MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is a deal breaker in metal for you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What metal elements bother you the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.70%]
1 [3.70%]
11 [40.74%]
3 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [14.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a deal breaker in metal for you?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 9:07pm
This is a list of some of what I seem to think are some of the things that annoy metalheads the most. I would bet these are common enough that one of these bothers you the most when listening to that one piece of crap album you can't stand.

Vote and back it up with some explanations! I'll not vote until some others do it, just cause I do that a lot.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 9:20pm
I voted for gratuitous soloing.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:20pm
I can stand almost anything in metal...except pig squeals. They annoy the crap out of me, and I refuse to listen to anything with them.

The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:35pm
hmmmm of course most of these can be bad depending on how its used/how blatant

But my vote has to be pig squeals.
I can tolerate a lot but that is honestly a deal breaker. Even IF I was liking the music that would make me turn it off instantly. Fuckin pig squeals.

Drum Machines may be #2. Again, depending on how bad it may range from kind of annoying to  I can't stand it.

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I voted for gratuitous soloing.

Same here.  The odd solo is fine, but every song doesn't call for one.

That's my choice from the list, but I'd say the vocalist in general is often more of a deal breaker.  Be confident in your voice, but don't try to push it too far or not at all.  There are both melodic and growl-based vocalists that this could apply to.

Also bands that don't strive to have a sound of their own.  You don't need to break new ground, but don't follow the latest trends or settle for reusing cliches.

Edited by Stooge - 08 Jul 2011 at 11:55pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:23am
There is several up there worth a vote, but I had to go for...

Pig

The intros/transitions option is a close second though.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 2:04am
Much as I love technicality.....there can be too much for it's own good.

I'm looking at you Meshuggah! Also every techdeath band LOL

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 3:10am
I obviously went with pig squealing, which is probably the most annoying thing ever to me. But here are some comments on all the other options:

Cheesy synths (or synths with weird instruments): well, I have no problems with synths in metal per se, so it's not an all-or-nothing thing. But, yes, if the keyboardist decides to pick something from the soundbank that I consider cheesy - and especially if the synths are too dominant in the, then I tend to get allergic reactions.

Fadeout endings: I've never had problems with fadeout endings.

Intro/Narration/Transition tracks: this is really a case-by-case thing. With intros and transition tracks, I do not mind if I think that they are good and stuff like that, but if it seems to obvious to me that it's really just filler material, then I tend to skip through them. As for narration, I often think that is is pointless, and that it easily becomes very cheesy - especially narration voicing over the music. But then again, there are cases where narration or spoken word works perfectly, and then I appreciate it of course. There are other cases where it is so ridiculously cheesy that it becomes appreciable in a sort of kitschy and campy fashion.

Gratuitous soloing: I don't mind a lot of guitar solos, but, of course, I prefer variation so it is not just shredding all the way.

Extensive vamping and same chord progressions: if it works, it works, and sometimes this approach works very well, so I actually do not mind this (especially not when it serves to sort of build up a tune) - except of it's overdone, of course.

Production that's too loud: well, if the entire album is mastered such that it is loud, then I just turn down the volume - so no problem there. But if it is a case of some instruments being too loud in the mix, then it can be a problem.

Genre hopping: no problem. Metal is a bastard child created from many different genres anyway.

Samples (of movies, speeches etc.): again this really depends on how it's done. In some cases, the sample just fits the track perfectly, in which case I love it. That being said, I always skip through all the intro samples on "Necroticism" so I can get to the music itself.

Blastbeats through the entire song: I think that blastbeats lose their brutality if they are used too much, so, I guess that blastbeats through the entire song would be a dealbreaker for me..... except in microsongs of course.

Reliance on breakdowns: if the breakdowns are crushingly heavy or have other qualities to them that I appreciate, then I have no problems with a lot of breakdowns. Also, I do not hate metalcore.

Drum machines/obvious synth instruments: okay, this can get to me - especially the drum machines. I prefer human drummers. However, I do not mind some electronica elements, or electronic drum beats and other things like that every now and then.

Frequent time changes: love it

Songs that are too long/too short: well, I don't mind long songs or short songs, but there's a 'too' in the question, which kind of already provides the answer.

Overt technicality: I don't mind a lot of technicality. However, there are cases where the technicality is so central that other elements become disturbing. Take Braindrill, for instance, where the music is so technical that the vocals actually end up being the annoying part - Braindrill would, I think, be much better if they were an instrumental outfit.

Poor mixing: yeah, if some instruments are too dominant, then mixing issues can become dealbreakers.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:07am
As a massive Spinal Tap fan, everything on that list is metal to me, so no problems with any of them - unless done badly. Gratuitous soloing is part of it - and even done badly, can add to the overall effect - it's not the details, it's the overall package that makes or breaks a metal song for me.

I think the one thing that breaks the deal for me more often than not is half-assedness.

Any metal band that doesn't commit itself 110% to what it's trying to achieve shouldn't get out of bed in my opinion. If you're gonna do half a solo, don't bother. If you're gonna lay down a vocal track that wouldn't frighten a goose, get someone else in. If you're gonna try a different style, go all the way, don't compromise because you're frightened you might scare your fans off.

Do Classical - but do it with swagger - ham it up, annoy the crap out of the purists. Churn out the same, tired cycles of fifths, and no-one in metaldom will forgive you, unless your name is Yngwie Malmsteen - and even then, you'll be left with a hardcore following rather than genre-wide credibility.

Troo Metal does not compromise - it doesn't turn up to 10 when 11 is available, it doesn't stick with 4/4 if it wants to get crazy with time sigs - it piles straight into 65/64 or some other extreme - but it doesn't have to.

Metal can rest assured that as long as it pushes as hard as it can, then even a crappy singer can cut across well if he's putting in everything he's got and then some (e.g. early Holocaust), a rubbish guitarist can be impressive if the volume isn't compromised (Blue Cheer), and a sloppy drummer who hasn't even got around to setting up his kit, let alone playing it really can be in one of the World's most successful metal bands (Metallica).

Troo Metal can even be slathered in glitter and spandex, wear 9" heels and outrageously permed hair, but 8" heels, tight jeans and a light poodle frizz just won't convince anyone.

Metal to the MAX!!! Wink
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:51am
I voted for reliance of breakdowns.  It's the reason why I do not like most deathcore.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I voted for reliance of breakdowns.  It's the reason why I do not like most deathcore.

Indeed. A breakdown once in a while is awesome shit, but one in every song..(or multiple!) is just too damn much.
My brothers, originally, death metal band went that route and caused him to leave. LOL

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:33pm
Pig squeals. By farPig
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 2:17am
When they start rapping.  So metal! Headbanger  Ermm
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:44am
When I think of drum machines I think of disco, synth pop, dance pop, techno and electro. Maybe it's my age but the use of a drum machine in metal is blasphemy. I know there is few artists that use it like Ministry which I've never heard.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

When I think of drum machines I think of disco, synth pop, dance pop, techno and electro. Maybe it's my age but the use of a drum machine in metal is blasphemy. I know there is few artists that use it like Ministry which I've never heard.

What about one man bands who can't play real drums?

Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 4:22pm

And Ziltoid?  Don't know how you could dislike that album.  I think if it's done well it can be just as good.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:52pm

Hey guys, sounds very "synthetic" to my ears. Too techno polished for me. I will say that for a musician(s) that don't have a drummer it's a great thing. Back in the day for hard rock(metal) bands to incorporate programmable electronics was unheard of, of course there was exceptions like the Mellotron and other electronics when recording but to have no drummer that was like hell freezing over.  I guess I'm from the old school and I'm always behind trying to keep up to the insane acceleration of technology.

Edited by cannon - 10 Jul 2011 at 6:55pm
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:51pm
Maybe Mirrorthrone was a bad example...
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 3:29am
^^^ I always thought Summoning did it pretty well.

A pet hate of mine is genre hopping. I like when bands fuses other genres into their music, but when shits flitting all over the place, passing it off the next best thing in avant-garde, it tends to grate on my nerves. Will not mention names since some of the ones I'm thinking of seem to highly rated here.  
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 12:02pm
Voted for "other". I can�t stand the fusion of (metal)bands with a symphony orchestra. I either want metal or a classic symphony. The last Blind Guardian output is an example of that mixture that I find highly irritating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic