Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2011-12 NHL/Hockey Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:35am
Leafs and Nashville made a swap.  Looks like a low risk, high reward potential. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370797
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Leafs and Nashville made a swap.  Looks like a low risk, high reward potential. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370797

I'd say the Leafs got the better end of the trade. Lombardi can fly and Franson is good defensive D-man. I see the Caps signed Thomas Vokoun for one year. Now they have a legitimate #1 goalie. I picked the Caps to win the Stanley Cup last year as the team adopted a defensive scheme, though it took them some time they were right near the top in team D. Maybe it'll be OV's year this year(2011-12)(?).
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:22pm
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 7:38pm

Here's a big one: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370854

I think Heatley is bit of a bad apple. Sounds like from what I've read that he wanted out of SJ too. He was invisible in last years playoffs. From what I saw it seemed like he didn't even want to be on the ice. Other than scoring goals he's not a very good hockey player IMO and I don't think I`d like to have in my dressing room. Marty Havlat is the opposite. He's hard working, a team player, nice guy and plays all assets of the game. The only knock I have against him is he can be inconsistent. Also SJ saves a bit of dough.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 7:40pm
^ I agree with most of the above
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 9:46am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Here's a big one: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370854

I think Heatley is bit of a bad apple. Sounds like from what I've read that he wanted out of SJ too. He was invisible in last years playoffs. From what I saw it seemed like he didn't even want to be on the ice. Other than scoring goals he's not a very good hockey player IMO and I don't think I`d like to have in my dressing room. Marty Havlat is the opposite. He's hard working, a team player, nice guy and plays all assets of the game. The only knock I have against him is he can be inconsistent. Also SJ saves a bit of dough.

I've never liked Heatley's attitude.  He complained in Ottawa a ton.  Talent is wasted on headcases like him.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 12:40pm
SJ probably shipped him out because he was starting to mouth it up. The boy has a bad attitude. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the accident back in Atlanta where he killed his teammate and good friend Dan Snyder.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:23am
I wanted to ask you guys what you think of our new WHL team's logo? The team moved from Chilliwack as I guess they couldn't support both a WHL and a AHL team, the Chilliwack Chiefs, the farm team of the Calgary Flames. We had an ECHL team, the Victoria Salmon Kings which now have folded to make way for the new junior team.

I like the colours of the uniform but the logo reminds me of the Royal Banl logo. I'm not sure if they are a sponser.

Edited by cannon - 12 Jul 2011 at 9:24am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:44am
What was it before?
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:40pm

I can see this logo working on a jersey since I like the color scheme.  The logo is pretty traditional looking, kinda like something off a provincial flag/crest.  I think it's fine, despite the similarity to the Royal Bank logo.  If they are sponsors, then that may change my mind a little.  Leave sponsorship on jerseys to the CFL!! LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:51pm
Hey Trice. The team actually relocated from Chilliwack this past off season and were called the Bruins. Back in the '70's there was a team from New Wes tMinister called the Bruins who won the Memorial Cup back to back in '77 & '78. Some of the players from those teams were Stan Smyl, Barry Beck, Brad Maxwell and other notable players include Glenn Anderson, Ron Greshner, Bill Ranford, and Cliff Ronning.

We had the Victoria Cougars here in the WHL from 1971 - 1994 and then they moved to Prince George because of low turnouts because the owner who had purchased the team had made some bad decisions and the team was basically horrible. However before that time the franchise had some very good team and won the WHL championship in 1981 but lost in the Memorial Cup. I went to alot of games when I was kid and as teenager and an adult. Some great hockey was played in that "old barn". Some of players include Mel Bridgeman who went 1st. overall in 1975 to the Flyers and finished his career in Vancouver. A couple of great goalies, Grant Fuhr and Murray Bannerman, Russ And Geoff Courtnall (Russ and I sure had some battles in minor hockey. Man did he have big mouth.), Curt Frazer, Barry Pederson, Bob McGill and Brad Palmer.

Going back in history here. the Victoria Cougars won the Stanley Cup in 1925 beating the Montreal Canadiens and went back to the final next year only to lose to the Montreal Maroons. the following year the team moved to Detroit and couple years later changed thier name to the Falcons and eventually to the Red Wings. A bit of useless trivia.

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:55pm

I can see this logo working on a jersey since I like the color scheme.  The logo is pretty traditional looking, kinda like something off a provincial flag/crest.  I think it's fine, despite the similarity to the Royal Bank logo.  If they are sponsors, then that may change my mind a little.  Leave sponsorship on jerseys to the CFL!! LOL

I agree Dan. Great colour scheme. I'll check it out and see if the Royal bank is sponser and let you know. I won't be surprised to see sponsership advertising on NHL jerseys in the near future. Did you see the advertising on the end zone( behind the net) at GM place during the playoffs. I guess the people from behind had no vision impairment but I found every time the paly was in the end zone that the advertisement drew my attention from the game.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 8:48am
O yeah, the Jets unveiled their logo the other day.

It looks very traditional, but I still prefer their look from the 90s.  I'm guessing the one on the left is what goes on the front, and the winged one will be on the shoulders.  I wonder if they'll let them wear the old jerseys for retro ones.  It would be pretty funny if they used Thrasher jerseys as retros. LOL

Edited by Stooge - 24 Jul 2011 at 8:49am
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:38am

I sure like the one on the left. Very Canadian. Reminds me of the Canadian air force logo and probably where they got thier idea.

The other two are OK. I'd love to see the old jerseys as thier third(retro) jersey. Those Thrasher's uniforms and thier logo were about the worst league IMO. Hopefully the team will have to play only one year in the southeast division and move to northwest and move Colorodo out with Detroit going to the eastern conference in the northeast division. Let the Islanders go to the southeast division.LOL It will interesting to see how the NHL realigns the divisions in the future.

Been meaning to ask you Dan if you're a big Jays fan?

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 10:41am

I sure like the one on the left. Very Canadian. Reminds me of the Canadian air force logo and probably where they got thier idea.

The other two are OK. I'd love to see the old jerseys as thier third(retro) jersey. Those Thrasher's uniforms and thier logo were about the worst league IMO. Hopefully the team will have to play only one year in the southeast division and move to northwest and move Colorodo out with Detroit going to the eastern conference in the northeast division. Let the Islanders go to the southeast division.LOL It will interesting to see how the NHL realigns the divisions in the future.

Been meaning to ask you Dan if you're a big Jays fan?

Yeah I thought of the Air Force logo as well, though I couldn't remember exactly what that logo looked like.

Blue Jays?  I'm definitely a big Jays fan!!  My current avatar at Prog Archives is Jose Bautista.  Not much to write about since 1993, but I've been loyal to all Toronto teams since I was a kid.  It's good to see Robbie Alomar and GM Pat Gillick going into the Baseball Hall Of Fame, the main reason being their contributions during their years in Toronto.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:31am

It's great to see both of those guys going into the hall. Alomar along with Ozzie "The Wizard" Smith are the two best SS I've seen. It's too bad about the spitting incident with Alomar and the umpire though Alomar made amends. Most of the players back in the 90's wanted to come and play in Toronto. The Skydome was sold out every night back then. Gillick was the man. I remember him trading Fred McGriffe(my fav player at that time) and T. Fernandez to S.D. for Alomar and Joe Carter. I was outraged. Who are these guys? We got to know them very quickly.

I started following the Jays about 1980 and they had some great teams and players, especially in the mid/late 80's but always fell short. The team winning back-to-back World Series are one of my greatest sports memories. Those teams back then had personality and some some great characters. TSN broadcasted all the games back then with Jim Hughson(HNIC) calling the paly-by-play with Buck Martinez as colour. They were great.

The last 10 years have been a struggle. I have to admit I haven't watch an entire game this year. When Doc Halladay left to the Phils I lost interest and with the Mariners being brutal as they have it's been hard to get back into watching MLB however I still watch the playoffs and really enjoy it.

Was a big Expos fan as well. They also had some good teams with some great players. I still remember "Blue Monday" back in the early 80's. It was the Expos/Dodgers in the NLCS and a couple of us skipped out the afternoon back in H.S. to watch the game and Rick Monday hit a home run to basically eliminate the 'spos. The team was never the same after that.

Toronto has one winning team. The Rock. Watched the final this past year as it was great to see the team get thier revenge against the Washington Stealth as they beat them the previous year for the championship.

It's too bad they don't broadcast the NLL games. They used to. I love watching lacrosse. It's brutal. Vancouver had a team for a few years called the Ravens. I grew up going to Victoria Shamrocks(WLA) games in the summer. Been meaning to go to game in the last years but never have gotten around to it.

I played goal when I was a kid. Played on the B-team as I went out because they didn't have a goalie so I volunteered. What amistake that was. We got beat 20-0 pretty much all the time. I game out of the games all bruised up. Sometimes I had up to 80 shots a game. I played for 4 years. That was enough!

Do you remember Roller Hockey International(RHI) from the 90's? You might be too young. That was fun watching hockey on roller blades. We had the Vancouver Voodoo. Great name, great logo. Tiger Williams was involved in the ownership. They showed a few games on TV. I wish I had bought one those jerseys as well as a Raven's.

Edited by cannon - 25 Jul 2011 at 7:21am
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 5:13am
I see Sean Avery got arrested in L.A. for pushing a cop. Not too smart.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 9:37am
^ ^ ^

Oh Avery! Ermm
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 9:47am
He's quite a guy isn't he.LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 6:00am
Heard this last night on the news. Shook me up. Always liked Rypien and was pulling for him to get through what ever he was going through. I'm not going to speculate on his death. It could be anything. Wouldn't be right.

This guy never backed down from anybody. He would take on the heavyweights and from what I remember he really didn't lose a fight. I'd say he was one of the best fighters in the league and no question the best in his weight class.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic