MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are the most important recipes in 80s AOR

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: 80s AOR soup (exept for pop recipe)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [40.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
1 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the most important recipes in 80s AOR
    Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:25am
this is related to bands like Boston, Foreigner, Asia, Toto, Journey, Saga, Survivour

I think AOR or Melodic rock bands (which i think is a better term) is hard to define, some of the reasons for that is the lack of one musical or stylistical imput, influence or what I like to say it lack of a red thred. You can hear hints of many different styles in these bands, that is some of the reason they are hard to add them to any  music Archive, or to get a hold on them.

I some how don't like the tag AOR becouse it have gane some negative rumour, it gives band that I see as very serious bands a bad reputation many of the band mentiond above are among the top acts in rock buisness some of them can play in cirkles around many of the bands in their time (not that techniqal skill equals good music). but they also manage to create good songs, albums, live shows, the sell out arenas, they sell multi millons platinum rocords, they have screaming girls in the crowd  Cry my envyous smile (i miss a Envy emoticon),

so enjoy this poll and make a good and interesting discussion and if I have forgotten one important band please don't be affraid to mention them

Edited by Balthamel - 03 Apr 2010 at 7:19am
aapatsos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:31pm
A much more melodic and commercial approach to rock/hard rock Wink but always enjoyable
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:20am
I have allowed multiple votes here since it is more then one genre needed to create perfect AOR/Melodic rock
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 7:38am
it's quite obviously progressive rock...   AoR is even thought by some musicologists to be a branch of progressive rock, so yeah progressive rock is the broth of the AOR soup.... that is why so many are considered progressive rock... or at least on the fringes of it.

look at where those bands came from... and who their primary influences were.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 8:15am
In the case for Foreigner I hear a mix of art rock and Country rock  influence, but also strong Soutern hardrock (Lynard Skynard) sound espessially on songs like Head Games, Hot Blooded, Soul Doctor and Juke Box hero

Edited by Balthamel - 03 Apr 2010 at 8:16am
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:32am
Progressive Rock Stern SmileWink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 7:05pm
none of the ingredients in your list.... or else a pinch of everyone in that list..   Had you put country rock, I might have voted for that (via the Eaglles and the Michael McDonald -type of vocals).

AOR

a few semi-prog bands turned into AOR kings - Journey being the most notable.... and of course there is Asia

But Fleetwood, Foreigner , REO Speedwagon and Toto hold just too little "prog" links.... for me to give  prog avote over the rest of the options

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic