Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DREAM THEATER: New Album Details Revealed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DREAM THEATER: New Album Details Revealed
    Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 1:38am
Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER have set "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" as the title of their new album, tentatively due in early September via Roadrunner Records. The CD is currently being mixed by Andy Wallace, who has previously worked with AVENGED SEVENFOLD, WHITE ZOMBIE, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, SEPULTURA, SLAYER and NIRVANA, among many others.

"I'm incredibly psyched with the way this album came out and can't wait to share it with everybody," guitarist John Petrucci, who also serves as the producer for "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", said. "We are currently in the mix stage with the great Andy Wallace and it's all sounding amazing!"

"We have poured our hearts and minds into the creation of this album," keyboardist Jordan Rudess offered. "All the life changing events that surrounded us before, as well as during the whole process, fueled our desire to dig deep within ourselves and create the best music we possibly could."

Vocalist James LaBrie said, "In the grand scheme of DREAM THEATER's career, the last several months have been such an incredibly positive, fulfilling and rewarding experience. The new songs and sound has never been so spirited or rejuvenating. I cannot wait for every one of our fans to sink their audio senses into this batch of tunes."

"A Dramatic Turn Of Events" track listing:

01. On The Backs Of Angels
02. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
03. Lost Not Forgotten
04. This Is The Life
05. The Shaman's Trance
06. Outcry
07. Far From Heaven
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Beneath The Surface

In a recent interview with Music Radar, Petrucci and Rudess were asked if the band's new drummer, Mike Mangini, contributed to the songwriting on the forthcoming CD. "Mike didn't write with us," Rudess replied. "Basically, we got in the studio and did our thing. We wrote songs and sent them to him. He came in and just nailed his parts. He's incredible. I'm finishing my keyboard parts right now, and I'll go to the computer to see how things are lining up, and I'm just speechless. The guy doesn't mess up!" [laughs]

"We had the demos, had them fully written out, and he learned them and added his own stuff," Petrucci stated. "But every time he would do something, if I said, 'Hey, can you do that again?' he'd do it, and it would be perfect. The guy is� he's out of his mind! [laughs] People are not going to believe how great he is."

"But what's really special about him is, he's not just a technician," Rudess added. "Yes, he plays his parts perfectly, but he comes at everything as a total musician. Everything he does has real soul and a depth of feeling."

When asked how not having DREAM THEATER's former drummer, Mike Portnoy, in the recording and writing process changed the band dynamic, Petrucci replied, "It was a lot quieter. [laughs] Mike Mangini's playing style is different. He plays very hard, but he's got a very deep groove. He almost plays behind the beat just a little bit � even through he's right on the money. He's extremely locked in, but if he does do something technical, he's still right there."

Source: Blabbermouth.net
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 1:49am
Really looking forward to the release. Black Clouds And Silver Linings became one of my top three DT albums. I'm hoping they somewhat stay in the realm of that album. September has alot of other new releases from other artists I'm in anticipation of.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 2:32am
It�s not secret I haven�t been the greatest Dream Theater fan since the late nineties but nevertheless I�ve always followed them and listened to their new releases and like Phil I also enjoyed Black Clouds quite a lot ( Especially the closing epic), so while I�m not in fan mode psyched about this new release, I�ll definitely check it out and write a review once it is released.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 8:34am
Always interested in what DT are up to even though I'm not really big on any of their albums after Six Degrees.  Some great songs since, but no great albums IMO.

Edited by Stooge - 08 Jun 2011 at 8:34am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 6:38pm
I'm really looking forward to this! I love all DT albums (I need to revise some of my reviews on PA/MMA), and this one should definitely be interesting! Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 7:02pm
Looking forward to an album with the new drummer.  I'm not sure how much he influenced this album, but it's going to be refreshing.  I'm not the biggest Portnoy fan.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 8:42pm
Is there any more of a polarising band than DT?  Not only in metal but in rock general.

I can't think of one off the top of my head.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 11:46pm
Well, I didn't like their last 2 at all (with BC&SL being really bad) so I hope they do something different.
What I don't know...but something LOL

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 2:00am
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Is there any more of a polarising band than DT?  Not only in metal but in rock general.

yeah it�s kind of interesting. I guess it�s because the fans are really hardcore fans and as a consequence the haters are really hardcore too.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 2:03am

Always Metallica LOL they take the cake since they are so well known.

I'm one of the rare "DT moderates" though I wouldn't mind if they mixed it up on their next album.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 5:58am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Always Metallica LOL they take the cake since they are so well known.

I'm one of the rare "DT moderates" though I wouldn't mind if they mixed it up on their next album.

Ya, Metallica. They seemed to take that on with the release of the "black" album. It was almost hypocritical.

I consider myself a DT moderate as well, but I don't think there is many of us out there.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 3:02pm
I just grabbed the latest Drumhead Magazine with Mangini on the cover, so I look forward to reading that later today.  Who knows if there are any details about the recording process or anything.  Prog fans out there should appreciate this issue since it also has an interview with John Weathers (Gentle Giant).

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 4:12pm
I've loved everything DT has put out, except When Dream and Day Unite, so needless to say I'll be picking this one up.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

I've loved everything DT has put out, except When Dream and Day Unite, so needless to say I'll be picking this one up.

EXCEPT THEIR BEST ALBUM LOL

also, those track names LOL
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 11:36pm
DT hasn't released any better album than SFAM in 1999, so not expecting anything high from this one, but curious to see how they perform with Mangini, although losing one of their driving force of songwriting could be painful for them though :)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 7:56am
Not the best quality but here�s the cover artwork: DREAM THEATER - A Dramatic Turn of Events cover
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:05am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Not the best quality but here�s the cover artwork: DREAM THEATER - A Dramatic Turn of Events cover

Meh.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:52am
WTF??? Just a few moments ago the image was thereWacko
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:53am
It still is!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:56am
That�s because I added the pic again. Is someone messin� with meAngry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic