Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [85.11%]
3 [6.38%]
4 [8.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple question... Deep Purple.
    Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:26pm
help settle a dining room table debate at the AR..err... .METAL mansion..

thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:24pm
I think they belong here, because they were instrumental in forming the metal genre. However, as I said in another thread, if a new band came along that sounded just like them, I would vote for exclusion, on the grounds that genre classifications have changed over the years and what was considered metal in 1971 is now only hard (and not that hard) rock.
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I think they belong here, because they were instrumental in forming the metal genre. However, as I said in another thread, if a new band came along that sounded just like them, I would vote for exclusion, on the grounds that genre classifications have changed over the years and what was considered metal in 1971 is now only hard (and not that hard) rock.

Exactly!  That should be the policy.  Clap
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:31pm
Most modern bands that sound like Deep Purple or Uriah Heep are considered heavy progressive rock rather than metal, and rightly so. One example is the Italian band Wicked Minds, which would definitely be misplaced here. As Thellama pointed out, something like "Highway Star" or "Fireball" sounded VERY heavy in the early Seventies, but now it would sound rather tame in comparison to all the extreme metal stuff. 
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 3:58am
Originally posted by NJCat_11 NJCat_11 wrote:

Exactly!  That should be the policy.  Clap

Indeed +1
Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Originally posted by NJCat_11 NJCat_11 wrote:

Exactly!� That should be the policy.� Clap

Indeed +1

And another one.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:47am
Proto, yup!
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Proto, yup!

Proto metal definitely. Rush should also be added here as proto metal.
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 9:16am
Deep Purple, Heep, Rush are all early forms of Heavy Metal IMO.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 9:37am

Definitely Deep Purple. They're heavy enough, as opposed to some of their contemporaries, and they used a lot of the complex incorporation of classical style playing into their music, which influenced metal a ton.

Sinkadotentree View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinkadotentree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

Deep Purple, Heep, Rush are all early forms of Heavy Metal IMO.
And early AEROSMITH("Rocks),CREAM,ZEPPELIN,SABBATH all  paved the way for JUDAS PREIST,VAN HALEN etc. So yeah Proto-Metal or forerunners and an important part of what Metal would become.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:59am
I say, sure 'cause they're metal related. Deep Purple I don't think are metal per say, but they are heavily involved in the development of the genre, definately.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 2:39am

well, I think they were pretty heavy for the seventies given that there was no hardcore, no grindcore, no extreme metal. A friend of mine would tell you that they played the "grindcore" of the seventies...

They created heavy metal together with Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, so I don't really understand why we question their presence here.

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 5:08pm
Yup, they belong on a metal site. Their role in the history of the genre is vital.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 5:34pm
Definitely. In proto-metal. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 6:45pm
Purple were hard rock, much like Zep or Heep I don't see those three as metalbands, but then again I can't picture a metal site not acknowledging these bands (and Atomic Rooster and High Tide etc....) on the site

Much like Steppenwolf.... not metal music..... but they coined the term.... this makes tghem unavoidable

Should Mountain, Cream and West, Brude & Laing be included as well in the pioneering rome they had??

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 2:52am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Much like Steppenwolf.... not metal music..... but they coined the term.... this makes tghem unavoidable

Should Mountain, Cream and West, Brude & Laing be included as well in the pioneering rome they had??

It's a common fallacy that Steppenwolf were the originators of the term;

It was either an unconfirmed journalist of 1967 who described Hendrix's music as "Heavy metal falling from the skies" (or something like that - like I say, it's unconfirmed, but I've heard this rumour many times, and there's no smoke without fire)

- or it was the album Hapshash and the Coloured Coat, featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids, released in 1967. The music isn't metal - not even close - but the band previously gave Hendrix his debut gig in the UK, played music that was undoubtedly heavy for the time, and went on to become a major root of metal music, influencing Sabbath, Purple, Zep, Blue Oyster Cult and Judas Priest.

I'd support Mountain. Cream - and probably The Doors and The Who - in proto - but would be a bit wary of too many hard rock acts in there; Bands like Free, Fuzzy Duck, Leafhound, Bakerloo, Quatermass, May Blitz, Sir Lord Baltimore et al are bound to come up for scrutiny, and while the "heavy" is indisputable, the "metal" is highly questionable.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:38am
I got one more >>> BLUE CHEER

But youy're right   "and while the "heavy" is indisputable, the "metal" is highly questionable."
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 8:10am
Indeed - Blue Cheer are often cited as metal pioneers - yet the music is a trashy, grungy kind of heavy blues/psych.

They did have the volume, I'll give them that... legend has it that they turned the air around them into something like lithium-flavoured candyfloss, and could be heard from 10 miles away - not sure if they ever made it to 11...  Pinch
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:40pm
Yes, deffinitely. While I'd say they're heavy rock rather than metal they certainly played a part in the development of the genre and highly influential to many metal bands to come.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic