Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2011-12 NHL/Hockey Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2011-12 NHL/Hockey Talk
    Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:14pm
Yes, the season just ended a few weeks back, but with free agency beginning tomorrow, it's already time to look forward to next season.  Plenty of moves have been made already, with the biggest moves centered around the Flyers (Carter and Richards), and of course the draft.

There was some previous discussion of general NHL business in the Stanley Cup poll, so I figure any general hockey talk can go here.  If you want to talk non-NHL hockey (CHL, KHL, Swedish League, Finnish, ...), feel free to lump it into the conversation.  Smile
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 10:56pm
I'm always willing to talk hockey.Big smile

The Canucks lost Christian Ehrhoff to the Sabres. !0 years for $40 million with the contract being front ended loaded that seems to be the norm now with these ridiculous long term contracts. They signed Bieksa and Andrew Alberts today.

Big day tomorrow. July 1. UFA madness begins.

Brad Richards I think will either go to the Leafs or the Rangers. I'm leaning Rangers with Tortorella coaching there as he was with Richards in Tampa and had a good relationship. I hope he goes to the Leafs.

Stooge, could you see Jaromir Jagr in Toronto?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:01pm
Oilers probably won't be real active, unless they can somehow toss out Horcoff or Sourray
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

I'm always willing to talk hockey.Big smile

The Canucks lost Christian Ehrhoff to the Sabres. !0 years for $40 million with the contract being front ended loaded that seems to be the norm now with these ridiculous long term contracts. They signed Bieksa and Andrew Alberts today.

Big day tomorrow. July 1. UFA madness begins.

Brad Richards I think will either go to the Leafs or the Rangers. I'm leaning Rangers with Tortorella coaching there as he was with Richards in Tampa and had a good relationship. I hope he goes to the Leafs.

Stooge, could you see Jaromir Jagr in Toronto?

I doubt Jagr would play in Toronto, and I'm not sure if Burke would want him.  I think Jagr is looking for a guaranteed playoff run.  I don't know what their cap space is, but would Detroit be interested?

I think Richards will sign with the Rangers as well.  Who Toronto gets as a center I'm not too sure.  I hear Burke is interested in getting Max Talbot as a bottom six forward.  I wouldn't mind that.  But if we don't get a top line center, the media will crucify Burke.

He also said we're sticking with Reimer and Gustavsson as our 1-2 goalie combo.  That concerns me (Gustavsson I mean).

The terms of contracts out there are pretty ridiculous.  They should reduce (or set?) the maximum term when the CBA expires.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Oilers probably won't be real active, unless they can somehow toss out Horcoff or Sourray

They may be buying out Souray: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370461
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:48pm
I read that the Oilers bought out Souray as well. I wonder if he'll sign with a team(?). The Oil need some D. I'm not sure how much cap space they have or how much they're willing to spend.

Ya, I can't see Burkie signing Jagr either. Good call Stooge, I could see him in Detroit though they're getting long in the tooth. The Monster makes me nervous. I don't have any confidence in him at all. There is quite a few UFA goalies out there that would be a better back up for Riemer as well as being a mentor to him as well. Max Talbot would be a good fit. No question, a centerman is desperately needed. Like you said, Burke will get hammered if doesn't come up with 1st. line center somehow, some way.

Here's a list of UFAs from TSN. Gotta fly guys. I'm sure there will be some action tomorrow.Big smile

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:15am
Detroit is interested in Jagr, but I think it is up to him to decide where he wants to go.  I think that he will probably end up with the Penguins.  I'm kind of mixed on getting Jagr.  The Wings announced that they wouldn't resign Kris Draper or Chris Osgood because they are looking to get younger, and Mike Modano will also not be resigned.  Sentimentally these are sad moves, but for the goal of winning they are probably the right moves.  To sign Jagr though, might be counterintuitive to the goal of getting younger.  Granted Jagr in his prime was a superstar, it remains to be seen if at his current age whether or not his skill level would exceed that of Draper or Modano.  Good numbers in the Russian league might not translate into good numbers in the NHL.  Jiri Hudler after a year in the Russian league was not as good as Jiri Hudler before he left to go to the Russian league.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 1:17pm
Looks like Jagr turned down Pittsburgh to play for the Flyers.  I wonder what reaction he'll get in Pitt for this? http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370567
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 1:46pm
I just read that in the local on-line paper.  The Wings said they were out at 11:00, the Penguins said that they were out at 12:00 and at 1:00 they announced he signed with the Flyers.  The Flyers have really gone crazy in the last couple of weeks.  It'll be interesting to see how well all of the new parts gel in Philly.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:11pm
Jagr in a Flyers uniform? Somehow that shouldn't be IMO. Never was Jagr fan. Hell of offensive player. A friend of mine and D-partner growing up, Joe Reekie played with him in Washington and told me of this guy's attitude. Arrogant with a capital "A".  I can't remember a team taking such a dramatic change in it's rooster within a week. I don't think you can call them the "Broad St. Bullies" anymore.

Canucks inked Salo and Chris Higgins and signed Marco Sturm. I was never impressed with this guy. Overrated IMO. He's coming off a couple of serious injuries. I don't think the team will make any big acquisitions as I think they're happy with the D. Maybe a another top six/nine forward with some grit. We lost Raffi Torres. Sorry to see him go.

I guess everyone is waiting on Brad Richards. LA, TB, Tor., NYR are all in the fold. I'm hoping T.O.

The big signing was James Wisniewski at $33 million over 6 years. That's almost as much as Duncan Keith makes. Craziness!

The Oilers were a lot more active than I thought they would be. Traded Foster for Andy Sutton, a big tough defensive D and got Cam Barker, a pretty good darn D-man. And one of my fav players, Ben Eager.LOL Darcy Hordichuck and Eric Belanger. The Oilers have become a better and tougher team.

Seems like the frenzy is over, for now.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:30pm
Yeah, some great grabs for the oil.  Hopefully they can win games this season LOL
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 12:45am

Jagr in a Flyers uniform? Somehow that shouldn't be IMO. Never was Jagr fan. Hell of offensive player. A friend of mine and D-partner growing up, Joe Reekie played with him in Washington and told me of this guy's attitude. Arrogant with a capital "A".  I can't remember a team taking such a dramatic change in it's rooster within a week. I don't think you can call them the "Broad St. Bullies" anymore.

You played with Joe Reekie?  I remember him with Washington when they made the finals in 1998 with Kolzig.  Speaking of capital A, didn't Reekie wear one on his jersey?
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

You played with Joe Reekie?  I remember him with Washington when they made the finals in 1998 with Kolzig.  Speaking of capital A, didn't Reekie wear one on his jersey?

Yeah, I played with him in minor hockey here in Victoria then he moved to Ontario. My dad and his were in the navy together and good friends. I don't remember him wearing an "A" Stooge. I'm probably wrong though. Joe was one of the few players to get drafted twice. Started his career in Buffalo. He's working in the Cap's orginisation now.

We went to the B.C. finals in Pee Wee and lost to the Frazer Valley Winter Club, two straight. They went onto win the nationals. All the best players from the lower mainland. Craig Redmond played on the team. He eventually got drafted in the 1st round, 7th overall by the Kings. Played with the Oilers.

I got drafted by the Kamploops Jr. Oilers in 1980(New West Bruins moved there). Didn't go to camp as I wasn't having fun playing hockey at that time. Had other interests, girlfriend and partying.LOL Played mens hockey for years in a beer league. That was fun.

How about you. Play hockey?
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 10:36am
I didn't play hockey aside from street hockey with my brother.  I come from a single income family, and my father was laid off a few times, so organized sports were not in the budget.  I did play volleyball for my elementary school team for 2 years from 12-13.  That's the closest I've come to any organized sports.  It would have been cool to play in some other league competition as a kid, but my parents we never big sports fans.  That might have more to do with it than the finances.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 11:22am
Looks like Richards is a Ranger: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370694
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 11:25am

Damn! I thought so. Oh well. Who are the Leafs going after now? Burke is in Afghanistan visiting the troops.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 11:52am

Damn! I thought so. Oh well. Who are the Leafs going after now? Burke is in Afghanistan visiting the troops.

Yeah I heard that.  Odd timing.  I saw some brief footage, and I think Luke Schenn was with him, so maybe he's trying to hammer out a deal with him.  Clarke MacArtthur also is an RFA who needs to be signed for sure.  If we don't get a center through trade, which would be a huge disappointment, we'd be banking on either Nazem Kadri or Joe Colborne to jump into the lineup and produce.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 3:18pm
The Leafs signed Tim Connoly.  Money seems a big high, but I guess that's fortunate there aren't many FA centers out there.  2 years, so it's more of a short term thing.  I just remember him being injured a lot. LOL

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 4:13pm

The Leafs signed Tim Connoly.  Money seems a big high, but I guess that's fortunate there aren't many FA centers out there.  2 years, so it's more of a short term thing.  I just remember him being injured a lot. LOL

That's the first thing that comes to my mind as well Stooge. He's injury proun. Not as bad as Sami Salo though as the Canucks signed him for one more year. I agree, that's big dough for Connoly. I think he'll fit in with Kessel. He has offensive talents and is a good set up man. I don't know if he's the answer but Burke had to do something or those sports radio stations in TO would lighting up. Sometimes it's best not to do anything.

What do you think of Ron Wilson? I'm not a fan of all. He's not a player's coach. His sarcasm and spite must be getting tiresome with some of the players by now. I think that's what happened in SJ and Anahiem.

I was thinking about your post in regards to you not playing sports when you were young due to your situation. Looking back there was alot of kids I grew up with that thier parents couldn't afford (didn't want to afford) or didn't have/want to make time for thier kids to play sports, especially hockey. I was fortunate as my parents spent a fortune for me to play hockey. I played rep hockey all through minor hockey and it seemed like every second weekend we were off playing in some tournament. I actually started to hate it when I was 14 as there was so much pressure from the coaches and parents and eventually packed it in halfway through the season in my second year of midget rep.

A couple years later I joined a men's team and played for 12 years until I got hurt(hip) and had a great time. The game was fun again. I miss playing the game but not as much as being part of the team though.

There was alot of politics involved as well in rep hockey. One guy that I played with, Tom Martin, his dad was a scout and had "connections" as his son made the NHL and he played for Hartford Whalers and somebody else that I can't remember right now. IMO he shouldn't of made it. He was somewhat of an enforcer, but not a heavyweight. BTW, he got traded for a bus in the WHL.LOL I think it was from the Victoria Cougars to the Seattle Breakers, or vice-versa.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. There's always two sides of the coin in everything in life. If I could do all it again, I would play house league and even go as far to say I would chose not to play than play rep hockey.

Gotta get back to painting outside. My coffee break is over. hehehe
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm

What do you think of Ron Wilson? 

He hasn't really proven much as a head coach, and not just in Toronto.  One finals appearance, and I believe he got swept.  The Sharks always underachieved with him despite some good regular season standings if I recall correctly.  I'm not sure why we got rid of Paul Maurice to bring him in.  He was a better fit for a young team.

I forget their names, but Brian Burke brought in 2 new assistant coaches a few weeks ago.  He did not consult with Wilson on the hirings/firings.  One coach on the way out, Tim Hunter, had worked with Wilson for a number of years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic