO the weakest part of most ZAPPA albums. No i never got into LPs. I used to have a good collection without even owning a turntable. I hate it when they alter the original album. I don't mind bonus tracks but why do they have to change the order?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 12:44pm
BTW would either Frank or Dweezil qualify to be included in these here achives? Dweezil at least is more involved in hard rock and metal. Frank had some hard rock stuff in the 80s but admittedly a small amount compared to the bulk of experimental and jazz-fusion stuff
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 2:26pm
I don´t really think Frank would fit here even though he has the odd hard rock track here and there in his disco (there are actually some seriously hard rocking tracks on some of his albums. My favorite is the probably forgotten gem from 200 Motels: "Magic Fingers"). I don´t really know Dweezil´s solo albums. Heard one once and I remember it to be in the soft end of the hard rock spectrum, but it´s been so long, so I might be wrong.

Edited by UMUR - 13 Dec 2013 at 2:27pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 2:41pm
Well Dweezil is a serious shredder having taken his lessons of Steve Vai. I actually haven't heard his solo albums. I still haven't heard all of Franks! Guess this site can live without them. 200 Motels is one of the only older albums i still don't have. Other than that i have heard all his stuff that he released during his life. I am way behind with all the posthumous releases only because my musical tastes are too varied for my own good and as much as i try i only get a fraction heard of what i would like to!
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 3:06pm
I wanna check his music out. where should I start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic