Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NWoBHM other than Iron Maiden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NWoBHM other than Iron Maiden
    Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 12:32am
What is your top 10 NWoBHM albums not including Maiden? I'm sure Eddy and company would dominate the list.Nuke

My top 10:

1. Angel Witch - s/t
2. Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations
3. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
4. Saxon - Wheels Of Steel
5. Legend - Death In The Nursery
6. Praying Mantis - Time Tells No Lie
7. Saxon - Denim And Leather
8. Satan - Court In the Act
9. Witchfinder General - Friends Of Hell
10. Saxon - Strong Arm Of The Law

Edited by cannon - 11 Jun 2011 at 12:32am
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 9:19pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 9:25pm
I would make a list but it would end up being a Motorhead album and the rest Judas Priest, LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I would make a list but it would end up being a Motorhead album and the rest Judas Priest, LOL

I hear ya. I'm not a huge fan of the sub genre myself though Maiden is huge. I doubt I could come up with a top 25 list excluding Maiden> with Maiden, not a problem.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 9:43pm
My problem is mainly that I haven't listened to anything other than the 3 or 4 biggest bands in the genre.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 10:08pm

My problem is mainly that I haven't listened to anything other than the 3 or 4 biggest bands in the genre.

There is real drop off from Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon. Priest I've always never put them under NWoBHM and for that matter Motorhead as well. Motorhead formed in the mid 70's and Priest in 1969 and thier first release in 1974. I've seen both bands placed in NWoBHM. I'm not saying that either band should/shouldn't be placed there but IMO I wouldn't label them as NWoBHM.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:52am

Both Priest and Motorhead had a fairly radical sound change around the time of the NWoBHM and were a major part of making it all happen, so I think it's fair to consider the albums they released back then as NWoBHM. NWoBHM is not a genre, sound or style, but a movement that raised the profile of heavy metal kicking and screaming from the underground where it had lurked for nearly 2 decades into the full glare of the condescending glitterati, where it proudly assumed its rightful place, with bands like Maiden becoming one of the biggest selling acts of all time.

Priest were responsible for the bulk of the sounds and style - a vast amount of the music can be traced back to them (or more accurately, The Sweet, who deserve far more credit for metal than they get!), and Motorhead were always there at the fringe, in the more powerful, heavy and more "dangerous" soungin bands, promoting acts like Saxon, Girlschool et all.

To me, British Steel and Ace of Spades are seminal, genre defining NWoBHM albums.

So are Strangers in the Night, If You Want Blood You've Got It, Fire of Unknown Origin, Heaven and Hell, and a whole bunch of other albums by acts who formed a long time before the movement started.

NWoBHM was a combination of old acts and new acts, all coming together and (I really hate this term, but it's what they did) pushing the boundaries of metal music as it was in the late 1970s, particularly Motorhead, who were firmly in both metal and punk camps, while being rooted in rock and roll and infused with 1960s heavy psyche, blues, and all the other ingredients of metal.

The new acts that really made it happen, from where I stood, were Maiden, Samson, Saxon, Girlschool and Angelwitch (first and foremost), Diamond Head, Raven, Holocaust, Vardis in the early days, Def Leppard, Dio, Tygers of Pan Tang, Rock Godess and Venom in the "second" wave.

But first and foremost, the NWoBHM was a time for fans to get involved and create the music;

Top 10 obscurites and lesser-knowns to check out. Most are near impossible to track down - so I have put videos in the bands biographies for your delectation and head-banging pleasure:

10. Voltz - Knight's Fall
9. Marquis de Sade - Somewhere Over The Mountains
8. Stormqueen - Battle of Britain
7. Mithrandir - Dreamers of Fortune and Magick
6. Hell - Save Us From Those Who Would Save Us
5. Bleak House - Lions in Winter and Rainbow Warrior
4. Jaguar - Back Street Woman/Chasing the Dragon and Axe Crazy/War Machine
3. Vardis - 100 MPH
2. Tyrant - Hold Back The LIghtning/Eyes of a Stranger
1. Satan - Court in the Act

Some of the best music came from bands that weren't British - but I don't let that get in the way of them being NWoBHM. Bands like Trust, Krokus, Acid, Sodom or Loudness, for example, or even The Scorpions, whose "Animal Magnetism" and "Blackout" albums are classic NWoBHM.

Essential listening;

220 Volt - the early demos.
Legend - From The Fjords.
Anvil - Forged in Fire.
ACID - ACID.
Sodom - Witching Metal.

NWoBHM is where it all happened. Metal might have existed before then, but only hardcore fans knew about it, and everyone else treated it with suspicion and even hatred.

The small acts are where all the true jewels lie - the big acts found a mainstream and tailored their music, while the little bands played whatever the f**k they wanted to, and paved the way for what we have now.

LAY DOWN YOUR SOUL TO THE GODS ROCK AND ROLL...

Edited by Certif1ed - 13 Jun 2011 at 2:52am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:05am
I have two ACID albums, and - even though they're not a British act, - they almost sound more British than many of the British acts of the time (apart from their Flemish accent, of course).
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:12am
what about the germen guitarist Rudi van Pell (or similar to that ) he is also somewhat sounding like that 
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:44am
No question Motorhead and Priest were part of the wave with thier most successful releases of Ace Of Spades and British Steel in 1980 and thier influence on the other bands is huge. For me, I place Motorhead in traditional HM and speed metal before I put them into NWoBHM. Priest in traditional HM and proto-metal.

Let me say that I don't place in a band in anyone genre. That's too easy and in most cases doesn't represent thier music. For the record, sometimes when I'm in discussion in a thread I'm not going to list all the sub-genres I think the band fall in.

I take 1980 as the "start" of NWoBHM generally though the movement started in the late '70's.

Some say Quartz' s/t debut from 1977 is the first album released from the NWoBHM. It might well be but IMO and from what I hear it's recycled Sabbath with tinges of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple and not the musical style and structure that defines the music of NWoBHM.

Cetifif1ed I will definitely check out your 10 obscure band recommendations.Thumbs Up
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:19am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

I hear ya. I'm not a huge fan of the sub genre myself though Maiden is huge. I doubt I could come up with a top 25 list excluding Maiden> with Maiden, not a problem.

I'd love to put a list together, as with most polls like this I would struggle to reduce it to a best 100, let alone 10.

As with any genre, its down to personal taste and the time you can commit to listen to it.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:22am

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

NWoBHM is where it all happened. Metal might have existed before then, but only hardcore fans knew about it, and everyone else treated it with suspicion and even hatred.

The small acts are where all the true jewels lie - the big acts found a mainstream and tailored their music, while the little bands played whatever the f**k they wanted to, and paved the way for what we have now.

LAY DOWN YOUR SOUL TO THE GODS ROCK AND ROLL...

Approve

...and it makes it even more special when you were part of it. Being the old, balding fart I am LOL

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:26am

No question Motorhead and Priest were part of the wave with thier most successful releases of Ace Of Spades and British Steel in 1980 and thier influence on the other bands is huge. For me, I place Motorhead in traditional HM and speed metal before I put them into NWoBHM. Priest in traditional HM and proto-metal.

Let me say that I don't place in a band in anyone genre. That's too easy and in most cases doesn't represent thier music. For the record, sometimes when I'm in discussion in a thread I'm not going to list all the sub-genres I think the band fall in.

I take 1980 as the "start" of NWoBHM generally though the movement started in the late '70's.

Some say Quartz' s/t debut from 1977 is the first album released from the NWoBHM. It might well be but IMO and from what I hear it's recycled Sabbath with tinges of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple and not the musical style and structure that defines the music of NWoBHM.

Cetifif1ed I will definitely check out your 10 obscure band recommendations.Thumbs Up

As I have stated above Phil.  It's all down to taste.

Quartz's Satans' Serenade 12" is probably the most played slab of vinyl in all my collection.

Check it out Wink

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:54am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

As I have stated above Phil.  It's all down to taste.

Quartz's Satans' Serenade 12" is probably the most played slab of vinyl in all my collection.

Check it out Wink

Great track! Just listened to it on youtube. Sounds more like the NWoBHM sound to my ears than thier first album. I only have thier first album and have to admit I haven't heard anything else from the band. My assessment was on the band's s/t debut from 1977.  I'll have to listen to some tracks from thier other albums and hear the differences/contrasts from thier first.

I thought I'd post the song for others to check out. Thanx for the recommendation Colt.Cool

Edited by cannon - 13 Jun 2011 at 5:54am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 6:12am
It shames me to say that I never really looked into the NWoBHM movement beyond Iron Maiden, although I did recently pick up the Hell album that recently came out.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 6:23am

(snip) 

Not sure about Quartz - Priest's "Sin After Sin" also dates from 1977, and bears all the hallmarks. Sweet's "Fanny Adams" contains a lot of music that Priest based their "second" sound on (the two Gull records are both a kind of Sabbath extension to my ears (hardly surprising given Rodger Bain produced both bands and Priest were initially (mis)handled by Iommi's management company) - great music, but not NWoBHM).  The title track of "Fanny Adams" sounds a bit like "Ripper", which itself kinda defines the Priest sound. Sweet's guitarist was Steve Priest, of course, and the band were from Birmingham...

It bears repeating that there is no musical style or structure that defines the music of NWoBHM - Praying Mantis are a completely different genre of music to Venom, and Tygers of Pan Tang sound nothing like Jaguar, Vardis or Avenger or AngelWitch, Raven or Demon... the commonalities are very few - a large number bands had real individual identities. Sure, there were the Priest clones by the score, but this is why I bang on about NWoBHM not being a genre or musical style, but a movement. Examples at the end of this post Big smile

1980 is when it started blowing up - it definitely started before then; Geoff Barton coined the term in 1979, so it must've "existed" for some time prior to that. I first became aware of it in '79, when Motorhead's "Bomber" actually entered the top 40 at the same kind of time as AC/DC's "Touch Too Much", IIRC. AC/DC are another band whose sound radically changed in 1980 - but I think that "Highway To Hell" (1979) is almost as much a quantum leap over Powerage (1978) as Back in Black (1980) is over Highway.

The years 1979-1984 saw amazing leaps in terms of metal production, from the glassy edges of Highway, through the thick, crushing tones of Heaven and Hell all the way up to the standard-setter, "Ride The Lightning" (not NWoBHM, but NWoBHM was directly responsible for that album's creation!). The density of the music made this necessary, as necessity is proverbially the mother of invention. Early NWoBHM recordings and demos overwhelmed the equipment and engineer's skills, and need to be treated with care, as the production can get in the way of the music if you're not careful!

If we confine ourselves to the most visible acts, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Diamond Head and Def Leppard, then the "start date" must be some time in 1977/8, shortly after punk entered its self-inflicted death throes. We can't really be any more precise - and arguments for bands like Quartz are absolutely rife, but I've yet to see an argument even nearly as convincing as the case for Sweet.

But Sweet were 1974 (as were Queen, the other major innovator of metal) - the year before metal really came of age, setting itself firmly apart from Hard Rock (Black Sabbath and their many lesser-known clones were always the big exception, and had little direct musical influence on the NWoBHM). Metal turned from proto into the full-blown thing with amazing albums like "Phenomenon" (UFO), "In Trance" (Scorps) and the criminally posthumously released "On Parole" (Motorhead - yes, that really was recorded in 1975) - not forgetting Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, Budgie et al, all "fringe" bands when it came to the NWoBHM.

As Colt says, there are so many more - it's like proto metal in so many ways - the more you dig, the more amazing surprises you discover. Those kids may have been factory workers and road menders, but their musical creation prowess literally knew no boundaries. They didn't so much tear up the rule book as ignore it because they couldn't read - and made up their own LOL

Edited by Certif1ed - 13 Jun 2011 at 6:37am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:59am
I don't have any NWOBHM bands in my collection aside from Maiden and Motorhead.  Some put Priest as a NWOBHM band, but they arguably had already become a big name before the movement began.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

(snip) 

Not sure about Quartz - Priest's "Sin After Sin" also dates from 1977, and bears all the hallmarks. Sweet's "Fanny Adams" contains a lot of music that Priest based their "second" sound on (the two Gull records are both a kind of Sabbath extension to my ears (hardly surprising given Rodger Bain produced both bands and Priest were initially (mis)handled by Iommi's management company) - great music, but not NWoBHM).  The title track of "Fanny Adams" sounds a bit like "Ripper", which itself kinda defines the Priest sound. Sweet's guitarist was Steve Priest, of course, and the band were from Birmingham...

It bears repeating that there is no musical style or structure that defines the music of NWoBHM - Praying Mantis are a completely different genre of music to Venom, and Tygers of Pan Tang sound nothing like Jaguar, Vardis or Avenger or AngelWitch, Raven or Demon... the commonalities are very few - a large number bands had real individual identities. Sure, there were the Priest clones by the score, but this is why I bang on about NWoBHM not being a genre or musical style, but a movement. Examples at the end of this post Big smile

1980 is when it started blowing up - it definitely started before then; Geoff Barton coined the term in 1979, so it must've "existed" for some time prior to that. I first became aware of it in '79, when Motorhead's "Bomber" actually entered the top 40 at the same kind of time as AC/DC's "Touch Too Much", IIRC. AC/DC are another band whose sound radically changed in 1980 - but I think that "Highway To Hell" (1979) is almost as much a quantum leap over Powerage (1978) as Back in Black (1980) is over Highway.

The years 1979-1984 saw amazing leaps in terms of metal production, from the glassy edges of Highway, through the thick, crushing tones of Heaven and Hell all the way up to the standard-setter, "Ride The Lightning" (not NWoBHM, but NWoBHM was directly responsible for that album's creation!). The density of the music made this necessary, as necessity is proverbially the mother of invention. Early NWoBHM recordings and demos overwhelmed the equipment and engineer's skills, and need to be treated with care, as the production can get in the way of the music if you're not careful!

If we confine ourselves to the most visible acts, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Diamond Head and Def Leppard, then the "start date" must be some time in 1977/8, shortly after punk entered its self-inflicted death throes. We can't really be any more precise - and arguments for bands like Quartz are absolutely rife, but I've yet to see an argument even nearly as convincing as the case for Sweet.

But Sweet were 1974 (as were Queen, the other major innovator of metal) - the year before metal really came of age, setting itself firmly apart from Hard Rock (Black Sabbath and their many lesser-known clones were always the big exception, and had little direct musical influence on the NWoBHM). Metal turned from proto into the full-blown thing with amazing albums like "Phenomenon" (UFO), "In Trance" (Scorps) and the criminally posthumously released "On Parole" (Motorhead - yes, that really was recorded in 1975) - not forgetting Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, Budgie et al, all "fringe" bands when it came to the NWoBHM.

As Colt says, there are so many more - it's like proto metal in so many ways - the more you dig, the more amazing surprises you discover. Those kids may have been factory workers and road menders, but their musical creation prowess literally knew no boundaries. They didn't so much tear up the rule book as ignore it because they couldn't read - and made up their own LOL

Thanx for the vids Mark.Cool

Sweet doesn't get the recognisation of being a big influence on metal IMO. Desolation Boulevard is one of the first albums I bought back 35 years old along with Kiss in grade 5 @10 years old. Big fan of the band and even like thier first album, though it be bubblegum/glam pop.Embarrassed

In my 5th. post I stated that I "generally" take 1980 as the start of NWoBHM though I did know it was in it's early formations/development in the late '70's. Here in NA from what I remembered is Maiden's "The Number Of The Beast" that opened the flood gates to this new metal. The first NWoBHM record I bought was Maiden's Killers in 1981 followed by Wheels Of Steel by Saxon as I heard these two on a Seattle rock station program titled, "Metal Shop" that ony came on once a week for an hour. You being in England at that time(I'm guessing on your age) that you saw/heard it first hand. (note: A few years later the neo-prog movement also developed in England spear headed by Marillion and had very little impact here in NA and I didn't even know about until the early '90's. BTW, I'm not a fan of this prog sub-genre. I label it as progressive pop and some of the bands are unlistenable to me, even Marillion and that's without not trying. Progressive? IMO it was more regressiveWink).

I don't confine myself to the most visible(popular) artists of a certain genre, but with that being said I have other listening priorities, most of the sub-genres of prog, proto-metal/heavy psych/hard rock, blues rock from both sides of the Atlantic, traditional doom, stoner/metal/rock and some "classic" artists and with that there is only so much time I have to listen music as I have a "relatively" large library and just can't listen/buy to everything. I consider myself very open in taking recommendations on artists and/or genres.

As for NWoBHM, of course there isn't one style as per say(I was implying generally). No music genre is black and white) as I can hear the difference and the influences between Witchfinder General to Def Leppard to Venom. Like you stated there is so much more once you start digging into it.

There is so much good music out there, old and new that it is a never ending quest and at times I get overwhelmed with so many choices on what to listen to and to buy on that very long list.LOL Practability also comes into play. Finances, time, availability, listening priorty, etc.

Edited by cannon - 13 Jun 2011 at 12:36pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 2:30pm
Agony Bag are certainly worthchecking out - they were extremely weird... the good way.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 10:37pm
1. Satan: Court In The Act.
2. Dark Star: Dark Star.
3. Saxon: Wheels Of Steel.
4. Tygers Of Pan Tang: Crazy Nights.
5. Witchfinder General: Death Penalty.
6. Wolf/Black Axe: Edge Of The World.
7. Venom: Black Metal.
8. Saxon: Denim And Leather.
9. Angel Witch: Angel Witch.
10. Witchfinder General: Friends Of Hell.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic