6 [16.22%]
13 [35.14%]
18 [48.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 4:36pm
:O I thought only Americans could be fat!

Still, good news man : D

As a smoker, how much would you say you enjoy it? I mean most smokers I know love it, but almost as many also want to quit constantly (or say they should) and often feel bad about doing it. I've always wondered how much is enjoyment/habit. Or maybe they are the same?

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 14 Dec 2011 at 4:36pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:59am
I enjoy smoking if I don�t smoke too much. Smoking too much/too many is a habit more than a pleasure. Smoking few can be a pleasure. The problem with smoking is that it�s only really a pleasure if you are addicted (the nicotine extinquising the burning want in your chest). So to get any pleasure out of it you do have to smoke everyday, or at least often. If too long pass between smokes, they actually taste bad and you get a dizzy feeling instead of a relaxing one.

Well that�s my take on it.

For me personally there is a health issue involved too because I have astma. I usually don�t have to take medication unless I�m involved in heavy physical actitivy but in the periods where I smoke I have to take medicine everyday. So me stopping is of course a no brainer, but bad periods or episodes in my life often lures me back into the habit. Spine like a worm I guessLOL
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 1:24am
I see.
Yeah, some good friends of mine smoke like chimneys and have both expressed how they kind of hate it, but also love it though I questioned if they just need it. They were kinda bums as well, really they owe me a decent bit from all the times I've bought them a pack. Felt bad about that but I've seen em pick up 2 or 3 pieces laying around and try to salvage a cig from it!   :( :(
Hey no shame man, I'd imagine when things are rough it must be easy to fall back on it.
Been tempted but I was afraid it would feel good, then it may be a problem.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 2:08am
The thing is it doesn�t really feel that good to begin with, but as most people start when they are young I guess it�s the "forbidden" element that tickles a lot of people.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:35pm
That certainly plays a large part

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 7:04am
I have nothing but negative things to say about them to be honest, I keep that to myself for the most part in a non preaching way however when I had my own car my friends couldn't smoke in it, and whenever anyone is around at my house they can't smoke except in the one designated room.  I don't give them crap for it, but they just have to go outside or wait.

I know I'm a dick for being strict... but it doesn't stop me, I get chest infections so damn easily and my parents chain smoked at me my whole childhood so I'm already pretty far down the cancer/heart disease path as it is, no need to add any fuel to the fire.

I find that most smokers in the UK are used to having to go outside to smoke in buildings and being banned from smoking in Halls Of Residence and Taxis that no one really has a problem with my approach.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:16am
Still not smoking. I got through New Years eve without thinking too much about it. I have something like this thing and it helps when the urge gets bad:

I�m actually a bit surprised at how easy it has been this time compared to other times I�ve stopped smoking.

Edited by UMUR - 02 Jan 2012 at 9:17am
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:31am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Still not smoking. I got through New Years eve without thinking too much about it. I have something like this thing and it helps when the urge gets bad:

I�m actually a bit surprised at how easy it has been this time compared to other times I�ve stopped smoking.

Clap
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:59am
No, never tried it, never will. It is just way too bad for your health
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 2:14am
Fell into the trap again around Christmas last year Unhappy. As always the first half year is like being in love again, and then it just becomes a tiresome habit, and it´s beginning to seriously affect my breathing and well being, so I guess there´s only one way out of it. I have to stop again.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 2:32am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Fell into the trap again around Christmas last year Unhappy. As always the first half year is like being in love again, and then it just becomes a tiresome habit, and it´s beginning to seriously affect my breathing and well being, so I guess there´s only one way out of it. I have to stop again.

Do yourself a favor and try to stop,bro Smile

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 10:15am
Stop only if you feel like it'll make your life better. I'm done with "you'll die sooner if you smoke blah blah". I don't care. I don't really know what shit I already have fucked up in my body so... well, I don't smoke personally for two reasons - it's hella pricey and I don't take it very well. But if it made me feel good, I'd do it.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 2:11pm
Smoked fairly heavily for 30 years. I quit so many times. Can't remember who said, "stopping smoking is easy, I've done it loads of times", but he was right.

For the last 18 months I've been using these electronic cigarettes. They don't give you the same kick but they stop the craving. Not had a fag in all that time. So I'm still addicted to nicotine, but I can breathe again and won't give myself cancer (assuming the damage hasn't already been done of course!).

So no I don't mind people smoking. I'd be a hypocrite if I did. A well shitty addiction though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Stop only if you feel like it'll make your life better. I'm done with "you'll die sooner if you smoke blah blah". I don't care. I don't really know what shit I already have fucked up in my body so... well, I don't smoke personally for two reasons - it's hella pricey and I don't take it very well. But if it made me feel good, I'd do it.

Clap

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:13pm
Hey you lung polluters! I have never been a smoker per se but i have been one of those bums at many a party who smokes once a few drinks have fallen down my gullet. I have always enjoyed smoking one or two when sufficiently liquored up but once i'm sober it disgusts me. Luckily i don't have the addict gene or whatever causes one to become addicted. I also have the privilege of having studied biology for years and am acutely aware of the damage smoking tobacco can cause. Did you know for example that tobacco naturally contains radioiactive isotopes of carbon that it picks up from the soil? That means you are slowly irradiating yourself. It must be stated that cigarette companies are quite aware of this addiction and add gazillions of chemicals to many brands simply to keep you addicted longer. There are chemical free varieties of course but as i stated the tobacco plant inherently contains toxins that cause long lasting damage. I have ceased my use even at the most intoxicated moments because i am regaining my singing voice after being dormant for several years. Using music as my creative outlet has helped me get my lazy ass back on a health kick. I have many friends using the e-cigarettes and even though they can hardly claim to be healthful they are certainly a lesser of the evils and can help eliminate the worst lung damage. I also have the experience of having one grandfather die of emphysema and another from lung cancer both from smoking. Watching their demise is a huge motivating factor in avoiding it all together these days. It is an insidiously horrible practice that doesn't really hit you until later. It is never too late to quit though. Studies have shown that just simply quitting will allow your body to heal itself in miraculous ways.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy<b><u> siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hey you lung polluters! I have never been a smoker per se but i have been one of those bums at many a party who smokes once a few drinks have fallen down my gullet. I have always enjoyed smoking one or two when sufficiently liquored up but once i'm sober it disgusts me.
Luckily i don't have the addict gene or whatever causes one to become addicted. I also have the privilege of having studied biology for years and am acutely aware of the damage smoking tobacco can cause. Did you know for example that tobacco naturally contains radioiactive isotopes of carbon that it picks up from the soil? That means you are slowly irradiating yourself. It must be stated that cigarette companies are quite aware of this addiction and add gazillions of chemicals to many brands simply to keep you addicted longer. There are chemical free varieties of course but as i stated the tobacco plant inherently contains toxins that cause long lasting damage. I have ceased my use even at the most intoxicated moments because i am regaining my singing voice after being dormant for several years. Using music as my creative outlet has helped me get my lazy ass back on a health kick. I have many friends using the e-cigarettes and even though they can hardly claim to be healthful they are certainly a lesser of the evils and can help eliminate the worst lung damage. I also have the experience of having one grandfather die of emphysema and another from lung cancer both from smoking. Watching their demise is a huge motivating factor in avoiding it all together these days. It is an insidiously horrible practice that doesn't really hit you until later. It is never too late to quit though. Studies have shown that just simply quitting will allow your body to heal itself in miraculous ways.

You'd be surprised how much drinking can fuCensored with you.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 11:09pm
Not only would i not be surprised but astounded by reports of incidents i performed while intoxicated!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Not only would i not be surprised but astounded by reports of incidents i performed while intoxicated!

Clap

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 2:29am
I just realized the thread said 'Cigarette Smoking', lol. Even so, only once in a blue moon(and to be honest I'm not even sure I'll do it anymore as I've felt way too shi**y at times on nicotine..)

Edited by musiclover60sn70s - 23 Sep 2014 at 2:32am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 2:36am
Originally posted by musiclover60sn70s musiclover60sn70s wrote:

I just realized the thread said 'Cigarette Smoking', lol. Even so, only once in a blue moon(and to be honest I'm not even sure I'll do it anymore as I've felt way too shi**y at times on nicotine..)

That's what it does to you.It's good that you are thinking of not smoking again Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic