MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amorphis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amorphis
    Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:17am
Anyone here is such a big fan of this amazing Finnish band as I am? After DT, they are my favorite metal band ever.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 2:16am
Around the time when Tales... and Elegy came out I was a big fan of the band, but I lost interest in them after that. I�ve started picking up the albums I haven�t listened to in the last couple of years though and I�m enjoying what I�ve heard so far. I�ll never be a giant fan, but Amorphis are one of those rare acts with a signature sound and that�s always admirable.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 3:39am
They're a band I need to explore, I only know the odd handful of songs from them.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:11am
Knowing your "usual" taste Adam, I�d recommend that you listen to the last 4 albums. The albums with TJ as the lead vocalist.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:33am
A band I only know in name Cry
I have a lot on my plate to digest but I'll throw em on, what can I expect?
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:42am
Depends on which albums you are planning to listen to. The band have gone through quite a few eras and two rather significant lead vocalist changes in their career. The first album is more or less old school Scandinavian death metal while Tales...incorporate a lot of melodic leads and ethnic Scandinavian atmosphere. It�s the album that put them on the map. Elegy takes a progressive turn...and I hope Teo will continue from hereSmile.

Edited by UMUR - 23 Jun 2011 at 4:42am
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:04am
they are awesome, i listen to them when I shower, and when im not in the shower, and they use FANTASTIC mellotron lines that melts my heart.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:14am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

A band I only know in name Cry
I have a lot on my plate to digest but I'll throw em on, what can I expect?
epic melodic metal, but also growls (like Opeth), mythical themed lyrics and soundscapes, scandinavian type metal with some klassikal inlfuenced melodies, great guitaring and drumming, and wonderfull intros to the songs. i love them actualy and if you like Opeth Wink Amorphis is highly didjestable, if you married the brutality of Opeth with the melodic agression of In Flames you will get an Amorphis (to my deff ears Embarrassed)
the first album was released in 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010, so they have been around as long as Opeth also,

Edited by Balthamel - 23 Jun 2011 at 5:17am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:18am
Hmmm interesting.
Well...I'm iffy with melodeath, all depends on how they do it though you know I am a huge Opeth fan.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:31am
IMO Amorphis has very little to do with melodeath. I like the term epic melodic metal betterThumbs Up.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:33am
but Amorphis melodies are muuuuuuuuch deeper and though out then any (of the few) melodeaf bands I have heard, it is very dence and 70s ish, progish, so its not like suggarcute melodies with raspy growls but layerd melodies with awesome varied singing from a rich tenor voice to a deep growler, and some intence riffing along the lines, (shuggara shuggara shuggara riffs. they are MUCH more sofisticated then In Flames ( and In flames is kinda sofisticated but not right thar). Amorphis melds the molodies with 70s richness

i can give uno example monsiour, some wonderfull vocal arrangement in the choires,

i also must show thee the majestic brootal side of (the only album I have of them for the moment, since their earlyer albums are much more death metalish)

Edited by Balthamel - 23 Jun 2011 at 5:37am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:04am
^Clap
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:31am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

IMO Amorphis has very little to do with melodeath. I like the term epic melodic metal betterThumbs Up.

that is comforting LOL

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:04am
The only Amorphis album I own is The Karelian Isthmus.  It's not bad, but not all that memorable.  It only cost like 3 dollars so I can't complain.  I could see myself eventually getting the next few albums in their discography.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:30am
The first one is probably their least interesting album IMO.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:34am
i think the T 666 forgott his thread since he have not responded yet Stern Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:55pm
I�m sure Teo will pop in when he has the time and if not this thread spawned a bit of forum activity and that�s always positiveThumbs Up
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 1:55pm
yeah

i need to buy some of the earlyer Amorphis albums, I like their use of Kalevala mythologie and it gives it a spessial vibe to the music.

i really would have hoped that Norway had a normal non-black metal band that were as fresh as Opeth is for Sweden and Amorphis is for Finland, (I was on a Enslaved concert last week and the music is good, but it is still got that BM sound, and I would really like to hear a metal band that is nether copying the American metal core scene nor revamping the Black Metal sound but are daring enough to play eclectic and mysterious metal (it can have the folk elements of the more folkish side of BM, but not  only restrict to that. a band that make music from Norse mythology but are not pure black or 70% black or such. but show eclecticism like Amorphis, Opeth and Mastodon, Isis, and other bands with layers and free minds)

Edited by Balthamel - 23 Jun 2011 at 1:58pm
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:10pm
Sounds like a good band, I'll have to look into them. ^Those videos you posted before where pretty cool, too.

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:13pm
i doo my best to satisfy my friends and followers Evil Smile Clown Nuke
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic