MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dream Theater's New Song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What do you think of Dream Theater's new song: On The Backs Of Angels?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.35%]
4 [17.39%]
16 [69.57%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater's New Song
    Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:03pm

Give it a listen if you haven't.  This is just a song from their new album.  Personally, I think it's below what they're capable, but not garbage so I give it the "Below average for DT" rating.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:34pm
I found it slightly annoying, especially the synths.  Like the guitar and bass playing and especially Trooch's tone, though.  Call it average.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:39pm
I'll call it average.  That's only after 2 listens, so it can still grow (or shrink Wink) on me.  I think I like it better than their previous lead-off, A Rite of Passage.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:44pm
Yeah, I'd absolutely say it's better than A Rite of Passage.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Yeah, I'd absolutely say it's better than A Rite of Passage.

My initial distaste of that song didn't really change after repeated listens.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:19pm
After a couple of listens I'd say average also. I'm thinking that this is the first single and is probably the most "mainstream friendly" track on the album...I hope.
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

After a couple of listens I'd say average also. I'm thinking that this is the first single and is probably the most "mainstream friendly" track on the album...I hope.

Completely agree - I still have hope for the album because I suspect this to be the worst song.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:27pm
2nd option!
Inexistence is the true normality.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:29pm
I'd say it's a pretty average DT song. But I hated A Rite of Passage, and I find it better. If the rest of the album is better than this though, It'll be better than Black Clouds in my opinion.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:37pm
3rd option. I've listened to it three times now and it's grown on me with every listen, but it doesn't come close to a single song from Black Clouds, which was easily one of their best albums IMO. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 4:44pm
#3 for me mostly because it sounded a lot like BC&SL which I saw as an average DT album.

m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:58am
After much listens, i'd say below average, at least below my expectations. The track don't have any impact on me, I don't remember the melody that much.

And the drumming is 'standard' .

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:59am
I was just thinking that the cover reminded me of Fish-era Marillion (Mark Wilkinson).  The colours in particular.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

After much listens, i'd say below average, at least below my expectations. The track don't have any impact on me, I don't remember the melody that much.

And the drumming is 'standard' .

Yeah, it's a shame Mangini didn't write anything. Unhappy
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:16pm
^Maybe the guys wants to take more place in the band musically now that MP is gone.
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:36pm
I listened to it once.....it was right, I surprisingly like Mangini;s drumming.  Definitely a more progressive rock direction.

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:47pm
I like it, great song , many nice layers and catchy, spessially the  intro was good, it gives me the warm welcoming feeling of hearing DT and that allways gives me some comfort, I know im in a safe hand when I know some of the best muscians are doing what they love the most, writing classic progressive metal as they doo best, and MM fits the band perfect his drum sound is very crisp and very fitting to the sound.

so yeah not like a new Metropols part 1 or anything but it is certainly a song that I apresiated i guess i could like this album.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:18pm
I think the song is decent, but I'm really looking forward to the album.

The artwork, however, had better not be on the album otherwise I will shred it and then burn it.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 9:26am
Option 3... far from their best, but a good song IMO. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Coffin Joe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:02am
I would say it's an average DT song. It's not mind blowing good, but it's good. I had hoped they would come out blazing with something entirely new and untried...but I can see, it's a lot to ask Big smile But eventhough they stick with their usual prog metal writing, it's pretty solid - and it should be considering the talent involved. But an average DT song is still way ahead of their peers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic