2011-12 NHL/Hockey Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2011-12 NHL/Hockey Talk
    Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 2:34am
Seems they've never played in the Olympics, but in the World Championships these are the latest results:

• 2007- Finished in 10th place
  • 2008- Finished in 12th place
  • 2009- Finished in 13th place
  • 2010- Finished in 8th place
  • 2011- Finished in 11th place

The 2010 is the highest ever. For the last couple of years I think they've managed to surprise some of the big countries a few times, but the consistensy is bad. Germany is in the same league, but they've been doing a bit better overall I think.

Canada spanked us too Tongue But we spanked Denmark 10-1 and got USA and Czech Republic as well. Seems like a good team we've got going.

Winter classic tonight, who's watching?
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 9:03am
Not NHL, but in the World Junior Hockey Championship, I see that Canada spanked Denmark 10-2.  That makes me wonder: What's the most success Denmark ever had in an international hockey tournament?
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 1:58pm
A surprising start for sure, but I believe they're coming up from the slump soon.

But fucking hell, some big money KHL team snatched our 94,16%, 1,48 GAA league leading goalie midseason. A slide down from the second seat in the standings expected, even though we'll be getting Mikko Koskinen from the Islanders system as a compensation. I just don't believe he's that good.
<- Click on this!
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 4:33pm
Any thoughts on the Bruins Stanley Cup hangover? You think they're starting to rise, with two devastating wins against Toronto and Islanders? Being a fan, I'd say good times are coming. 

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 4:41pm
And the Jets are back! Tailing 0-1 at the moment but anyway. The original Jets were a special team for me as a kid, it's great that NHL is back in Winnipeg.
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 9:08am
Ottawa has been catching teams sleeping.  Leafs were up 4-0, but they barely escaped with a 6-5 win.  Kessel got his first hat-trick as a Leaf, which many (especially Brian Burke LOL) thought would have happened much sooner.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 12:29pm
Good game.  Wings jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held on to win 5 to 3.  5 goals from 5 different guys and none of them were named Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Cleary, or Holmstrom. 
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Just found out I am going to Wings' opening night tonight.  Wings vs Senators. Clap  And I am off.

Wear the Sens out cuz the Leafs play them tomorrow. Wink
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 4:25pm
Oh my god. I know it's the first game of the season and it's a strange environment and there's no proper home audience on either side, but come on! I just saw hands down the worst hockey game of my life. The couple of games in our domestic SM-liiga that I've seen this season have been dazzling displays of skill, passion and speed compared to this sloppy bunch of slobs. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of "highlights" the nhl.com crew can dig up from that trainwreck of a game. Oh no, trainwreck sounds way too exciting a word to use here.

But anyway, no regrets. Had I not gone I'd be wondering forever what it was like. I would like to see a match on Canadian or American soil some day, maybe they would care a bit then.
<- Click on this!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 4:16pm
Just found out I am going to Wings' opening night tonight.  Wings vs Senators. Clap  And I am off.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Ducks and Sabres are opening the season today in Helsinki and I'M GOING!!HeadbangerWacko Hug Fucking unbelievable, they had some tickets come back on sale, and even though they were expensive as hell, I couldn't let it pass now that I had some money. I've been a major Teemu Sel�nne fan since 1991 when I was five and he was playing in Finland, and since 1992 I've followed NHL closely. Now I'll see a legitimate NHL game, phew.

Have a good time.  Smile

Leafs started off the season well with a 2-0 victory.  They played horribly in the 1st period though, and Reimer had to stand on his head to keep it scoreless.

Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 12:13am
Ducks and Sabres are opening the season today in Helsinki and I'M GOING!!HeadbangerWacko Hug Fucking unbelievable, they had some tickets come back on sale, and even though they were expensive as hell, I couldn't let it pass now that I had some money. I've been a major Teemu Sel�nne fan since 1991 when I was five and he was playing in Finland, and since 1992 I've followed NHL closely. Now I'll see a legitimate NHL game, phew.
<- Click on this!
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

The Leafs acquired center David Steckel yesterday.  He may have led the league in faceoff percentage, but he's more famous for his hit on Sidney Crosby.
Yep, I actually had no idea about his faceoff brilliance. Pretty much all I know about him is the hit, or as I prefer, collision. 

Somehow I think Avery may find it hard to get interest from other NHL teams, but if he's into it and has the option, KHL would probably welcome him.

edit: Oh well, he went through unclaimed.

It's pretty hilarious when people on Facebook were shouting SUSPENSION!! when a recent Trevor Gillies hit was put up on NHL.com, and now Shanahan is making an example of it as a perfectly good and legal hit. If Matt Cooke ever makes a good clean body check, there will be tons of people wanting him suspended on past actions.

Edited by Pekka - 05 Oct 2011 at 2:38pm
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 8:53am
^ ^ ^
Reimer is going to be challenged this year for sure, but at least you get to draft 3 goalies.  I was offered a spot in a fantasy league, but they aren't for me.

The Leafs acquired center David Steckel yesterday.  He may have led the league in faceoff percentage, but he's more famous for his hit on Sidney Crosby.

Sean Avery has been placed on waivers.  Doubt the Leafs will want him (hopefully not!) with the whole Phaneuf/sloppy seconds comment of a few years ago.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 12:20am
So I joined a fantasy hockey league put up at another forum, and yesterday was the draft day. Could perhaps done a bit better, but here's my team at the start of the season:

Goalies:
Pekka Rinne
Tuukka Rask
James Reimer

Defence:
Zdeno Chara
Nicklas Lidstr�m
P.K. Subban
Dustin Byfuglien
Toni Lydman
Kimmo Timonen
Kevin Bieksa
Andrej Meszaros
Sami Salo

Offence:
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Brad Marchand
Valtteri Filppula
Saku Koivu
Ville Leino
James van Riemsdyk
Evander Kane
Tuomo Ruutu
Simon Gagne
Michael Grabner
Devin Setoguchi
Cal Clutterbuck
Kyle Okposo
Lauri Korpikoski
Danny Cleary
Kris Versteeg
<- Click on this!
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 2:16pm
Let's see what happens to Wisniewski and Staubitz...
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 7:50pm

Interesting to see Shanahan's line with the two boardings calls today. Promises a hard time for cheap shooters this coming season, good.

I definitely am glad to see Shanny means business.  And I'm not just saying that because one of the victims of a hit was a Leaf (Darryl Boyce, who broke his nose).  There were too many under-disciplined actions in hockey over the past few seasons.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 2:03pm
Just watched Mike Modano's press conference, almost brought a tear to my eye as well. A great player and one of my favourites when I was a bit of a Dallas fan as a pre-teen.

Interesting to see Shanahan's line with the two boardings calls today. Promises a hard time for cheap shooters this coming season, good.

And here in Finland: Four games, four victories, just three goals in our own net HeadbangerAn outstanding start to the season, the best in history.
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 11:44am
The Leafs finally signed Luke Schenn: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375906

There have been several signings as of late among players who entered the league around the same time.  Some are still holding out.  Apparently, Drew Doughty is seeking $7 million a year from LA.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Sabres and Ducks are kicking the NHL season off about five kilometres from my place, but I had no money when the tickets came on sale, and now they're all gone Cry If it's happening next year too, I think this is the third year, I'm definitely going. It's been my dream from like a six year old to see an NHL game live.
Well, if you ever happen to appear in Michigan let me know and I can probably get you to a Red Wings' game.
I highly doubt that, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks Wink Actually it's not totally out of the question that my in-laws might move back to the States at some point now that they're retired, which would give us a good reason to visit, but that would probably be LA.

Woo, I'm going to a game on saturday Clap
<- Click on this!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic