MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The American Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Is the American empire crumbling?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:10am
Sorry Brian. I should of been more clear in regards to my statement, "Sometimes one's turning thier head is just as bad as the crime itself." I was implying the congress and the U.S. Financial Regulatory Commission.  IMO Wall St. has lobbied members of congress so heavily that there has been very little bills put to vote to become law so the Commission can implement action. Basically nothing has happened since these financial institutions have thrown the world into a economic crisis and I don't think nothing will happen in the immediate future. Many of these people should be charged with fraud IMO.

Our real estate market is booming. The average price of Canadian home resale prices are up 8.7% and the number of homes resold are up 10.8% from a year ago. The average price of a home in Canada is $372, 700. The average price of a home here in Victoria is $569, 900 and is higher in Vancouver and Toronto. Craziness! I've heard the real estate industry claim here in Victoria there is very little land available here for new home construction. BS. I see land everywhere. Not much different than oil speculators. Self-inflated to some degree IMO and no question, for the most part the market does dictate the price.

Our unemployment rate is at 7.4% and over the last year has grown 1.4%. Not huge but still growing and has reached its lowest point in two years.

Our banking system is considered one of the most efficient and safest in the world. We have three different schedules of chartered banks and "the big five" pull in enormous profits every year.

We pay more personal income tax than you guys, 2-10% more depending on what bracket one falls into. However, nothing compared to the most of western Europe.

Our parliament is off for the summer that's why I've been watching closely the debt ceiling debate and the GOP presidential nominee race. What do you think of the candidates from the GOP? As of right now I don't see anyone who will give Obama a run in 2012.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 5:15pm
Oh I see, still a valid point though. I was just saying the consumer did turn a massive blind eye to it all, or was woefully ignorant. But yes: Congress, Wall Street, Banks, regulators all deserve blame and I agree. No one learns a lesson if they get off without punishment? Well, I would love to see some people punished.
Nothing made me angrier than seeing the CEO's that almost ran the US economy into the ground, get bailed out and use a lot of that money on giving themselves bonuses.... Should've been forced to step down and these "golden parachutes" that reward those who fuck everyone over and ruin the company is ridiculous.

There was an interesting docudrama about the whole crisis, get this: The major banks only accepted the capital injections (handing money over them so they would lend it) by having the government promise they wouldn't tell em how to spend it. Surprise....they didn't lend much out and kept it for themselves.Angry
Better thank the gods I wasn't in charge. They would've either spent it as I said, or I'd nationalize them. Temporarily of course, but I would've in a heart beat and if they think I would've felt bad about it/over the public backlash. Nope LOL

As for the tax issue..not necessarily. Federal income tax the max is 35% but remember we are decentralized. There are also state income taxes, if they choose to do so.
New Jersey has a max of 10.75%  So in this state you could pay a max 45.75% in incomes taxes. Some cities also have their own, so when that is added on in New York City a top bracket person owes like 48 or 49%   I think that is pretty much in the European ball park right? Sweden is 60% not too far away! Oh, also there are property taxes and the sales tax, all this takes out of your income. Added up, us in the middle classes here in the states pay a lot of tax.

Ugh, the GOP is just the most disgraceful thing on Earth. I mean I don't like the Democrats at all but god those Republicans..... I'm not sure, at this moment the only one that I think has a legit good shot of beating Obama is Ron Paul. All the other candidates...they all have a chance but I only see Paul being the largest threat. Of course if the party is to divide at all it would help Obama.

It's all about the economy. If it picks up, Obama is pretty much good, if it doesn't or not enough to the public's satisfaction...he is toast.
What's sad is the GOP has not done a single thing since Jan 2009. Not one. They've made it painfully obvious. I think they don't want to help the country, they want everything to stay stagnant...so they can win. Others must feel the same way, they have been making it very clear these are their intentions. It's disgusting.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 16 Jul 2011 at 5:21pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 12:38pm
Yes, It's quite obvious that the U.S. is screwed... but hey, lets face it, the rest of the world is going down the pan too. Well, the U.K. is anyway. It used to be great in my town. Now all it's all just empty buildings, charity shops and pawns.
As a matter of fact, it has got so bad that even some of the charity shops and pawns had to close down. The pubs and clubs are desolate half the time when you go out. And in order to give a 'contemporary feel' to the place amidst all of this, all of the trees and benches were uprooted in the centre of town. Now all that you get is a better view of how grey and dead the place is. Not a pretty sight at all. Unhappy
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 7:47pm
From some brazilians comedians:

SolarLuna96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolarLuna96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:56pm
It is, however we have enough allies to keep us going for at least 50 more years
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by SolarLuna96 SolarLuna96 wrote:

It is, however we have enough allies to keep us going for at least 50 more years

and then .........

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 1:20pm
but what if one of the larg cictys like NY decides that maybe we want to be on our own, like a city state, we are like seperate from the rest of the country why should we care about people from Ontario ar getting their paychecks.

i think someday the trouble will come from the inside a state who is tired of being in the U(S) of A but would rather be a self govourning state, that could spark new civil uproars and wars....
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 1:40am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

The U.S.A. has a huge debt/deficit, high unemployement, fighting three wars, many companies out sourcing jobs and moving abroad for cheaper labour, factories and industries closing down due to not being competative, mass illegal immigration especially from Mexico, the ever increasing gap between rich and the rest, the ineffectiveness of the federal government(congress), the lobby of special interest groups, profits over people(greed, Wall St., etc.) and other factors. Most of these factors have contributed to the fall of many empires through history. Do you think the American empire is crumbling?

You do know that this has dramatically decreased, right? Stern Smile 
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 9:41am
Cannon has been seen here since 2011 or 2012, so I´m not sure you´ll get an answer out of him LOL
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 10:50am
What we are seeing is the failure and endgame for capitalism that has run out of fuel. It thrives like a virus needing new resourses and new cheap labor to constantly and exponentially expand. It's like a star that has run out of fuel and becomes a super nova. We are now experiencing the point where everything is hyper exaggerated and bubbles appear in every economic nook and cranny. I truly believe (and hope) the capitalist countries adopt some of the social democratic principles of Scandinavia and Singapore, the frugality of Bhutan and the innovation in renewable energy like in Germany. Unfortunately we still have a worldwide situation where the banks and petrol industries have a stranglehold on world economies but that is slowly unraveling. The trick is to survive after the crash. One of the reasons i go to the Burning Man event is because it teaches radical self survival in a gift economy mentality.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Cannon has been seen here since 2011 or 2012, so I´m not sure you´ll get an answer out of him LOL

I probably won't get an answer from him but really anyone can reply to this Wink

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 20 Sep 2014 at 11:46am

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 11:48am
old thread

America is still right fucked, and they are taking Canada with them (we currently have an evangelical wanna-be-dictator tea partier in power, who does literally anything the US, China or Israel wants him to)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

old thread

America is still right fucked, and they are taking Canada with them (we currently have an evangelical wanna-be-dictator tea partier in power, who does literally anything the US, China or Israel wants him to)

Really?

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 11:54am
Yep.  this is a good read if you're interested.

Although I see it hasn't been updated since he signed a backdoor deal with China that will let their corporations sue us if our environmental regulations (what few there are left) get in the way of their profit margins.  Without taking it to parliament.  Which is effective for 31 years and no opportunity to back out of it.  Good ol' Canada.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:18pm
Oh yes I'm interested since I am a student of Political Science too LOL

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:31pm
I'm so tired of politics man, that's just screwed here in Europe so much. You guys are in a deep shit of its own but at least there's just three of you. There's 46 countries in Europe - each and every one of them with their own language, traditions, pride, and fair share of idiots. Dependent not only from China, but also Russian "Empire" and USA. Add global crisis, Ukrainian crisis, war in Syria (Asad's backed by Putin), crumbling Euro zone and so on, I'm done.

Why can't you guys be an example for Europe, why? Oh I know, Christianity LOL Our common tragedy.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:47pm
I would say blind ideologies in general, not just christianity
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

I'm so tired of politics man, that's just screwed here in Europe so much. You guys are in a deep shit of its own but at least there's just three of you. There's 46 countries in Europe - each and every one of them with their own language, traditions, pride, and fair share of idiots. Dependent not only from China, but also Russian "Empire" and USA. Add global crisis, Ukrainian crisis, war in Syria (Asad's backed by Putin), crumbling Euro zone and so on, I'm done.

Why can't you guys be an example for Europe, why? Oh I know, Christianity LOL Our common tragedy.

Europe has the best music festivals so take solace in that Beer

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I would say blind ideologies in general, not just christianity

Okay, you have a point. But you know that by Christianity I mean mostly Roman Catholicism. Protestant rites have actually contributed to development of modern secular and highly civilized societies like the one in Sweden or Netherlands. It's mostly because they were Catholicism"updated" to (then) modern standards. So, I think blind ideologies are those that hamper the evolution of thought on a social level. And Catholicism, along with Orthodox Christianity, Islam, Judaism and state religions like the one in North Korea and Russia are obsolete and harmful, as they're less and less compatible with contemporary ethics.

I'm sorry, I know nobody's asked me to elaborate. What a damn windbag I am. Besides. it's a thread about the US, not religion. But seriously how can someone think of USA without taking religion into account? Okay, I shut up already.

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Europe has the best music festivals so take solace in that Beer

You're right, there's no point in being bitter.

Edited by bartosso - 20 Sep 2014 at 7:43pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 8:01pm

I'm sorry, I know nobody's asked me to elaborate. What a damn windbag I am. Besides. it's a thread about the US, not religion. But seriously how can someone think of USA without taking religion into account? Okay, I shut up already.

No, it's ok, and I agree with you Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic