MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best sci-fi films from 00's!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: The best sci-fi film from the years 00's is....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [41.18%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [17.65%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best sci-fi films from 00's!
    Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 3:41pm
In your opinion, the best sci-fi movie from the 00's is...
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 3:55pm
I love District 9 for its hard sf value and excellent acting. But I still haven't seen Children of Men which I heard is very good. So no vote from me, at least for now.

Great poll btwThumbs Up
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:21pm
I'm embarrassed to say that of all the above, I have only seen Donnie Darko and Inception. Embarrassed
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:49pm
I don't see "Boa vs. Python" on the list!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:53pm
I�ve only seen Children of Men and Pitch Black. The latter is a bit too much of an action movie for my taste, while the former was pretty interesting but a bit too long.

Oh I just remember I�ve also seen Sunshine ( twice as a matter of fact). Very beautiful and ominous movie that one.

I don�t nearly see enough movies these days. Don�t really have time.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:58pm
I just thought I�d share this list. They are not all sci-fi movies but there are some pretty sinister ones among them ( also some sci-fi stuff): http://www.imdb.com/list/1t9qe2TSJ3s/
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm
^The list reminded me of Moon, very good hard sf movie with great soundtrack by Clint Mansell, worth watching.

Edited by bartosso - 01 Jul 2011 at 7:20pm
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:22pm
A tie between Donnie Darko and V for Vendetta.

Some other good ones are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Science of Sleep by Michel Gondry.

Edited by E�rendil - 01 Jul 2011 at 8:23pm
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

^The list reminded me of Moon, very good hard sf movie with great soundtrack by Clint Mansell, worth watching.

Damn! I forgot to add Moon! Excellent movie, directed by the son of David Bowie.

Shame on me! Ouch
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 2:19am
I actually have Moon on my shelf but I haven�t gotten around to seing it yet.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 4:55am
I actually quite like "Star Trek: Nemesis" from 2002. It's very dark and different.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 5:21am

V For Vendetta....by a country mile.

Set in dystopian England and similar in some respects to Orwell's 1984.

Famous for this quite incredibly written quote and spoken by "V" (Hugo Weaving) the main character.

V: But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona.
V: Voil�! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
[carves "V" into poster on wall]
V: The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
V: [giggles]
V: Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

Sheer brilliance! Watch it if you can

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 8:41am
^But the movie is not so good than the graphic novel. A true masterpiece.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 9:28am
One of my favorites:

"Would you prefer a lie or the truth?"
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:43am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I actually have Moon on my shelf but I haven�t gotten around to seing it yet.

Shocked  You don't know what are you losing...

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I'm embarrassed to say that of all the above, I have only seen Donnie Darko and Inception. Embarrassed

Same...Embarrassed

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 3:09pm
I think the poll is a faild one (if you plan to have the landmark sci fi movies from the 00s) for not have included Avatar,, you might not like it but it is wha it is. the most spoked and one very important movie in the genre, maybe not storywise but must certanly graphicly and visullay
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:38am
Since we're on the subject, I've recently read a short story by Poul Anderson and found it suspiciously similar to Avatar. Then I found this: http://www.slashfilm.com/is-james-camerons-avatar-actually-an-uncredited-rewrite-of-a-1957-poul-anderson-story/

The short story is actually much better than the movie.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:22am
^Actually, there's many things very similar to Avatar... but just made before Avatar! Thanks for the link Bartosso!
 Anyways, Balthamel is right: visually, Avatar is excellent. And still the best movie to utilize the 3D technology. But I've expected more from James Cmeron (a great sci-fi/action filmmaker).
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:18am
Inception easily
GLAM METAL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic