Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The CFL 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The CFL 2011
    Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:00pm
I know there isn't too many fans of the Canadian Football League (CFL) here, except for Stooge and maybe Trice(?). I've been a big fan for 30 years and the B.C. Lions are my team who play in Vancouver. The 2011 season kicks off tonight with the Lions playing last years Grey Cup champions, the Montreal Alouettes.

Edited by cannon - 30 Jun 2011 at 5:00pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:20pm
I watch football sometimes but don't really pay attention to the league
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:33pm
The Grey Cup is being held in Vancouver this year. Just think if the Lions make it and lose.LOL
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:06pm
Great idea for a thread, even if me and you are the only 2 who will use it. LOL

Steven Jyles was put on the 9 game disabled list.  I hope to God Cleo Lemon has improved over last year.  He looked solid in preseason, but throwing for 1/2 a game doesn't really show much.

I'm not watching the game that's on now (I'm sure you are Smile), but the Argos/Stamps game tomorrow will have my full attention.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm
Sorry to hear Jyles gone for 9 games. I would of started him over Lemon myself.

Lions lost 30-23. Pretty good game. The Als were way out in front at the half but in the CFL a team could be leading by 28 points only to lose.

Here's my predictions for this year:

WEST
1. Calgary
2. Sask.
3. B.C.
4. Edmonton

I think the top three teams will be all very close. The Eskimos are rebuilding and I think Ricky Ray's days are getting thin.

EAST
1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Hamilton
4. Winnipeg

It will be neck and neck for first place between the Argos and Als all year. The edge to Montreal with AC.

I think the Argos will beat the Als in the east final to play Calgary in the Grey Cup in Van. Lion's QB Travis Lulay is going to be a hell of a good player but it's only his second year. Next year will be the Lions.

"Smilin' Hank" Henry Burris and the Stamps will beat the Argos for the Grey Cup.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:14pm
I wouldn't know where to begin making predictions, but Perry Lefko, writer for Sportsnet, seems to think BC will win it all: http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/06/30/lefko_fearless_forecast/
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:18pm
I think as long as Maciocia is anywhere in the esk's organization they are 4th west annually.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:33pm
Stooge: Lions had a great pre-season. Didn't give up a TD. Thier O-line has improved but a young QB in the CFL needs that learning curve as it in the NFL. That would be great to see the Lions win at home, but...

Trice, I think Maciocia is gone. What I remember he is coaching a HS or college team. Don't quote me on that. My memory can brutal at times.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 12:24pm
Ohey, I just checked and you were right.  I thought he was still "Director of football operations"
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 12:42am
Argos beat the Stamps 23-21.  Close, but overall a solid game.  Cleo Lemon, while not putting up big numbers, looked fairly calm and confident.  Chad Owens and Jason Pottinger left during the game due to injuries.  I think they mainly stayed out as a precaution, so hopefully they're back for next week.  For Calgary, Burris had a good running game, and Larry Taylor on special teams did significant damage.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Argos beat the Stamps 23-21.  Close, but overall a solid game.  Cleo Lemon, while not putting up big numbers, looked fairly calm and confident.  Chad Owens and Jason Pottinger left during the game due to injuries.  I think they mainly stayed out as a precaution, so hopefully they're back for next week.  For Calgary, Burris had a good running game, and Larry Taylor on special teams did significant damage.

Last second FG. I'm always happy to "Smilin' Hank" have a frown on his face.LOL The Argos have a great D and special teams. Like you said, Lemon looked good.

Calgary made a hell of alot changes for a team that won 13 games.(?)

The Bombers/Ti-Cats wasn't that great. Glad to see the Bombers win. Big fan of Buck Pierce. I hope he can stay healthy but that's like hoping Black Sabbath will come here to play in Victoria.LOL

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:29am
There's going to be a multi-part documentary that follows the Argos this year.  The first part is after tonight's Roughriders/Eskimos game (10pm).  TSN of course.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:38pm
That loss was disappointing.  Nothing went well with the offense, although Copeland was in on a few good gains.  Defense was solid, but Winnipeg's was certainly better.  They really zoomed in on Boyd, and their punter kept the ball away from Owens for the most part.  Only 2 games in, but Winnipeg stands atop the East.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:47pm
If the NFL doesn't play this season...Canadian Football all the way! 
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:53am
Hey Dan, I'm more disappointed than you. You guys are 1-1 as we are 0-2. Still very early especially in a 18 game schedule.

Argos/Bombers game was kind of sloppy. It was hard to watch. Great D from the Bombers. It's nice to see Winnipeg atop the east as last year they were 4-14 and lost many close games. Hoping the east will be more competitive this year and someone give Montreal a run for the money.

I fell asleep at halftime watching the Lions/Stamps game. The first half was brutal. Dropped passes, overthrown recievers, turnovers, no running game from both sides, penalties, etc. I guess the second half was a whole new ball game which is the norm in the CFL. I guess the Lions had a couple chances to win in the last few minutes. Again, questionable play calling from Jacques Chapdelain. There has been some controversy out here on some of the offensive play calling. I've never been a fan of Chapdelain as OC.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:18am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Argos/Bombers game was kind of sloppy. It was hard to watch. Great D from the Bombers. It's nice to see Winnipeg atop the east as last year they were 4-14 and lost many close games. Hoping the east will be more competitive this year and someone give Montreal a run for the money.

Yes it was certainly sloppy.  I'd forgotten that Lemon was sacked 7 times!!! I knew he had little protection, but I had to check TSN's site to learn the horrifying truth.  I can't recall him ever getting much opportunity to have room to seek out a good play.  The Bombers ripped through the line like they were paper.

I look forward to playing the Lions so could get a good discussion going, but that aint till September. Unhappy
Hopefully both our teams will have improved by then. Smile
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:42am
I give some slack as it's only the second game of the season with only two pre-season games for the teams. The CFL was a lot more offensive back in the '80s and '90's. I think there is two main reasons why. First, the QB talent back then was a hell of lot better than it is now and secondly, I think coaches and DC have caught up to the other side of ball by implementing schemes and packages that are more effective and basically there seems to be no running game, or a threat of a running game to keep the D on edge. Maybe this is a cyclical thing. It seems like most team sports leagues go through this over time. Certain eras, offence rules the game as others the D is prominent. I hope that makes sence as I'm having anxiety because I have to the mall shopping. I just hate it.Angry
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 2:54pm
Esks won a game! LOL

play again tonight
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:17am
My last post was in haste as my lady friend was nagging me and knowing what the immediate future held... the mall.Disapprove

The Eskimos look great, especially thier offence. Ricky Ray look like he's back in form. Thier running game is awesome with two Canadian backs. Jerrome Messam had a whale of a game. A big power back. The O mixed it up perfectly. The D basically shut down the Ti-cats. Glenn couldn't do anything. The Eskies are on top in west at 2-0.

I see my predictions are all but wrong so far. The two teams that I picked last in both divisions are in first place as of week 2.

I hope somebody will give Montreal a run for thier money in the east this year. I'm getting a liitle tired of them getting a free pass to the east championship game every year.

The Green Riders didn't look bad but they got beat by a better team on Saturday. Pretty good game.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:26pm
Yeah, watched the game last night with my grandparents and they were looking really good.  I think part of it is that their O-Line has really shaped up.  Patrick Kabongo lost 100 pounds in the off-season, apparently he can move faster than he has since high school.  He said he had to give up cookies LOL

I don't understand what happened with Saskatchewan yesterday, they looked like they were outplaying Montreal for most of the game but sort of got thrashed in the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic