MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Stanley Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who will win this years Stanley Cup?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [44.44%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [55.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:17pm
Yep, they are tied for first right now
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Im pulling for the New York Rangers, did they make the playoffs?

Rangers got beat out in the first round.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 11:21pm
ClapThumbs UpCool

Canucks win 1-0 and take a 3-2 lead. I had my eyes closed for the last two minutes. I can't believe we are one win away from the cup.

cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 2:33am
I turned off the game halfway through the first period last night. Luongo gave up two bad goals right off the start and said to myself, "here we go again". I's would of pulled him after the 2nd. goal but the coach left him in and pulled after the 3rd. Too late. You're going for the Stanley Cup, one win away and you leave him in the after the 2nd. goal and think you're going to get 3 goals past Timmy Thomas. Come on!

Oh well. Game 7. I don't think I can take it.Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 4:00am
I just saw last night on TV that there�s a Dane playing for the Canucks. Is he any good?
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 7:35am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I just saw last night on TV that there�s a Dane playing for the Canucks. Is he any good?

Jonas, he's pretty good. Yannik Nansen, age 25 and he's a right winger. One of the fastest skaters in the league and very hard working. He's improved so much this year and I would give him the trophy for most improved player on the Canucks.

In years past he's been a butt of jokes from some fans for his "hands." What I mean by that is his skill for stickhandling, goal scoring, and passing. This year he's been alot better at "finshing" plays and scoring goals. He's plays the role of a penalty killer, forechecker and as an "energy" player on the third line to gain momentum. A real nice guy and very polite when interviewed. A  workingman's hockey player.

I think there is four or five more Danes in the league. Other countries from Europe are producing very good players like Switzerland, Germany and Norway that aren't the traditional hockey playing countries.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:57am
This has been an ugly series thus far.  Close games in Vancouver, and one-sided affairs in Boston.  It's as if Vancouver is trying to make this series go 7 games despite having the lead. LOL
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 9:47am
Good games in Van but Luongo is absolutely brutal in Boston. I blame him and only him for this series going 7. He's getting paid the big money so I don't feel in the least quilty put the emphasis on him. I'm sure after that first goal last night I could hear the "ahhh" on the bench. It just deflated me and lost complete confindence in him. I'm sure the player's felt the same.

May the best team win and I'm hoping for a good, CLOSE game.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 7:27pm
Maybe the Canucks will score 3 goals.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:04pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!  I hope that's not for Luongo either. Wink
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!  I hope that's not for Luongo either. Wink

I thought about it. Then I thought about the play of LOU. I'm heading over to Vancouver tomorrow. I only have one shot. I better make it count.Wink
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

LOL
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 8:46pm

LOL

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 2:39am
So are you done trashing the city and fighting the police PhilWinkSmile? ( or maybe it was you kissing that nice girlBig smile)

I had heard that hockey fans were as bad as football fans when it came to violence and riots but this one was a rather big riot wasn�t it?

Edited by UMUR - 19 Jun 2011 at 2:39am
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 5:45am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

So are you done trashing the city and fighting the police PhilWinkSmile? ( or maybe it was you kissing that nice girlBig smile)

I had heard that hockey fans were as bad as football fans when it came to violence and riots but this one was a rather big riot wasn�t it?

LOL

I wish that was me kissing that lovely young lady Jonas.

I live over on Vancouver Island. It's about a two hour ferry trip from Vancouver. I've been there many times and it's a beautiful city, but way too big for me. I'm a country boy.

It's tough to say what I would of done if I was there at an earlier age(teens, twenties) and caught up in the pack mentallity. Being older and more mature(that could be arguedWink) and seeing all what went on I was angry, disgusted and amazed and somewhat in disbelief that this was happening again in almost the same circumstances 17 years ago. I think it would of happened if the Canucks did win as the anarchists were going to ignite the fuel no matter what the outcome of the game. After the anger, I was sad by the events and then proud of the people of Vancouver as lots of people came down where the riot and looting took place and help cleaned up and also the support and gratitude they showed for the police.

What I can recall is that Vancouver has the been the only city in the history of the NHL to riot to a direct outcome of a game or a playoff series. The only other time I can remember was back in Montreal in the 50's when the NHL suspended a star of the Montreal Canadiens.

Riots occured last year in San Francisco after the Giants won the World Series and the L.A. Lakers won the NBA championship but not not to the scale of what happened in Vancouver and I think it's happened in Pakistan or India(don't quote me on that) regarding cricket. So it happens everywhere.

The Vancouver police are getting sructinised for not be prepared and doing enough, fairly or unfairly. Last year in Toronto when we held the G-20 and the G-8 meetings the cops were critisized for being to "rough." Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think the city has moved on for the most part after the worldwide media attention. I don't want to see it happen again, anywhere.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 12:55pm
There were pseudo-riots in Edmonton during our run to game 7, but the difference is that those were every night for the series and also we didn't burn anything down.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 3:55pm

There were pseudo-riots in Edmonton during our run to game 7, but the difference is that those were every night for the series and also we didn't burn anything down.

There were also riots in Montreal in 1993, and I think 2 happened since the lockout, though they weren't nearly as big as the Vancouver one.  The 93 one I'm not sure how big it was.

Leaf fans like myself don't get much opportunity to riot.  The closest they've got in my lifetime was in 1993 and nothing happened.  There was the G20 summit in Toronto recently where there was some rioting, though they were more politically charged as opposed to throwing a tantrum over a game.  Still doesn't make it right.

Edited by Stooge - 19 Jun 2011 at 3:56pm
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 3:58pm

I can't remember that. I don't think anything happened in Calgary when they went to game 7 with Caralona. I could be wrong. The last three Canadian teams that have made the finals all have lost in game 7. I hope that changes very soon.

The Oilers are going to be alot better team next year. I think Taylor Hall would of won the Calder this past year if he didn't get hurt. I really enjoy watching him play along with Jordan Eberle. The foundation is there for a really good team and the team gets 1st. pick again this summer. We might be seeing Winnipeg in our division shortly.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 4:06pm
Yeah, Oilers are looking at a strong rebuild. 

here we go:
Quote 2006: When the Edmonton Oilers clinched the Western Conference title and advanced to the Stanley Cup playoffs, fans began setting fires and looting along Whyte Ave. Police made about 15 arrests and reprimanded hockey lovers for partying irresponsibly. The Oilers went on to lose the final.

from this article
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic