MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amorphis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:36pm
Well, very nice responses. I guess I'm the only one here who has ALL their albums, from Privilege of Evil to Beginning of Times. I discovered them like 16 years ago, while listening to a death metal compilation by Nuclear Blast/Relapse called "Death III: it's just the beginning". Among dozens of horrendous tracks, a few were quite good, and the best was "Forgotten Sunrise" by this unknown Finnish band with the weird name. As I love Sibelius (in classical music, my favorite type of music since I was a child) I wanted to check how Finnish metal sounded like. A few months later I saw their video for "Against Widows" in MTV of all places and I decided to buy "Elegy". If you want a description of that album, check my incredibly-subjective-and-not-impartial review here in MMA .

As described, Amorphis has a cold sound, unique of them, a mix of a few styles. Their first album (EP) is quite horrible, but The Karelian Ishtmus shows some promise already. Tales From a Thousand Lakes, where the legendary track came from, is already a little masterpiece of melodic death. But Elegy really changed things. That album is one of my favorites of all time (again, my review shows the love), with enormous amounts of melody and Finnish inspiration. In this album the cold-as-ice vocals of Pasi Koskinen made their debut (I liked them a lot). Tuonela is their best though, a masterpiece with clear Floydian-Hakwind influences, reviewed also by yours truly. Am Universum continues the trend and Far Off the Sun represents the first real slip in quality. Out goes Koskinen, in comes Joutsen, a better singer technically (who can do his own growls) but I still long for Koskinen vocals. Eclipse a d Silent Waters were good albums in typical Scandinavian death metal vein but it was Skyforger (again, reviewed) which brought them almost back to the level of Elegy and Tuonela. Their most recent has failed to ignite the same passion in me but it's a grower, I hope.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:37pm
Oh by the way their album of re-recordings of songs from the Tales and Koskinen eras with Tomy Joutsen is atrocious.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:32am
^I hear you there. Don�t go there if you are a newcommer to the bandDead
boysmithers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysmithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 4:36pm
One of my favourite bands! Also the band that got me into extreme metal.
I'd recommend:

Tales From the Thousand Lakes (1994)
It's got seriously guttural death vocals and VERY catchy tunes, I just can't help gargling along with "Drowned Maid" & "In the Beginning"

Elegy (1996)
Half death / half AMAZING 70S INSPIRED PROG! This is probably the album to start with.

Am Universum (2001)
A strange album! Kind of like The Doors if they were a metal band (???) their most psychedelic album, layers and layers of effects-heavy guitars, awesome Hammond organ and saxophone sprayed liberally over the top.

Silent Waters (2007)
Their second album with Tomi Joutsen singing. More folky than "Eclipse" it tells the story of Lemminkainen from The Kalevala.

(Also I quite like the one with the big pike on the cover)
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 8:13am

I'm a big fan of the Pasi Koskinen albums and EPs, I've followed them since 'Am Universum'.
I'm not too fond of the first two albums. But ok, I'm not to keen on Death metal in general so that might explain it.

I find the Joutsen albums good but somewhat formulaic. Hope the new one will be a clear-cut Prog album, as I can no longer handle the absurdity of Amorphis not being in Prog-Metal on PA. Stern Smile

Edited by bonnek - 07 Sep 2011 at 8:14am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:55am
^LOLDream on Karl, Dream on...Big smile.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^LOLDream on Karl, Dream on...Big smile.

A quick peak at the new release shattered all remaining hope Cry
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 1:12pm
I haven�t heard the album yet, but my guess is, it sounds more or less like the last couple of albums by the band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image